+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chesterfield & the Conference

Chesterfield & the Conference

Following Chesterfields relegation it set me thinking about what happened in previous years.
    It surprised me to recall some of the teams who had actually been relegated.

A good number of teams have bounced back while others took a long time. More unfortunate ones kept dropping.

It reminds me of the relegation of Grimsby Town in 2010 and it took them six years to get out of the Conference. It took Luton ages. Even Saturdays opponents spent a season in it.

Aldershot went down in 2013 and Tranmere a couple of years ago, although both of them may have opportunities to get back through the play offs.

Leyton Orient went downhill following the 2014 play off final and Hartlepool went last year, and both of them have really struggled this year.

The saddest case for me is the case of Torquay United who were relegated to the Conference South, a fate which befell York City and Stockport County (into Conference North) neither of whom are showing any signs of recovery.

Some teams are able to dust themselves down and get back up and Chesterfield have to draw comfort from this.

Division 4 was formed in 1958 and up until 1986 the bottom team had to seek re-election and in this period only 5 teams were able to gain enough votes to oust the incumbent team.

This is shown below :
    1960 Gateshead out Peterborough in
    1970 Bradford out Cambridge in
    1972 Barrow out Hereford in
    1977 Workington out Wimbledon in
    1978 Southport out Wigan in

In this period one team actually dropped out of the league. This occurred In 1962 when Accrington dropped out & were replaced by Oxford United.

From 1986 automatic promotion and relegation was introduced and this is how it panned out : (from 2003 two teams were relegated and 1 went up automatically & one went up via the play offs)

Some of the teams might surprise you.

Year In. / Out
    ——- —- ——-
    In 1987 Scarborough / Lincoln.
    in 1988. Lincoln. / Newport
    In 1989. Maidstone. / Darlington
    in 1990. Darlington. / Colchester
    in 1991. Barnet. / No-one
    in 1992. Colchester. / Maidstone Aldershot*
    In 1993. Wycombe. / Halifax
    in 1994. No one (Kidderminster failed criteria)
    in 1995 No one ( Macclesfield failed criteria)
    in 1996 No one ( Stevenage failed criteria)
    In 1997 Macclesfield. / Hereford
    In 1998. Halifax. / Doncaster
    in 1999 Cheltenham. / Scarborough
    in 2000 Kidderminster. / Chester
    in 2001. Rushden. / Barnet
    in 2002 Boston. / Halifax
    in 2003 Yeovil & Doncaster / Exeter & Shrews
    in 2004 Chester& Shrews / Carlisle & York
    in 2005 Barnet & Carlisle / Kidder & Cambridge
    2006 Accrington & Heref. / Oxford & Rushden
    2007 Dagenham Morecambe / BostonTorquay 2008 Aldershot Exeter. / Mansfield Wrexham
    2009 Burton Torquay. / Chester Luton
    2010 Stevenage Oxford. / Grimsby Darling
    2011 Crawley AFC Wim. / Lincoln Stock
    2012 Fleetwood York. /Hereford Macc
    2013 Mansfield Newport / Barnet Aldershot
    2014 Luton Cambridge / Bristol R. Torquay
    2015 Barnet Bristol R. / Cheltenham Tranmere
    2016 Cheltenham Grimsby / Daggers & York
    2017 Lincoln & Forest G. / Hartlepool & Leyton
    2018 Macclesfield. / Chesterfield
    I know Chesterfield aren’t formally down but in effect they are.

* note 1992 Aldershot didn’t complete the season
    * * in 2007 Boston were relegated two divisions.
    Last edited by Nardendee; 23-04-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Just had a quick look at the bottom of the league 2 table. A couple of 7-0 wins and an 8-0 win, coupled with Morecombe failing to get another point without scoring another goal in their final three matches, and they'll be staying up!
    I don't know what they're all moaning about, bloody pessimists.

Excellent reading once again Mr Dee.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Excellent reading once again Mr Dee.
    A bit presumptuous there Sota. How do you know it's not Mr Dendee?

Agree with Sota - a great read.

It reminds me how close Burnley came to dropping into the Conference in 1987. They were within one game (and the need for Lincoln to lose) of being relegated. Hard to imagine now as they fly high in the Premiership.

Luton Town must be one of the most widely promoted/relegated sides having played in all five divisions since the fifties (and been FA Cup finalists in that period.)

I'd forgotten how little change occurred before the relegation/promotion rules were changed in 1986.
    Last edited by CTMilller; 24-04-2018 at 02:02 AM.

Just to clarify - in 1970 I stated Bradford were relegated. This was Bradford Park Avenue, not City.
    Bradford PA are still playing, presently at level 6 (Conference North) along with Kidderminster, STOCKPORT, YORk CITY, BOSTON, DARLINGTON & SOUTHPORT.

WORKINGTON are in the league below (Northern Premier)

HEREFORD are also at the same level, albeit the Southern Premier, although they have just won that league (107 points with 2 games left) so next season will be in the Conference South.

Nardendee, thank you for takeing time to write these. Brilliant stuff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Nardendee, thank you for takeing time to write these. Brilliant stuff!!!
    I agree. Very interesting

At first glance I was surprised how recent 1986 looked, but then it is 32 years ago

Bloody Hell I'm getting old

Seems to be a group of league/non-league yo-yo teams developing - Aldershot, Chester, Macclesfield, Barnet, Torquay, Halifax, Hereford, York
    Chesterfield have a bigger fan base than those, but so do Wrexham, and they have found it difficult to bounce back

Sad about Chesterfield, NO ITS NOT have they got anybody worth having we could give them a few Quid to help them out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast