+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Rafa stays

If Rafa stays

...how much money will he get?

Fatman promised him every penny the club generates so if Rafa does stay it'll be because he's happy with what has been promised in terms of finances. Ashley has been proven in court to be a liar where we're concerned so currently it's a moot point whether he delivers on this promise. I, for one, doubt it but would be very happy to be proved wrong.

Anyway, all that being said, I don't want this thread to turn into another pro Rafa or pro Ashley slanging match. What I would like to know is how much we'll have when the tv money comes through and is added to whatever we make in transfer fees.

You often see the figure of £100 mil bandied about for the tv deal-is this just a handy 'headline' number or is that about the ball park?

Then players-who will we be getting shot of and for how much?

Mitro? He'll be off and I reckon his recent form will see him go for about £18 mil? Chris Wood went to Burnley for about £15 mil and Mitro has Prem and international goals to his name so I don't think that figure is too outlandish in the current climate.

Mbemba-good defender but there's clearly an issue with him as far as Rafa is concerned so...dunno...£10 mil? Probably worth a fair bit more as a regular but he can't get a game.

Gayle...would be a good buy for a Chimpo club for around £10 mil?

Clark-wouldn't be totally surprised if he was off. Again, a good CB for an aspiring Chimpo club for about....erm...my laptop seems to be stuck on £10 mil. Maybe 8-10 mil?

Darlow/Elliot/Sels-wouldn't be surprised (or sad) to see at least one of them off. Reckon Darlow or Elliot could get us about £6 million and Sels about £2 or 3 mil?

Murphy/Merino...given their lack of game-time, I don't think it would be a massive shock if one of these two went? We spent about £12 million on Murphy but probably wouldn't get all of our money back. Merino was about £7 million, was he?

Saivet/Aarons/Armstrong/Toney...think we might see the back of all four of these. Maybe we could get 5 or 6 million in total?

So, with one eye closed and me tongue sticking out have we got, say £150 ish million to spend? Depends on a LOT of things, not least how much tv money there is and if it all comes in one payment for the season just gone. Anyone know?

Anyhoo, try not to take any of this too seriously i.e "you must be thick if you think we'll get that much for him"...or "15 mil for him, what planet are you on?" etc. It's just nice to be able to look forward rather than over our shoulder...and it's a nice diversion for a balmy afternoon when we might have the joy of watching our scruffy neighbours slide over the precipice...

its not really about how much money, its more about how much trust will he get.

I'm not sure the players he wanted last year were massively priced, which is why he felt cheated at the lack of backing.

we should have had kenedy, a keeper and Slimani (or A N other) in the summer, we would probably have been sitting where Burnley are now.

Rafa will be sensible and pragmatic, which is why, the club needs to back him this time, otherwise we risk standing still whilst all around us progress.

i also wouldn't expect that high a turnover. 4 or 5 out and the same in is better than wholesale changes.

I'd read somewhere that we could get up to £127m from tv and league position alone
    Add to that selling a couple of players and that figure of £150m isn't that far away
    IF Ashley kept to his word the place could take off
    Hopefully Rafa stays and investment is made on 3/4 first team players

Two new strikers, a number 10, a new, younger version of Diame and a new RB...as well as keeping Kennedy and Dubravka.

I think that each finishing position is now worth 1.9 million meaning that the difference between finishing 17th or 10th is over 13 million quid - every bit helps.

As we know, wages are always the big cost and so I think Zip is right to look at players leaving as the best source of income for the club. Incoming players have to have their wages paid, but ones that leave take that cost with them.

I see Klopp has just started Ings in today´s game (he scored) - in the shop window?
    Last edited by toptoon; 21-04-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Good post zip you have earned yourself a gold ⭐️

I would hope Ashley sticks to his word and gives Rafa over the £100 M he wants

I think we have been quite lucky this season injury wise
    When we have had our first 11 to choose from we have picked up points

We could do with 4 or 5 good quality players to come right in and challenge our first 11
    I don’t think that is an unreasonable demand

I don't think we'll see either Merino or Murphy go myself.

Think both buy into what Rafa is doing and Murphy in particular was never expected to be a big player this time round, supposed to be slowly bedded in to the team.

I think that we'll keep Gayle with Mitro going and we'll get one more first team striker.

Think you're right that Mbemeba will be gone. I think it is unlikely Clark will go but I could see it.

Basically i don't think their will be a lot of players going out. I think we'll be aiming to get players in first.

You cant count the tv money that Way. The club has a budget with tv money already so it depends on how much income we generate over the budget. It is only Mike Ashley and the acountants who knows anything abort the money.

I'm sure the budget changes on how much the club makes as long as the owner gets the lions share

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)