+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To do list

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    I get what you're saying, but shopping in Waitrose, you can pay three times what the bread and bog rolls cost in Aldi, and get little if no extra value. I think buying football players is pretty similar.

For me what we've really missed are those all important goals from midfield and the back. We also haven't had a credible alternative to Billy and Leon when they got stale and went out of form. Donaldson did his best but didn't look like a regular scorer.

I'd love for us to be able to have a player like Mitrovic, but he cost Newcastle £13m and £75k* a week, (so they say...). Unless we have an investor who is prepared to lose £30m over two seasons (like the oinkers gamble) and hope it works out, then we will be looking to unearth gems and inspire under-performers again.
    I would agree re. what you might get for your money, and the performance you get from it.

My aim was more about the value, or otherwise of statistics and Aya's remark about trawling the lower leagues (again) allied to the 'grateful, let's settle for our lot' mentality

My stats show, to a degree, that buying quality CAN, and often does, give better returns but, as we all know, it comes with no guarantees, cf Rhodes.

CW has worked miracles with some of his speculative buys, others have been less successful. The problem with that, as I have said before, is that those above think it a viable strategy to continue with.

Surely the tailing off we have seen is proof that it isn't a credible long term strategy IF (?) you want to climb the league ladder to the top level.

You might as well quote messi and Ronaldo as mitrovic and vydra cos they're all way out of our price bracket it's not a case of pushing the boat out we just can't afford those players right now. We could have spent 25m in essence on a proven strike force at this level (Rhodes and assombalonga) and come away with a worse goal return than the 30 Clarke and sharp have bagged,im beginning to sound like a broken record but spending loads of money doesn't guarantee success have people forgotten about Hammond and Sammon already

Missed your last post TT and I agree to a point but there are no guarantees and I'm not so sure chris would splash big money anyway he doesn't come across as that type,look what happened when we gave Colin some money that ended well didn't it,as for the stats they are what they are they haven't been dressed to suit a particular agenda it's what they use for all strikers and Leon comes out well with them
    Last edited by bulmer1889; 22-04-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    You might as well quote messi and Ronaldo as mitrovic and vydra cos they're all way out of our price bracket it's not a case of pushing the boat out we just can't afford those players right now. We could have spent 25m in essence on a proven strike force at this level (Rhodes and assombalonga) and come away with a worse goal return than the 30 Clarke and sharp have bagged,im beginning to sound like a broken record but spending loads of money doesn't guarantee success have people forgotten about Hammond and Sam on already
    But would Rhodes and Assombalonga have performed much better with CW as manager. I think they would.

but those 2 were bought by a far inferior manager to chris bulmer we have to get better quality in the squad this summer if we are to push for top 6 again next season

Quote Originally Posted by Blade for Life View Post
    But would Rhodes and Assombalonga have performed much better with CW as manager. I think they would.
    Again it's pure speculation with no guarantees they equally could have been worse !

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    but those 2 were bought by a far inferior manager to chris bulmer we have to get better quality in the squad this summer if we are to push for top 6 again next season
    I'm not totally disagreeing with everybody I think we need more quality in certain areas I'm just trying to point out it's not as easy as just saying he would get us 20 goals or he would get us in the play offs it's just speculating we could spend 20m and be no better off,luckily I believe chris to be a shrewd cookie and will get the best available with what he's given whether that's enough remains to be seen

Stop clapping idiots posting how well we've done when we've totally thrown away a golden opportunity to go straight up.
    Introduce brain tests for anyone wanting season or matchday tickets ensuring they don't just orgasm because a player wearing red and white is capable of putting one foot in front of the other.
    Accept we are toatally f u c k ed until MCCabe and Bog Roll sort it which won't happen until it's too late for next season.
    Be aware the w a n ker s in our boardroom accepted West Broms approach for Wilder and he said do one.
    Stop posting s h i t when we are s hit and be HONEST.

LST, quoting what our owners say is like juggling soot- of no substance, flighty and blown away in seconds

Remember, the 'real investment' was coming when we had a meaningful chance of PL return. Well we had that this season and , by no stretch of anyone's imagination did we see real investment.

At the moment we have a 'dispute' to blur the issue further. With the present owners I do not expect Mitrovic type money but, remember, my original response on this thread was to Aya's 'let's scour L1 for player's' comment.

What I'm saying is that we should look to at least let CW look in Tesco not Poundland.

Excellent post LST I totally agree,it appears the I want it and I want it now philosophy of today's generation has been totally embraced by today's football fan,not every club can do a wolves tho plenty of teams have done similar and failed,we don't have to look too far either for an example,the easier more sensible way is to improve over time like Fulham have done,they could and probably should have gone up last season but they're definately better prepared this yr even tho there's no guarantee they will make it still

There is absolutely no way on Gods green earth we will be better prepared next season. Our divided board will ensure we engage in a relegation battle when this season they could have orchestrated an automatic promotion or comfortable top 6 finish at worst.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast