+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Players of the season?

Players of the season?

I know we all have the chance to vote privately but I thought it still might be worth discussing.
    For me the surprise package has been Harry Pickering. Once he was put into midfield I feel he has been a revelation. We also have a fairly reliable free kick taker.
    Early on, I was also a great admirer of Perry except he has undermined that a bit with some indiscipline.
    The 1st couple of months I was impressed by Raynes's leadership and warrior like qualities but later the errors started to increase.
    I also had big hopes for Tommy Lowery but there are times when he can fade from the game.
    So who else is there? For me, the only player to have made a significant contribution to the team has only played for half the season- Green. Is it fair to choose him as he hasn''t the other half to bugger things up like others have?
    However, he is my choice and Harry is clearly breakthrough player of the year.

Well I have gone for Nolan, Lowery as breakthrough player, close being Pickering and goal B Ainley it was such a tight angle

Eddie Nolan. Head and shoulders above everyone else. Mr Consistency.

Eddie Nolan...easily the most consistent performer over the season. Pickering for breakthrough and goal of the season is Kirk's equaliser against Vile if that's an option.

Nolan and Pickering. Ng's goal versus Stevenage.

Quote Originally Posted by Furberstreet View Post
    Nolan and Pickering. Ng's goal versus Stevenage.
    Me too in all 3 cases.

Eric Snookes.

Agree Nolan player of season followed by Ainley... Breakthrough Pickering. Goal Ainley or Ng

Quote Originally Posted by Red and White Crusader View Post
    Eric Snookes.
    Possibly he was in season 74-75. Nil goals... 34 appearances and then he was off to the beach (Southport). Red haired fellow, I seem to recall. The golden age of the re-election era. Some think things are bad nowadays. They were then, I can tell you. Mind you, the Alex did pretty well that year, finishing above the re-election zone, in 18th place.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick View Post
    Possibly he was in season 74-75. Nil goals... 34 appearances and then he was off to the beach (Southport). Red haired fellow, I seem to recall. The golden age of the re-election era. Some think things are bad nowadays. They were then, I can tell you. Mind you, the Alex did pretty well that year, finishing above the re-election zone, in 18th place.
    You don't need to tell me they were bad,Micky...I was watching The Alex back then and remember that campaign very well.
    Although the season finished poorly we actually started like a house on fire and enjoyed a mini golden period where we led the table for a week and made good progress in the League Cup-knocking out Wrexham and First Division Birmingham before going out after a replay to eventual winners Villa.
    It was all far too good to possibly last ofcourse and by Xmas we were out the FA Cup by Gateshead and very much a struggling side again.
    But what a great start we made to that season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast