+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raiding Leeds again?

I don't think the value of the player has any relevance at all, other than to ensure our feeder club stays in business.

By July 2018 our feeder club will have received "Staying Alive" payments of almost £40 million from our loose change tin.

It is imperative we sustain LUFC in order to supply our first team with new player stock.

TM obviously need to factor this issue into their valuation of players who are moving westwards along the M62 corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Earwigo again Sinkov. We have done this to death and bored everyone. How do you value a player Sinkov?
    Scott Arfield TM value £2.7m was apparently valued at £8m in January when Moyes offered £2m and will go for £0 in June.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/16...rfield-for-fr/
    I thought we'd established OC, that the TM value is some sort of arbitrary figure on a website that has no relevance to any real vaue a player might go for in the real world. But you quote it again, so you must think it has some relevance, or of some interest, but it continues to elude me.

Let me put it this way, here are two statements,

a) Leeds paid £2.25m for Janssen, they would want £15-20m for him now, TM value him at £5.4m.

b) Leeds paid £2.25m for Janssen, they would want £15-20m for him now, if the Queen Mother was still alive she would be 118 years old in August.

Does a) tell us anything more relevant about Janssen than b) ?

I must admit that I am confused as well.

Sometimes (as above) the TM valuation has to be multiplied by an unknown number - in this case three.

Other times it over values the market value so you have to divide the TM valuation by an unknown number.

Certainly maths doesn't come into it!

Well, not unless you use the following formula..

X = TM x Y

Where X is the market valuation, TM is the TM valuation and Y is an unknown number between 0 and Z, where Z is another unknown number.
    Last edited by 1959_60; 24-04-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Lost me now 1959-60, I slept a lot in our school's algebra classes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I must admit that I am confused as well.

Sometimes (as above) the TM valuation has to be multiplied by an unknown number - in this case three.

Other times it over values the market value so you have to divide the TM valuation by an unknown number.

Certainly maths doesn't come into it!

Well, not unless you use the following formula..

X = TM x Y

Where X is the market valuation, TM is the TM valuation and Y is an unknown number between 0 and Z, where Z is another unknown number.
    All I know about Z, is that's the row in the stands defenders should aim for when clearing the ball in a dangerous situation, as opposed to fannying about as John Stones is wont to do.

I don't think the value of the player has any relevance at all ...
    So how do you claim on your insurance BT?

What’s the value of a diamond ring? Well when you buy it, it drops to 25% of what you paid once you leave the shop. If you lose it and your insurance covers the full purchase price you claim it but the insurers will deduct your excess or offer you an equivalent from their friendly jeweller. If you sell privately or take it to auction you may get 40 to 50% of what you paid. If you die the probate value will be 25%. If a thief steals it and sells it he will get 10%
    However if your jewellery is a one off with great name and in demand well who knows you could double your money.

Rangers players total value is £18.7m the highest being Doran’s at £1.8M so Scotty at £2.7m for no fee is a scoop for them and a write off for us. If he is crocked what is his insurance value ? Someone will put a number on that and pay premiums accordingly.

I don't think the value of the player has any relevance at all, ... 2
    BT You are right in that we pay what he is worth to us and the TM value has no benefit to the feeder club either unless they get what he is worth to them and hopefully at more than he cost them.
    In essence all a value does is try to say what the market is across the game.
    So just now on TM Rangers squad is worth three times Patrick Thistles and a sixth of ours and ours is worth a sixth of Man City who are worth 2/3 of Barcelona.
    In the overall context of the game those relative proportions seem right to me - do they to you?

If not we may need a degree in economics to debate value, worth, price and cost. Does this help?

http://humancond.org/analysis/econom...worth_vs_value
    Value is not a number, but often we can compare the values of two things, especially if they are similar in use. Intuitively we see value as being intrinsic and stable over time, but analysis shows it must be somewhat dependent on individual preferences and social context. This stability of value stands in contrast to the fluctuations of market prices, and even when the price is stable, it may seem out of line with our perception of the value.

In Lady Windermere’s fan Oscar Wilde had Lord Darlington quip that a cynic was 'a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I will memorise this and recite it the next time a customer gets snotty and tells me my proposal is way too expensive:

"Value is not a number, but often we can compare the values of two things, especially if they are similar in use. Intuitively we see value as being intrinsic and stable over time, but analysis shows it must be somewhat dependent on individual preferences and social context. This stability of value stands in contrast to the fluctuations of market prices, and even when the price is stable, it may seem out of line with our perception of the value."

Bulls-h-i-t will always baffle brains!

Wait till you do economics BT.

I've enough with the Social Science and Politics thanks OC!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)