+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Old boys?

Old boys?

No, nothing about Vadaine's performance suggested we give him another try.

I posted a long letter, which was mysteriously rejected. So another try, but a telegram this time.

Green, not at all special when I've seen him, esp. on Saturday. These desperate lunges will get him sent off before long.

So why not an attempt to sign Gary Roberts 2 from Wigan? He may not hate us as much as when he was with us on loan, and seems unlikely to turn out much in the Championship. Wages, though could be a stumbling block.

And what about Gary Roberts 1? Ludicrous, you'll say, and I know all the reasons why not, but it's said that Kevin Davies, at Southport, has turned the man's life round. A lot younger than Green, and he used to be tough and creative in midfield, qualities we are currently lacking.

A lower-hanging fruit could be Greg Leigh. Two years at Bury, latterly under the arrogant Lowe, might make him fancy a change. What's more, he could be affordable.

Green, like most of the team on Saturday, had a bad game. However, his 'bad' was still better than some others. I thought Wintle had a terrible time. However, what Green brings is vision. Look at old match videos and see how many times he successfully moves to intercept a pass. OK he sometimes dithers on the ball but maybe that is because sometimes the other players can be quite static and are not offering anything. He is a strong box-to-box player that very often pops up in the penalty area. I think it's no coincidence that our performances and results have improved since he got here.

Greg Leigh's career is one our no signing players should look at. He was offered terms which he turned down and went to Bradford for more money. Look where he is now and think where he could have been if he had stayed here and got some more coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Green, like most of the team on Saturday, had a bad game. However, his 'bad' was still better than some others. I thought Wintle had a terrible time. However, what Green brings is vision. Look at old match videos and see how many times he successfully moves to intercept a pass. OK he sometimes dithers on the ball but maybe that is because sometimes the other players can be quite static and are not offering anything. He is a strong box-to-box player that very often pops up in the penalty area. I think it's no coincidence that our performances and results have improved since he got here.
    I thought Wintle was far more influential than Green on Saturday, I think Green is one of those players that divides opinion. but could be a decent enough signing if as most believe Jones moves on, however I would prefer to see Walker playing in there.

Green was excellent in his first few months, and not bad thereafter. He seems to have given balance to the midfield and got the others playing, which may or may not be a coincidence. My only concern with him would be his age. He has lasted well with us, but hardly played for Oldham so has only really had half a season - would he last a full season at 35-36? Or, more relevant, the following season at age 36-37, as we will almost certainly have to offer a 2 year deal.

If DA thinks he will be good enough and fit enough (and not too expensive), then sign him. The only other thing I would add is that I don’t think we need him, Jones and Wintle, so in the unlikely event of Jones signing I wouldn’t worry too much if we can’t get Green.