+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should we stick only to football..?

Should we stick only to football..?

Our political meanderings have got on the goat of one of our favourite posters.

OC who does plenty on here with his contributions and fantastic Match Day Predictor is threatening to leave the site because he is sick and tired of the political threads.

Personally, I feel politics are imbibed into every aspect of our everyday lives.

The FA, FIFA, the EU and our own government are all entwined in every sport and particularly the beautiful global game that is football.

Let me know your own thoughts?

I propose we carry on discussing all things in an adult fashion, but perhaps lay off the personal attacks and snide comments when opinions are divided.

TEC has given me a written warning this morning because he says I am one of the worse culprits?

I retorted that this week even sinkov and myself are in perfect harmony on a couple of issues which has only transpired because of the constant debating of issues that are of enormous political significance.

I would leave it as it is.

It never gets nasty (unlike the other place) and OC has made many good contributions to these kind of discussions.

To me, it is like a lot of Burnley fans meeting in a pub and talking about anything that comes up. Nowt wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Our political meanderings have got on the goat of one of our favourite posters.

OC who does plenty on here with his contributions and fantastic Match Day Predictor is threatening to leave the site because he is sick and tired of the political threads.

Personally, I feel politics are imbibed into every aspect of our everyday lives.

The FA, FIFA, the EU and our own government are all entwined in every sport and particularly the beautiful global game that is football.

Let me know your own thoughts?

I propose we carry on discussing all things in an adult fashion, but perhaps lay off the personal attacks and snide comments when opinions are divided.

TEC has given me a written warning this morning because he says I am one of the worse culprits?

I retorted that this week even sinkov and myself are in perfect harmony on a couple of issues which has only transpired because of the constant debating of issues that are of enormous political significance.
    No one is forced to post on, or even read the political threads, so the solution for those that don't like them, or are bored by them, is obvious.

What is pertinent BT is that, although we have recently found some areas of political agreement they are quite rare, but for the most part we generally agree to disagree quite amicably. We did recently have one big 'falling out do' though, but that was on a football thread, nowt to do with politics. Should we ban football threads as well ?

Everyone has a view, everyone is different, but nobody is right, we accept another's different slant on things even if it goes against our own true feelings and at times it can get overheated between two differing posters.

I have had arguments with past true Morons on here who have now departed, out of our current crop I think I have had only 2 real near the knuckle intense "arguments" that has made my blood boil, one with Blueheeler on being PC correct and the other with Oldcolner with a gif of someone being shot by a firing squad, as I said above, nobody is right and nobody is wrong, its just a difference of opinion and naturally tempers can get out of control as we are only human.

But that is the beauty of this Forum, and I take great pride in folk who know they have the right to speak about what and how they feel about all subjects without threat of being ridiculed, edited or banned, plus the bonus of being adults and agreeing to disagree.

Everyone contribute in their own way on this site, from Colner who IMO pulls out all the stops with his many paper clip threads, transfer value site and more, believe me it takes time and effort to research all that stuff and I admire him for it, to alf talking about his P!ss bag, which he can do because he can laugh at himself and not take things too seriously.

My personal feelings is that OUR board is a Football Forum first and foremost as we all support Burnley Football Club, but our lives are not built around just Football, we have Poverty, Religion, Politics, Racism and all world affairs are topics that should be aired on this great site of OURS as it gives it a variety, and it helps me personally understand World Affairs more with some in depth posts from all our great contributors, and in the closed season what do we find to discuss ?

It worries me that you have taken this stance Colner, I, and I'm sure We all would not like to lose you for too many Political threads (which affect our lives directly or indirectly), there are a couple of certain threads that appear now and then that I don't like and would not open if I was not a Mod, but again I have pride in what we have all built here, we can not have boundaries that are no go areas and I'd agree there are a lot of Political threads around at the moment which is (or should be) the talking point of not just this Forum but our Country because of the idiotic way we are being treated and it should not go unspoken.

Some of us may view UTC and the 2/3 other Burnley Forums, but we mainly post here because its our home and we feel more comfortable here or we would be somewhere else.

Agreeing with points made above,does anyone not see how rich and flowing the board is ? I always think it's not the subject matter the trouble ,its the respect. If I had someone with strong views different to mine, I should in a nice way try to show the logic and reason why I see it as such.
    '' It is one human characteristic that whatever we do not know, in order to conceal our limitations or hide our imperfections, we either say that it is non-existent, or in a more intelligent style, we will say it is abstract. In this universe. of ours, whatever comes within the scope of our senses or within the periphery of our perception, we say, "It is," and whatever is beyond the arena of the senses or the jurisdiction of perception, we cannot say anything. Hence, our world functions within the limitations of our senses and perceptions. ( From the Microvita Home page, there you are another subject we could debate!! )

Pretty much sums it up Alto and very well put I may add.

OC I will try my not to ruffle your feathers but I am a political animal and I simply refuse to accept the right wing media party line.

If you are unhappy with the political threads stay off them.

I have had several private emails this morning to support your posts, everyone loves the Match Predictors you create and analyse. Don't let a bit of political bias upset your football?

By all means talk about whatever takes your fancy, but it would be nice if as much time and effort went into football threads. Recently the site has become much more of a political one, with continual and repeated attacks on the BBC, the Royal family, the government, the PM and I’ll admit I have tried to redress balance by having a go at Russia, Labour and Jeremy. I’m not a political activist and am even unsure who to vote for so it’s not my scene.
    I don’t think it helps for the moderator who I thought was to provide for balance, to play a leading role in some of these, maybe you should ask Football mad for their thoughts. I doubt new members will be attracted by the politics. Few seem to stay around for long.
    As I said I’m stopping contributing on those threads, partly for my own sanity, but also in the hope we spend most of the time talking about football and especially our club. I probably overpost and some may not merit discussion, but very few get more than a handful of responses, so I’m questioining why I bother.
    There is little news about the club on here these days and what does mainly comes from the papers or internet. Alto manfully runs match threads but few of us contribute. I wrote an article months ago on a past player that has yet to appear so have stopped doing these.

Maybe few of us are local to Burnley I’m not so it is a challenge especially as I’m not a Sky subscriber and get to one game a year.
    Can we do anything to build up our local contacts and members and football content?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Pretty much sums it up Alto and very well put I may add.

OC I will try my not to ruffle your feathers but I am a political animal and I simply refuse to accept the right wing media party line.

If you are unhappy with the political threads stay off them.

I have had several private emails this morning to support your posts, everyone loves the Match Predictors you create and analyse. Don't let a bit of political bias upset your football?
    Sorry This came in after I sent my missive. Thanks for the comments, I am not surprisingly perhaps right wing and don’t know their party line, though I am clearly more right wing than you.
    I enjoy banter and can take criticism and give as good as I get, as you will know, but I’m not an activist and am on here for my team. I will stick to that in future.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    By all means talk about whatever takes your fancy, but it would be nice if as much time and effort went into football threads. Recently the site has become much more of a political one, with continual and repeated attacks on the BBC, the Royal family, the government, the PM and I’ll admit I have tried to redress balance by having a go at Russia, Labour and Jeremy. I’m not a political activist and am even unsure who to vote for so it’s not my scene.
    I don’t think it helps for the moderator who I thought was to provide for balance, to play a leading role in some of these, maybe you should ask Football mad for their thoughts. I doubt new members will be attracted by the politics. Few seem to stay around for long.
    As I said I’m stopping contributing on those threads, partly for my own sanity, but also in the hope we spend most of the time talking about football and especially our club. I probably overpost and some may not merit discussion, but very few get more than a handful of responses, so I’m questioining why I bother.
    There is little news about the club on here these days and what does mainly comes from the papers or internet. Alto manfully runs match threads but few of us contribute. I wrote an article months ago on a past player that has yet to appear so have stopped doing these.

Maybe few of us are local to Burnley I’m not so it is a challenge especially as I’m not a Sky subscriber and get to one game a year.
    Can we do anything to build up our local contacts and members and football content?
    Do you know what I think the problem is OC, there's not much new to say on footy, especially BFC, as Sean seems to run a very tight ship and not much news worth discussing gets out. He's been here a long time, we've all had our say on his tactics, substitutions, MO etc, we've all had our say on the players, and there'll be no new ones to discuss for few months yet, we've all given our opinion on the Europa League, and now we're sort of drumming our fingers on the table top wondering what else to talk about.
    On the other hand the political scene changes on a daily basis, it changes so much and so rapidly that even me, to the right of Ghengis Khan on occasions and BT a fully paid member of the fascist hard left, find things to agree about. There is always something new to discuss and that's the attraction for me. Not saying it's a good thing that the political discussions seem to take precedence over the footy, just saying why I think it's happening.

Anyway mon ami, all this talk about you taking your bat home, don't you dare, I can't afford the bloody paper bill to find out what rubbish the gutter press are printing if you stop telling us. You'll stick around mate if you know what's good for you, else me, BT, and a couple of my scouse chums will be round to your house with our baseball bats. Be warned !!

If I may just give my views.I absolutely love the politics on here----it is pure comedy, particularly when people get so uptight about things over which they have no control. Keep up the good work folks and I shall keep reading and give you the odd reminder that it is all just a game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)