+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Match thread v Yeovil

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I'm trying not to think about that, but I fear it could be very relevant come the end of the season. Without his moment of madness we would have been two points clear of Exeter instead of one point behind, and realistically only need to better Wycombe over the last two games to earn automatic promotion.
    Wasn’t it against Crawley and not Exeter?

Yes it was against Crawley and we would be on level points with Exeter had he not done it, not 2 pts ahead of them

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    Yes it was against Crawley and we would be on level points with Exeter had he not done it, not 2 pts ahead of them
    In which case I am talking out of my arse! But if Crawley were in Exeter's position, I would have made a very good point.

OK, I'm talking out of my arse.

I'm trying not to think about that, but I fear it could be very relevant come the end of the season. Without his moment of madness we would have been two points clear of Exeter instead of one point behind, and realistically only need to better Wycombe over the last two games to earn automatic promotion.
    Trying to work the maths out here. Seeing as the game was against Crawley and it was 1-1 in the last minute when Fitz had his moment. Well that would have only earned us a point meaning we would be level with Exeter now. Unless you think we still had time to win the game , bearing in mind we were already down to 10 men ( Virtue had been sent off earlier in the game)

Woops , someone beat me to it.

Could still prove crucial.
    Last edited by navypie; 21-04-2018 at 08:11 PM.

In which case I am talking out of my arse! But if Crawley were in Exeter's position, I would have made a very good point.

OK, I'm talking out of my arse.
    Well that one point could still cost us automatic promotion in the end (how frustrating would that be?) so your point is still somewhat valid, whatever orifice it came from

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    Well that one point could still cost us automatic promotion in the end (how frustrating would that be?) so your point is still somewhat valid, whatever orifice it came from
    Indeed, it’s easy to look at that moment and think it may cost us. There are also the poor defeats away the bottom two that are fairly painful at this point. However, we scored no end of late goals earlier on in the season to pick up 1 or 3 points where it looked extremely unlikely so it’s possibly evened itself out.

The fact that our goal difference is so much better than Exeter's means that the "Fitzsimons Point" would have put us above them, so that is especially frustrating. But you're right MP it all evens out over 46 games, you get lucky wins, unlucky defeats, and after 46 games you finish exactly where you deserve to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Indeed, it’s easy to look at that moment and think it may cost us. There are also the poor defeats away the bottom two that are fairly painful at this point. However, we scored no end of late goals earlier on in the season to pick up 1 or 3 points where it looked extremely unlikely so it’s possibly evened itself out.
    Let's not forget the late penalty against Mansfield. If the ref had blown for time just before the handball, things would be looking pretty good now.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Trying to work the maths out here. Seeing as the game was against Crawley and it was 1-1 in the last minute when Fitz had his moment. Well that would have only earned us a point meaning we would be level with Exeter now. Unless you think we still had time to win the game , bearing in mind we were already down to 10 men ( Virtue had been sent off earlier in the game)

Woops , someone beat me to it.

Could still prove crucial.
    It’s all ifs and buts abouts where we would be had this or that not happened. It would be very harsh to put it down to one thing or blame one player.

What the things like Fitzs moment of madness, the late goals conceded such as Mansfield and the defeats at home to Crawley and Exeter all prove is that there are such fine margins in terms of winning and drawing or losing some football matches.

As others have said we deserve where we deserve to be and a season is 46 games. We’ve had an excellent season and we would all have taken a top seven finish at the start which we’ve got. We’ve got an excellent opportunity to challenge for 3rd spot with two games remaining. That’s excellent progress from the start of Jan 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    It’s all ifs and buts abouts where we would be had this or that not happened. It would be very harsh to put it down to one thing or blame one player.

What the things like Fitzs moment of madness, the late goals conceded such as Mansfield and the defeats at home to Crawley and Exeter all prove is that there are such fine margins in terms of winning and drawing or losing some football matches.

As others have said we deserve where we deserve to be and a season is 46 games. We’ve had an excellent season and we would all have taken a top seven finish at the start which we’ve got. We’ve got an excellent opportunity to challenge for 3rd spot with two games remaining. That’s excellent progress from the start of Jan 2017.

...I would add the losses against Barnet and Chesterfield, BUT I have loved the season as a whole.....wherever we finish now, and I still think the next two games are huge.....it is a huge thumbs-up to Nolo and AH....GREAT SEASON and the fans are coming back....well done

ps this does not mean they can double my iFollow Season Ticket....I will accept a small increase btw

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast