+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: o/t This new 100 ball cricket comp thingy

o/t This new 100 ball cricket comp thingy

Just heard Aggers on the radio say he's been discussing this format with fans at his theatre shows who are staunch cricket purists and that the general consensus is that they really do not want it.

He says he has made the feelings of his audiences clear to the ECB but they have said they really don't care because it is not 'their' target audience for this competition.

I follow cricket loosely, can't say I'm a purist but do enjoy the odd day out at TB. Am I wrong in thinking the 5 day County Championship could be under threat here? All about money of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Just heard Aggers on the radio say he's been discussing this format with fans at his theatre shows who are staunch cricket purists and that the general consensus is that they really do not want it.

He says he has made the feelings of his audiences clear to the ECB but they have said they really don't care because it is not 'their' target audience for this competition.

I follow cricket loosely, can't say I'm a purist but do enjoy the odd day out at TB. Am I wrong in thinking the 5 day County Championship could be under threat here? All about money of course.
    The four day county championship matches have already been shunted to largely be played at the start and the end of summer (if you consider 13th April and the 27th Sept to be summer). It's not good for the red-ball game at all in this country.

However, money talks and to have cricket on terrestrial tv at prime-time was always going to take a degree of manoeuvring and the new format will mean a match will fit perfectly into a tv slot and attract new fans to the game.

It's reported that grass roots cricket is dyeing so something need be done to spice the game up across the board... My mate is the secretary of a local cricket team and they are having problems recruiting youngsters to play the game. His club had four teams a couple of years ago they are now down to two and they struggle to get together a side for Saturday and Sunday matches...He also said that there are a number of teams across the county that have folded because they cannot get people/youngsters interested...Although I do enjoy the four day and test stuff, more focus needs to be at grass roots, but then again I guess you can say that about the football...

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    It's reported that grass roots cricket is dyeing.
    I know, gone are the old cricket whites. Those pyjama kits come in all colours these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I know, gone are the old cricket whites. Those pyjama kits come in all colours these days.

Whoops imbarrising

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Whoops imbarrising

Relax ! It may be a silly point to make,but that was your first slip.