+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting to feel like 14/15 again

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post

5 defenders and 2 holding mids at home..... that is pretty fu**ing bad
    As someone once said, there are lies, dmaned lies and then there are statistics.

The truth behind these particular statistics is that the 2 wing backs gave us a better attacking option by acting as wingers. We also had the 2 attacking midfielders with only Hudds as DM. That led to 16 shots which is a high tally for us of late. 7 of those were on target so, although we played a lot of "defenders", we actually played a more attacking game.

Yes, we lost but I actually enjoyed watching the football a lot more than I have lately. Defensive errors undid us. A similar setup against Cardif, cut out the errors and, Please, Pretty Please Derby, no more of this zonal marking and backing off the opposition. Press, harry. It's what Boro did to us and it worked well for them. They gave us absolutely no time on the ball so couldn't play well. We gave them acres of time and space and they exploited it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Pant View Post
    They gave us absolutely no time on the ball so couldn't play well. We gave them acres of time and space and they exploited it.
    But was that acres of time due to lack of tactical astuteness, lack of effort (as suggested in your previous post) or lack of energy left in the older legs? Genuine question. Rowett might be able to b****ck effort out players but can't turn back the hands of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    But was that acres of time due to lack of tactical astuteness, lack of effort (as suggested in your previous post) or lack of energy left in the older legs? Genuine question. Rowett might be able to b****ck effort out players but can't turn back the hands of time.
    Marking zonally as per instructions IMO Andy. Something I have posted about all season on other fora I use. No lack of effort against Boro.

Zonal Marking is OK but it does require players to have tactical know how....... and that's the problem!!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Zonal Marking is OK but it does require players to have tactical know how....... and that's the problem!!
    In midfield agreed BUT not in the last 25 to 30 yards in and around your penalty area. That is asking for trouble. Burton scored a goal, Murphy I think it was. Picked the ball up outside the right nad corner of the box ran in unchallenged, veered left, still no challenge and he hit a great shot just inside the left hand post. Besic the same for Boro except he came in from the left.......

Zonal marking has worked perfectly. Not a single zone has scored against us this season.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Pant View Post
    As someone once said, there are lies, dmaned lies and then there are statistics.

The truth behind these particular statistics is that the 2 wing backs gave us a better attacking option by acting as wingers. We also had the 2 attacking midfielders with only Hudds as DM. That led to 16 shots which is a high tally for us of late. 7 of those were on target so, although we played a lot of "defenders", we actually played a more attacking game.

Yes, we lost but I actually enjoyed watching the football a lot more than I have lately. Defensive errors undid us. A similar setup against Cardif, cut out the errors and, Please, Pretty Please Derby, no more of this zonal marking and backing off the opposition. Press, harry. It's what Boro did to us and it worked well for them. They gave us absolutely no time on the ball so couldn't play well. We gave them acres of time and space and they exploited it.
    With a squad littered with pensioners acres of time and space for the opposition is a given. We were second best throughout - 1 shot on target in the first half.
    I will concede we competed more than in the abject displays at Wolves and Burton but we seem to find it impossible to get the ball from defenders to the forwards without hoofing it.
    Rowettball provides neither the results or entertainment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)