+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Far too many platsics on here

Quote Originally Posted by wortleygirl View Post
    How do you become a plastic fan?

The answer is simple: if you support different teams, or support a team just on the base of glory and is not sure if you will be loyal to one club forever or not. You enjoy the win more than the emotions, history and the loyalty. So do you fall under this category?

Why is there a disdain towards fans from foreign countries who cannot go to the stadium? This especially applies to the local football fans in Britain. What else is the option for fans who are not local to the club?

Before you brand any fan “plastic” or “bandwagon” for being not local, you might want to remember few things. Fans who are not local cannot go to match every time but they do their best to contribute to the team. They buy merchandise, club jerseys, and other miscellaneous items which directly and indirectly helps club generate the revenue. Different sponsors are willing to invest huge amount of money on the club because of the popularity worldwide.

Having read the above I would say that it is doubtful that any of our members on here are "plastic fans"

We have the emotions, we know about and care about our history and we are loyal to one club. Some of us have supported this club from the 2nd Division to the 1st Division, through 1st Division Championships and 1st Division heartbreak, through FA Cup and League Cup heartbreak to FA Cup and League Cup joy, Fairs Cup, European Cup, Cup Winners Cup and back to the 2nd Division. We were there when the club came back up to become 1st Division Champions once more, through the start of the Premier League and more European joy and heartbreak. We were there when we went down to the Championship and then League 1. We were there when we came back up to The Championship and we are still here.

Non of this because we are Glory Hunters, hells bells if we were that we would support a Premiership club or Real Madrid or Barcelona. It is because we love Leeds United and we cannot and will not countenance anything else.
    no what they do is don a leeds rugby league shirt while they are doing well, then come back at a later date if the football team ever comes good.

the proper fans pay their money in to the club, every season , the plastics turn up if promotion is achieved, or a play off/ cup final ticket final is on offer , not that will happen anytime soon. their is a major difference..

10,000 of your sort of fan , would come out of nowhere if leeds were ever back in the premier league , no doubt whatsoever.
    Last edited by Marley past ghosts; 22-04-2018 at 09:56 PM.

i remember being in the Mestalla second leg champions league semi final (were you there Marley, or watching it at home on the telly like a good plastic?) things were not going well, and i remember berating a Young kid who was leaving at half-time, he said something like " Doesnt matter, well be back next year" said with all his youthful inexperience, it made me so mad, i replied with " you must be joking, we might not come back in our lifetimes!"
    Unless you have been around long enough to experience the lows, how can you really savour the high points?

if only Alan Smith had knocked the ball over the line in the dying momments of the first leg, it would have been all so diferent.

Quote Originally Posted by BenidormBlanco View Post
    i remember being in the Mestalla second leg champions league semi final (were you there Marley, or watching it at home on the telly like a good plastic?) things were not going well, and i remember berating a Young kid who was leaving at half-time, he said something like " Doesnt matter, well be back next year" said with all his youthful inexperience, it made me so mad, i replied with " you must be joking, we might not come back in our lifetimes!"
    Unless you have been around long enough to experience the lows, how can you really savour the high points?

if only Alan Smith had knocked the ball over the line in the dying momments of the first leg, it would have been all so diferent.
    I was there - does that make me a plastic plastic too

Quote Originally Posted by Marley past ghosts View Post
    no what they do is don a leeds rugby league shirt while they are doing well, then come back at a later date if the football team ever comes good.

the proper fans pay their money in to the club, every season , the plastics turn up if promotion is achieved, or a play off/ cup final ticket final is on offer , not that will happen anytime soon. their is a major difference..

10,000 of your sort of fan , would come out of nowhere if leeds were ever back in the premier league , no doubt whatsoever.
    You are wrong again Marley,

I do not have a Leeds Rugby Shirt, yes I support Leeds Rhinos and Leeds RL before them. I am from Leeds after all.

I have never left Leeds United. My dad took me to my first game in 1957, it was the last game John Charles played for us before his move to Juve. I was allowed to go on my own with friends from 1963 and was a regular at home matches up until 1973 /74 when we moved to Scotland. During the time I went for many years I was on the Scratching Shed and as we all did migrated to the Kop when it opened, After I moved to Scotland I couldn't get to matches unless I was home on holiday I used to phone the club after games to find out how they had done.

While it would be nice to be in the top flight again, they were not there when I started supporting them and over the years they have not been there all the time.

I go to matches when I can, illness to myself and mr wortley has prevented us from going, also financial considerations.
    I buy merchandise when I can usually in the form of a shirt,. If I could afford it I would go to very match but I can't and I can assure you that does NOT make me a plastic fan.

Quote Originally Posted by wortleygirl View Post
    You are wrong again Marley,

I do not have a Leeds Rugby Shirt, yes I support Leeds Rhinos and Leeds RL before them. I am from Leeds after all.

I have never left Leeds United. My dad took me to my first game in 1957, it was the last game John Charles played for us before his move to Juve. I was allowed to go on my own with friends from 1963 and was a regular at home matches up until 1973 /74 when we moved to Scotland. During the time I went for many years I was on the Scratching Shed and as we all did migrated to the Kop when it opened, After I moved to Scotland I couldn't get to matches unless I was home on holiday I used to phone the club after games to find out how they had done.

While it would be nice to be in the top flight again, they were not there when I started supporting them and over the years they have not been there all the time.

I go to matches when I can, illness to myself and mr wortley has prevented us from going, also financial considerations.
    I buy merchandise when I can usually in the form of a shirt,. If I could afford it I would go to very match but I can't and I can assure you that does NOT make me a plastic fan.
    As others have said, your posts may not be frequent, but are always welcome.

And as to the response to Marley, unnecessary, as I suspect all those who have posted here for any length of time know enough about you to know that you're a genuine fan, and like many from "further afield", not being able to attend every match at ER detracts not one iota from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley past ghosts View Post

For all those (and I suspect Marley isn't the only one) who question the genuine nature of those from outside the Leeds postcode area, perhaps the more apposite question is "When we were in the old 1st Division, as one of the biggest clubs in the country, why have we never come close to the levels of support that Scum, Sh1tty, and the mobs from Scouse land have achieved, given that Leeds is effectively a single-club city (or even reasonable levels of support for the likes of the Blades and Wendies who have had two clubs for decades?"

And another one......have you ever done any research on the away support and where they all hail from? I'll warrant that if you do, you'll find that of the thousands that go to every away match, at least 50% will be fans who never see the inside of ER, because it's too goddam far/expensive etc to make it, are THEY plastics too?

Get off your high horse about who does and doesn't attend ER, we're not all rich, retired (or both), physically capable of travelling large distances in short spaces of time, and some have responsibilities to others you can't guess at.

Criticise the club by all means, individual fans if they take you to task personally (I have done both and will continue to do so), but stop bad-mouthing just because others don't get to ER as much as you claim to.
    Last edited by WTF11; 23-04-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Thank you WTF, just what I was thinking, I can't afford to get to many games, does that make me a plastic fan, course it bloody doesn't! I work full time and have a young family to support, when all the bills come out it leaves us with a very small amount of money, not enough to fork out 50-100 quid for a match day which is what it costs me!

Why does anyone even care what the daft cnut thinks???

Quote Originally Posted by BenidormBlanco View Post

we are on about the here and now TODAY, every man and his dog were following leeds at that time, when they were in the champions league under o,leary . that was six**** years ago. when we were finishing in the top four of the premier league,

ninety five per cent who post on here , hardly ever go , whether its because they live thousands of miles away, cant afford it , or cant be arsed . the real fans have been going, when we have been ****e for the last four**** years, not just following them in the glory days, following them through thick and thin.

like i have said, many who dont or say they cant go now , would change their tune overnight if this club ever returned to the premier league, the attendances would prove it . the ground capacity would have to be increased to cope with the demand for tickets. i have met fans from all over the uk and abroad , and you can spot the genuine fan from the fairweather fan a mile away.

its very easy to support the team when they are doing well, its a different story when they are like they are now, a bag of ****e . an whole generation of kids have never even seen leeds in the top flight, or ever likely to under this current regime .

its ok to have an opinion about the club, but its the fans who put their money in to the coffers every season, that are the real bread and butter of this club. and always will be . maybe thats why the vast majority who post on here live in cuckooland, as to this clubs chances of promotion every season, because to see how bad they actually are , you have to see them with your own eyes . and not through the rose coloured spectacles many possess on here.every season
    Last edited by Marley past ghosts; 23-04-2018 at 02:34 PM.

So unless someone has a ST and attends all home and away games you are saying they are plastic?

hmmmn

what about Orgs who emigrated to North America but had the best collection of shirts I have seen and who avidly follows the clubs every move?

what about those who used to go but due to changed financial circumstances no longer do?

what about those with families far away who get to games with their kids when they can - bringing on the next generation?

what about those who buy lots of merchandise for themselves of their kids?
    Last edited by hopelesslyoptimistic; 23-04-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)