+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We'll take more care of you . . .

We'll take more care of you . . .

Fashanu, Fashanu.

John Fashanu doing his best to deflect (again) how badly he treated Justin about his ***uality.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...justin-1474825

Bumped in to Justin many times on a saturday night in town in the early eighties. was always a true gentlemen, fully participated in any banter and always had at least two stunning women on his arm whenever you saw him!

Looks like Tony Woodcock in the background of the photo against Arsenal...?

Quite possibly the saddest story connected with Notts I can think of in my time supporting them. He was the first new signing we made after I started attending. You can't really blame his brother too much, I think he's doing the right thing now and Justin would be very proud of him.

I would say the Arsenal player in the background center is Graham Rix with Kenny Sansom on the right, Stewart Robson trying to beat Fash to the header? What an absolute gem of a goal that was. Will never forget it.
    RIP Fash.

Was Justin Fashanu a good player for Notts? I'm too young to have seen him.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Was Justin Fashanu a good player for Notts? I'm too young to have seen him.
    As I remember it, he used to take some stick from the crowd for not chasing down defenders and loose balls but he was quality and had a decent scoring ratio. Probably would have been among our best ever if he had got his private life sorted out (I think he was very conflicted, especially at that time) and not had the injury. If I was making an all time Notts squad of 22 he wouldnt be in the starting 11 but definitely a contender for the bench.

I remember the astonishment in the press that an ex £million player had signed for little old Notts County.

I remember that he struggled to score goals, at least early on, on one occasion, he rose in front of goal, unchallenged and everyone expected him to bury it but he tried to be too emphatic with the header and cleared the bar.

A while back there was talk of a "group" of footballers coming out as gay at the same time, I think that's probably the best way to do it and once a group of players are out any others would hopefully feel more confident in doing it. It's about time, I don't think anyone in the stands other than the idiots who would shout stupid things and get kicked out anyway, would do much and I'd imagine/hope they'd be quickly shut up by fans around them.

In womens sports, specifically football, there are countless gay players and nobody bats an eyelid about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    A while back there was talk of a "group" of footballers coming out as gay at the same time, I think that's probably the best way to do it and once a group of players are out any others would hopefully feel more confident in doing it. It's about time, I don't think anyone in the stands other than the idiots who would shout stupid things and get kicked out anyway, would do much and I'd imagine/hope they'd be quickly shut up by fans around them.

In womens sports, specifically football, there are countless gay players and nobody bats an eyelid about it.
    Would it be any worse than that suffered by black players occasionally?

Once the initial curiosity is worn out, interest would die down very quickly I think

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    Would it be any worse than that suffered by black players occasionally?

Once the initial curiosity is worn out, interest would die down very quickly I think

Fan reaction probably isn't the main concern for a player thinking of coming out, it's most likely teammates. We have a huge foreign contingent in the game now, many of them from less secular nations than our own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast