So we’re now down to 8/1 to get automatic promotion, which I think are pretty generous odds given the games the 3 strongest contenders have left and the form they’re in.

Saw Wycombe at Lincoln on Tuesday and they looked very poor after Akinfenwa went off. It wasn’t much of a surprise to me that they were well beaten by Accy yesterday. Consensus is that he won’t be back any time soon but they are away at Chesterfield next week, relegated but capable of a decent performance as we found out. Then they have Stevenage at home. I think they may struggle to win both their remaining games, particularly if Akinfenwa is injured.

Exeter are in better form, but seem to be heavily reliant on Jayden Stockley. I think they have the toughest looking game left, away to Stevenage next week, a place not many of the top teams have won at, and I wouldn’t fancy us going there needing to win. Although by all accounts, Stevenage were bad at Cov on Friday night. Then they have Colchester at home last day. Again, I can see them easily dropping points.

As for us, we haven’t pulled up any trees away at the relegation strugglers, but we went to Barnet and Chesterfield bang out of form. If we maintain our (second half) performances of late, Grimsby shouldn’t pose too many problems, they’ve been a poor side ever since they played us in December. Then it’s Luton, undoubtedly the best attacking side in the division, but like the France rugby team, a lot will depend on which Luton turn up. They could be very dangerous, or they may well be on the beach. They’ll also have 4500 fans having a promotion party.

All very unpredictable, but I think if we win our last 2 games we’ll pinch third, there’s also half a chance it could be in our hands on the last day. Years and years since we won promotion on the last day of the season. so that would be great. Whatever happens elsewhere, 5 wins on the trot would be a great way to go into the play offs. Come on Notts.