+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VAR - World Cup

VAR - World Cup

Reviews will be shown on a big screen, to fans at the World Cup but only after the decision has been made.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43820565

A first step in the right direction IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    Reviews will be shown on a big screen, to fans at the World Cup but only after the decision has been made.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43820565

A first step in the right direction IMHO.
    Apparently with an explanation of the decision . . . TBH I’m lost for words.

It will be interesting to see the reactions!

I must say, I've thought for a long time that referees should have a greater obligation to explain their decisions to the public who pay their wages, at least after the game. Especially the cocky, preening types of referee who make a string of shocking calls and then strut off the pitch in front of their effective employers as if to say "It doesn't matter what you think, I am supreme!"

Developing that point, I've always wondered what would happen if footballers or managers legally challenged FIFA and the FA's right to impose fines for alleged misdemeanours such as questioning the authorities. Leaving aside the obvious ironic joke of FIFA or the FA acting as the moral guardians of anything, let alone honesty and fair play(!), how the hell are they allowed to impinge on anyone's right to free speech?

Presumably in this closed club you have to sign an agreement to say you accept the disciplinary rules of the governing body, but if push came to shove in a legal sense I think that could be successfully challenged, similar to the way the Bosman Ruling overrode the established rules many years ago.

So we're still going to have the waiting around for a decision to be made, not knowing what's going on, which is one of the worst aspects of this system. By the time it's on the screen, will the game have re-started or will the delay be made even longer whilst they show it?

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    So we're still going to have the waiting around for a decision to be made, not knowing what's going on, which is one of the worst aspects of this system. By the time it's on the screen, will the game have re-started or will the delay be made even longer whilst they show it?
    Currently, if you're in the stadium, you won't find out what went on until you get home so it is an improvement, however small.

Like someone said , with VAR we could come back from our half time cuppa to find Notts 1 nil down. On the flip side though , we could find out during the break that our full back and striker have announced their engagement.
    Last edited by navypie; 20-04-2018 at 06:44 AM.

They need to introduce some rules for this system. The first one being that VAR cannot award a penalty or rule a goal out after the HT or FT whistle. Imagine leaving a game thinking you'd won with a last minute goal only for VAR to disallow it after the players have left the field!
    They also need to be clear that contact in the area doesn't mean it's a foul, otherwise we're going to be swamped with penalties.

They need to introduce some rules for this system. The first one being that VAR cannot award a penalty or rule a goal out after the HT or FT whistle. Imagine leaving a game thinking you'd won with a last minute goal only for VAR to disallow it after the players have left the field!
    They also need to be clear that contact in the area doesn't mean it's a foul, otherwise we're going to be swamped with penalties.
    1. I don't think that could happen at all, decisions have to be made during play, not after the whistle.

2. Referees interpretations of pretty much anything, are a core problem. Contact, does not and should not, always, constitute a foul. It's time that the offside rule was sorted, I'd like to see the rule where a players feet can be on side but his upper body is off, scrapped, it's nonsense.

I'd also like to see any player in the six yard box, deemed active for the purpose of offside. The moment a player enters the keepers conciousness, he's arguably 'active'? I fail to understsnd, as an ex player like many of us here, how a player in the six yard box, can be 'not active'.

I'd like to see more retrospective punishments for cheating come out of it too, some players are totally shameless, Sterling and Ali just to name a couple. Regardless of whether or not your team gets a win out of an occasional cheat, fans are generally sick of it.

Imagine leaving a game thinking you have just lost to a last minute goal only to find out later you have in fact drawn the game, and that point , had gained you promotion! What a can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    1. I don't think that could happen at all, decisions have to be made during play, not after the whistle.
    Did you miss this thread?

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38218326

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast