+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TBH Burnley not at the races last 3 games

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Every time I hear fans say they'd like more attacking football, more goals, more entertainment, it reminds me of my Blackburn Rovers supporting neighbour. When Allardyce was manager he came home every other Saturday moaning about the dross he was watching, he wasn't interested in the mid-table PL security that Sam guaranteed, he wanted entertaining football and Sam wasn't providing it. On the day he got his wish and Sam was out, he was a very happy supporter, all smiles and clenched fist. Now he supports a Division One team. Be careful what you wish for I say.
    A final comment on my OP if I may.

I am not advocating all-out attacking football at any costs--so let's put that one to bed.

I am commenting on us not having more than two shots at the opposition goal all game at home. And this is not the first time.

I am commenting that again, at home, we we magnificent for 14 mins against Leicester then totally lost control of the game and looked very poor.

We have done this for a number of games this season.

Most will agree with me that holding on around our goal and defending stoically is wonderful--but not for 70+ mins.

I also asked the question--if we can't play sustained attacking football at this end of the season, when can we?

I fully understand that we are obsessed with defence.

It has proved to be correct in the points gathered and our sustained Prem survival and that is absolutely brilliant.

But the game of football is also about entertainment and dour defensive football isn't that.

So, can we break away from this philosophy if only for the few remaining games?

It's a philosophy Blueheeler that has got us to 7th in the PL, hanging onto Arsenal's shirt-tails with the season almost over. I sincerely hope Dyche has no intention of changing it.

Sometimes I just shake my head, smell the coffee and go back to sleep.

We are still sitting in SEVENTH place in the EPL!

With a nett spend of £40 million.

For the countless detractors, please tell me what else you want?

Just to add another observation on the Stoke game, just my opinion, others may disagree. I don't think Stoke are a 'poor' team, I'm not really sure why they're in the bottom three, they've lost their way a bit, Hughes got past his sell by date, but I've seen many worse teams in the bottom three.

They were desperate for points, they were on their own ground, we'd just had a mare in the first half, yet without our two most creative players in Defour and Brady, without arguably our best defender in Ben Mee, we calmly played them off the park in the second half. The Stoke fans were looking more and more miserable as the game went on and they realised they were being outplayed, there was only one likely winner and it wasn't Stoke.

Despite the moaning this is not a bad Burnley team.

Dyche actually gave them a full Ginger Rollocking and told them to stop hitting long and go short.

That's another Burnley are just "Long Ball, Second Ball Merchants" theory down the drain.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)