+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just received a call from Washington DC

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    My phones all block all foreign calls - so NO, I haven’t heard anything - but be VERY careful - I expect they will want your bank details to transfer the proceeds of the deal into!
    On the other hand, they may wish to sell you the next really great investment opportunity which is so good, instead of just making a killing themselves, they spend time and money telling complete strangers of the good news.

That’s why I block all foreign calls - I don’t wish to waste my time having to say carefully chosen Anglo-Saxon words to them.
    If they are legit, they will leave a message - but they never do.
    Wife got 2 letters last week one to each address our last one and where we lived before that (son now has it) post marked Malaga opened it she's won 915k on a lottery which isn't bad considering she's never entered one,anyway got to go I'm writing my letter of resignation for work !

Once I had an email from Attorney Samuel Ngongo in Basutoland who told me he had £5,000,000 he needed help in getting into the UK. He would give me half if I helped him but needed £1000 for administration. Sent him the money and guess what, never heard anything else. Think it was a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    Once I had an email from Attorney Samuel Ngongo in Basutoland who told me he had £5,000,000 he needed help in getting into the UK. He would give me half if I helped him but needed £1000 for administration. Sent him the money and guess what, never heard anything else. Think it was a scam.
    I get one of those every other day - and always addressed to "My Dear"

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    THIS Silent ^^^

Question is how they’ve got your phone number mate and know you had shares and do you need to look into that.
    I may be wrong, but I believe that lists of shareholders are available on all companies from Companies House. That is one of the big advantages of holding shares in Nominee Accounts. However, I do still have shares in a few companies held in certificated form, which is why (see above) my phones block all numbers I don’t recognise. I get several every week - and life is too short to waste one’s time answering them.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    Wife got 2 letters last week one to each address our last one and where we lived before that (son now has it) post marked Malaga opened it she's won 915k on a lottery which isn't bad considering she's never entered one,anyway got to go I'm writing my letter of resignation for work !
    Hey fella, you leave Malaga out of this, we are hurting about our demise under the Arab prince that own's the club (be careful what you wish for!!), anyway we are hurtin'bad over here - the Prince says so

I may be wrong, but I believe that lists of shareholders are available on all companies from Companies House. That is one of the big advantages of holding shares in Nominee Accounts. However, I do still have shares in a few companies held in certificated form, which is why (see above) my phones block all numbers I don’t recognise. I get several every week - and life is too short to waste one’s time answering them.
    There are one or two ways you can reduce calls Ronnie like registering under BT’s preferenctial services, but broadly speaking people who get lots of phone calls, mail or emails have been a bit too free with their online information. I see it all the time mate.

If my home phone rings it’s always friends or family or maybe the Docs or Dentist, we never get nuisance calls, same with my mobile. As for spam email, I’ve got 5 email accounts and it’s virtualy non-existent on my main accounts.

The key is not to give anybody personal details who you’re not legally obliged to do so like HMRC, your bank or insurance company, or for online shopping etc. For everything else, (like forums, information websites and questionnaires etc.) I use a ‘throw away’ email that I can bin if need be (as opposed to the one you’d give your bank), and never use my full name address and DOB. I always use a DOB that’s close for ethical reasons but never the exact one, and maybe just my initials instead of my full name. If I have to give a phone number, I just use an old pay as you go mobile. A lot of these online businesses don’t need to know everything about you and some of them are not secure enough to be trusted with them.

I’d advise anybody who’s getting a lot of Spam email to the same email they use for online banking etc to set up a brand new primary email and make it your default one for important services ONLY, and maybe another new one for things like forums. Then stop using the other emails and if possible delete them.

Nearly all unsolicited phone calls, dodgy emails and post these days can be traced back to information that the person has left online. Of course you can’t acount for a bent call-centre worker or somebody in I.T selling off your details, but in most cases it’s self inflicted.
    Last edited by GrayBlade; 24-04-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Cheers Gray. I’m happy to say (touch wood) that no one has manged to scam me out of my millions yet!

You are correct Ronnie. The info will have come from the shareholders list submitted with the Sheffield United Ltd Confirmation statement ( formerly Annual Return).

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C View Post
    You are correct Ronnie. The info will have come from the shareholders list submitted with the Sheffield United Ltd Confirmation statement ( formerly Annual Return).
    Would that list also show contact details then H?

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    Would that list also show contact details then H?
    Not phone numbers Gray. They aren't required at Companies House.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast