+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TBH Burnley not at the races last 3 games

Yes alf I'm a right cnut, and I talk a lot of Bollox BT

So here I am.

I'm with Blueheeler, Army and I think Norder as well as a few who show their face on here now and again.

I put it on the match thread last night (and have been saying so for months), regardless of us playing Billion £ teams I don't care if we get thumped 6-0 every game, as long as we put in a decent performance, last night was just that, Chelsea did not make us look bad, we did that ourselves, it was dire and we have thrown in many this season, yes we have gained many points and gone 11 games without a win yet still maintained 7th place, 2, 3 or even 4 bad games in a season is not bad, but we have had many more than that, and some of those games Brady and D4 were playing in, so I will not swallow the injuries excuse.

Yes I'm proud of our standing, but also perplexed

So many of our fans still do not understand the way that the team is set up.
    We lost 2-1 last night and if we had gone for it gung ho we would have lost by much more because Chelsea have pace in abundance on the break.
    We have a manager who knows his team inside out and without doubt knows exactly what he is doing and he has got us to 7th place in the table which we have maintained for 28 weeks, having dropped down three times to 8th or 9th place.
    I don't think that we were bad last night --I just thought that Chelsea did a Burnley on us and were the better team.

I understand what you are saying Sub, it still does not address long balls that just don't work, just hacking it away when we have time to pick a player and to reiterate individual performances last night was not good which impact on the team, I counted 3 times in last nights game when building from the back Tarky played the long ball into no mans land.

I still think....with a little more effort - we could have easily made a draw - as said...for all their passing skills and possession, it was a couple of nothing goals that gave them the win, from mistakes if you like....How much of a threat in the final third were they - look at Morata on the break (55mins) with only Pope to beat and he puts it wide....but that lifted our game a little and we had Chelsea on the back foot - 9 mins later and we get a goal....and acted like we'd just won the league btw (Fail) just when we needed all hands to the pump, total focus - but no, we were all over the place and 5 mins later we concede a second - and for the remaining 20 mins...did Chelsea get us on the break - get another goal....No, and neither did we, because we just sat back and let them at us, but they had no amazing shots on goal, no super saves needed from Pope - we just wasted it, and we were protecting what - we're 7th in the PL, and are still 7th... not scratching for points at the bottom ffs.

Bootless !

Last edited by Norder; 20-04-2018 at 11:16 PM.

We were duff from start to finish.Conte got his tactics spot on.

Agree 100%CiB. We were outthought and outfought which is unusual for us.

Bloody hell though, Chelsea do have an impressive squad.

I would love to know if SD's "Tough Love" would work on an ensemble of £150k a week superstars?

I thought Chelsea were excellent, Conte got it spot on, and we simply weren't good enough. If a team with players of superior technical ability get their tactics right, as Chelsea did, then we're in trouble. Sometimes just sheer grit, determination and organisation is enough, last night it wasn't. The only surprise to me is that it has been enough on so many other occasions this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    So many of our fans still do not understand the way that the team is set up.
    We lost 2-1 last night and if we had gone for it gung ho we would have lost by much more because Chelsea have pace in abundance on the break.
    We have a manager who knows his team inside out and without doubt knows exactly what he is doing and he has got us to 7th place in the table which we have maintained for 28 weeks, having dropped down three times to 8th or 9th place.
    I don't think that we were bad last night --I just thought that Chelsea did a Burnley on us and were the better team.
    We do tend to go off the subject from time to time.

The Chelsea game was not the subject of my Post; it was just part of the conversation.

We have thrown in some horrible displays over a number of games.

I agree with SD we are on a journey but that should not mean the journey is boring.

I have taken our extremely brilliant points accumulation as a given.

There is no point in shoving the points in my face because, like you, we are drinking from the same Well.

But boring football with no real intent to change save off Barnes on Vokes is a tad tedious.

I look for to a journey that might take risky turns; that might involve trying something new but we just don't move past the now predicable path.

And that's my point.

If you are paying professional footballers wages they presumably have a number of strong skill sets.

For example (when playing) if Hendrick is not the right person to play right behind the lone Striker why not change things around? Play someone else in that position. How long does it take to recognize this isn't working?

If the accumulation of points is all that matters and everything else is meaningless then just go to the center circle at kick-off time a flick a coin to pick the winner.

And charge fans money to watch this happen --live.

Lets not voice any opinion about the play and just go along and eat a meat pie and have a chat to your friends.

You have your opinion which is fine and I accept that you do not like what you are watching, therefore, the easy answer is to stay away --why pay to watch something that you do not enjoy? You wouldn't go to the cinema to see a film that had no interest to you so why do it at football.
    My point is that we have progressed through the last few years and we ar still progressing, however, we have had to contend with injuries to key people and this places limitations on what you can do as a team.
    Football is not just about all out attacking as far as I am concerned. I have watched the Clarets for 66 seasons and have seen us play some scintillating football in the late 1950s and during the 1960s and the start of the 1970s, however, I can also put the boot on the other foot and talk about the period from the late 70s through to the early 90s which did very little to raise the pulse rate.

In order to make further progress in the world of the mega rich you have to maintain your position to be able to compete with them. This is where I feel that we are at as a football club at the moment.
    Forget our initial venture into the PL under OC which eventually turned into a non-event. Since then we have developed from a low to mid-table Championship side which was leaking goals at an alarming rate under Eddie Howe to a side that is going to start its third consecutive season in the PL next season an still has quite a way to go in its development.
    We have achieved this with a manager who originally identified our defensive frailties and worked to put things right, something which was badly needed. The success of the team over the last few seasons has been built on that defence and earlier this season, with Brady and Defour in the team, we were starting to develop a slightly more adventurous style of play. Unfortunately, their injuries along with that of Wood meant that, with the players available, we had to revert to a method where we had to try to get results by adopting a cautious approach.

All in all, we have achieved a lot with limited resources when compared to many teams, in spite of having to cope with quite a number of quite long-term injuries. I have found this a very fascinating season and have enjoyed watching players doing the job they have been asked to do in order to achieve the results we have.

Perhaps having been involved in the game at many different levels and in different countries, I am able to accept that we are still adapting and will continue to do so, however, it is a slow job and because, these days it is very much an 'add water' and it happens sort of society fans become disgruntled. As I said previously, they do not need to pay to go and watch something which they do not enjoy---- I certainly wouldn't and I travel 300 miles for every home game.

Great post Supersub. I agree with all of that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)