+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your opinion on two unlikely heroes

your opinion on two unlikely heroes

Sorry y'all, I remain hopeful of Derby stumbling into the playoffs. But Gawd knows we need some new blood in the team, I think we'd accept it from Any quarter.

Unless I'm wrong, our squad gets a whole lot bigger at midnight on 6th May as clubs return players from loan. And in particular in two respects. Assuming Cardiff finish second and Reading finish nowhere, Messrs Bryson and Martin return to the fold, I understand fit and having done 'OK' at the clubs they have been loaned to.

Would you play them?

Martin wouldn't fit into Rowetts one and only formation and Bryson is still better than anything we've got. I think Mel will need to sit down with Gaz and start to work out where we go from here. I think next season will be even harder! If I was Mel I'd sell what I could, cash up and run as this club is going nowhere!

Haven't seen much evidence Rowett has a long term plan. Signings have just lumbered us with old high earners who will be hard to move on as Andy has shown. A lot of money paid for players like butterfield and others and may have to release them. People say Cloughie wasn't the man but had Rowett done anything to show he was the man other than being a good derby player. He gone down in my estimation as I think the Keogh situation is just for diverting attention away from him and has backfired. Keogh made mistakes but gives his all

Quote Originally Posted by Salopian0 View Post
    Haven't seen much evidence Rowett has a long term plan. Signings have just lumbered us with old high earners who will be hard to move on as Andy has shown. A lot of money paid for players like butterfield and others and may have to release them. People say Cloughie wasn't the man but had Rowett done anything to show he was the man other than being a good derby player. He gone down in my estimation as I think the Keogh situation is just for diverting attention away from him and has backfired. Keogh made mistakes but gives his all
    Tbf, Rowett didn’t sign Butterfield, he has been successful as a manager elsewhere and has inherited most of the problems we’ve got.

Reinstate Keogh but take off the Captains armband!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Tbf, Rowett didn’t sign Butterfield, he has been successful as a manager elsewhere and has inherited most of the problems we’ve got.
    I know he didn't sign butters RA but a good manager should be able to improve players like him and others and not bring in other players who don't improve us and make the problem worse. Read today that west ham in for Thomas from u23s and what would make him stay when he's behind a lot of others on big long contracts. Very few players as you know have improved under Rowett. His success previously was very similar to Cloughie before he came to us bar a short stint at bmingham

I know he didn't sign butters RA but a good manager should be able to improve players like him and others and not bring in other players who don't improve us and make the problem worse. Read today that west ham in for Thomas from u23s and what would make him stay when he's behind a lot of others on big long contracts. Very few players as you know have improved under Rowett. His success previously was very similar to Cloughie before he came to us bar a short stint at bmingham
    Or...he’s been a success at Burton and Birmingham...he inherited an unsettled squad of overpaid underachievers...and the issues surrounding the likes of Ince, Martin, Bryson, Butterfield, Christie and Shackell were not of his making.
    He’s far from the finished article...appeared to be let down badly in the summer transfer window and didn’t do particularly well in the January one, but he has brought us Wisdom - who everyone wanted back - and Curtis Davies who, imo, has been a very good signing.
    It’s all about perspective...mine is that he walked into a situation which has been very tricky since McClaren (Part 1) started playing his games and Rush did whatever he has or has not done. There are no instant fixes and it’s been more than disappointing since mid January but I’d stick with him and get some scouts who are capable of finding some undiscovered gems instead of just recycling more of the same.
    Think we’d all agree that Vydra’s game has improved.

Yes I see what you're saying but why go out and buy before you have judged the youth teams. Thought he was going to give them a chance when he picked Bennett in early squads but brought in Hudds And ledley when we have talented youth midfielders ,maybe they would have failed but give them a chance.I would expect those two to control the midfield in games but they haven't . I know you're bringing in that Maybe his hands were a bit tied due to fair play restrictions but if these two are not the answer what to do, put them with Bryson Johnson Butters Thorne Hanson and buy some more .I don't think we can credit him with bringing the best out of vydra because we knew he was a good player given the chance in the right position

Yes I see what you're saying but why go out and buy before you have judged the youth teams. Thought he was going to give them a chance when he picked Bennett in early squads but brought in Hudds And ledley when we have talented youth midfielders ,maybe they would have failed but give them a chance.I would expect those two to control the midfield in games but they haven't . I know you're bringing in that Maybe his hands were a bit tied due to fair play restrictions but if these two are not the answer what to do, put them with Bryson Johnson Butters Thorne Hanson and buy some more .I don't think we can credit him with bringing the best out of vydra because we knew he was a good player given the chance in the right position
    I too see where you’re coming from but do we have talented youth players? Bennett has always been one who flatters to deceive. It’s a long time now since he was going to be the ‘next big thing’ and he never seems to have done much even when he’s been loaned out to League One.
    As regards Vydra...I think towards the end of last season everyone would have got rid of him but Rowett does seem to have got something like the best out of him. More to come if he stays and gets properly fit I think.
    My heart would sink though, as a manager/boss, at the thought of all these unsettled and grossly overpaid players coming back. Not so much Bryson maybe and I’d never have let Lowe go...but Butterfield, Martin, Shackell and the Thorne question...GR’s not to blame for any of that.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 20-04-2018 at 12:52 PM.

20 points from the last 18 games is the form we would currently take into next season........ drastic rebuild required.

Bogle at RB, Wisdom at CH alongside CD. Max Lowe at LB.

Hudds or a fit (if it ever happens) GT as DM (or Hanson?). Lawro centrally ahead of Hudds/GT/Hanson. Weimann and Thomas out wide. Vydra with a free role and a CF up top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)