+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Match thread v Yeovil

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Wow...where to start on a 2nd half summary?

Notts found some space just outside Yeo's box, knocking it sideways, when their big left back flung himself in to cut our pass, and the ball took off like a rocket into the Yeo net for a 25 yard "strike"......one of the best OGs you will ever see....glorious chants from the Kop of "sign him up, sign him up, sign him up"

Notts upped the pace sensing blood, a quick throw in to Hewey who took off like a rabbit, cut into the box and slammed it home......pace, pace, pace...it wins every time

Yeovil had pretty much lobbed in the towel by the time Aless got a chance for a carbon-copy of Hewey's goal, cut into the box, jinked once to fool the defender and slotted it well.

Special mentions to Collin for speeding up the game, Jones overlapped well, midfield was ok-ish but quite a few passes went astray just when we were looking to push forward, Shola was superb with some class touches, Virtue again looks like a class player, Forte chased everything and this is a different player to the one that was called "lazy"....at one point he chased the full width of the pitch to track their back 4, and forced the ball into touch for a standing ovation.

Not our best performance but we put them to the sword after the glorious og.......2 points off 3rd.....anyone still believe?
    Virtue had a good game but to describe him as a " class player " is stretching it a bit. You been on the grog mate?

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Virtue had a good game but to describe him as a " class player " is stretching it a bit. You been on the grog mate?
    I would side with tarquin, in fact Virtue would have got my MOM award. Tremendous workrate, he covered every blade of grass on our right side providing excellent cover for Hunt, but still managing to get in some good forward positions at the other end. He made a modest start with us, but is improving game by game and has been a major factor in our recent upturn.

What was impressive today was how, in the second half, we got the bit between our teeth and put the game to bed. Earlier in the season we have gone two ahead and tried to sit on it, slow the game down and drop deep. Not today, we had that sense of urgency and pressed, moved the ball quickly and got men forward in search of more. A great second half performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I would side with tarquin, in fact Virtue would have got my MOM award. Tremendous workrate, he covered every blade of grass on our right side providing excellent cover for Hunt, but still managing to get in some good forward positions at the other end. He made a modest start with us, but is improving game by game and has been a major factor in our recent upturn.
    Well you would side with your mate wouldn't you !! Anyway ,Virtue as certainly improved and is a much better option than Hawkridge on the right. A " class player " he is not though.

Just in the door, what a day of results for Notts today, I did not expect Wycombe to get hammered today and even less of a chance that Exeter dropped points to Crawley... another huge positive is the huge shift in goal difference we have with Wycombe, it now stands at +7 and +13 over Exeter... going to be a nail biter to the very end

Great result today, although we the first two goals were a bit lucky (to say the least). Still, we deserved the three points. Two massive games coming up, but we're hitting form just at the right time. It's going to be close!

I can't help but feel that the stupid Fitzsimmons moment will cost us automatic.

What an excellent day it’s been. A 4-1 win was perfect to extend our winning run to three matches and keep up our fantastic home record. No doubt Kevin Nolan would not have been happy with us concededing a late goal.

The Yeovil own goal was probably one of the best I’ve ever seen. There are players in this team that have certainly stepped up in the past few weeks such as Forte and Virtue of note. Also it’s good to see a lot more urgency from Colin when taking a goal kick.

What went in our favour today was that Wycombe not only lost to Accrington but were comprehensively beaten 4-0. Also the fact that we won by 3 clear goals means that our goal difference is now far superior to Exeter’s +13 and is now +7 ahead of Wycombe. We might have reduced the gap to two points but we’ve also effectively got an extra point over those two teams should we finish on the same points as them.

We have come into form at just the right time and are really piling the pressure on Exeter and more so Wycombe. They are the ones who are under all the pressure as 3rd place is there’s to lose. We can play with freedom even more so now we are guaranteed a playoff place.

Let’s go to Grimsby next week, and do the same again and take it to the last day. Regardless of whether we can grab 3rd spot let’s turn out in numbers for the Luton game as this squad have done well to get us finishing in the top seven.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I can't help but feel that the stupid Fitzsimmons moment will cost us automatic.
    I'm trying not to think about that, but I fear it could be very relevant come the end of the season. Without his moment of madness we would have been two points clear of Exeter instead of one point behind, and realistically only need to better Wycombe over the last two games to earn automatic promotion.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ref. For the first seventy minutes or whatever I thought he was doing well, then he booked Stead for the goalkeeper booting the ball into Stead's back and I definitely saw the twerp was looking the other way, how many goals did Roy Carrol give away by kicking the ball into an opposing players back and the thing bouncing back into goal? (I know, three) no free-kicks then though. Then he missed a clear handball from a Yeovil defender which sent the Kop berserk.

My man of the match today was Virtue, he tackled effectively, chased down and won lost balls a few times and physically he's learning how to use his body to shield the ball. He gets involved in the game much more than Grant and he's developing the control skills of Ameobi. In my opinion he could soon figure in the first team of a Championship club or maybe even Premiership one. He's improving every game and it's a shame he's with us for only two more.
    Last edited by LaxtonLad; 21-04-2018 at 07:48 PM.

I thought we were average at best for the first 45 minutes but the goal in stoppage time changed the game completely and after that there was only ever one side winning that. Notable contributions from Forte (it feels like we have signed a new striker) and Virtue and their left back for a superb finish for our 2nd.

The next two games now become massive and I can really see 6 pts being enough to scrape 3rd (possibly on GD).

A win at Grimsby to take it to the last day for a chance of automatic promotion was probably beyond even the most optimistic of predictions before the season started and certainly after the opening day defeat at Coventry. I’m taking my lads to Grimsby for their first ever away match - I really hope we just go for it now a playoff position is tied up.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast