+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer talk1

Transfer talk1

Now the title has been accomplished, 'we are Premier League', many names are and will be linked with the club. I thought it might be good to start a thread to see the names and eventually see the reality.

This morning we are being linked with the Man City defender Eliaquim Mangala. His contract runs out at the end of this season but is reported to be on £85,000 a week.

The Birmingham Mail links us with the 19 year old 6ft 4in Inter Milan striker Andrea Pinamonti. He is down the pecking order at Inter but is an u19 International.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek is another name that the media are linking with the club.

A new keeper is being mentioned with Jose Sa from Porto one name in the frame.

Attacking midfielder Anderson Talisca is also getting plenty of mentions.

I don't know anything about the foreign lads mentioned but I am not keen on Mangala or Loftus Cheek. Mangala is an accident waiting to happen, he is extremely undisciplined at times and Loftus Cheek is not bad but just ordinary for me. No thanks.

Don't really see us as a place to put your ****age strikers. Championship would be better for that. No reason for us to take a young player on loan unless there's an option to buy.

Mangala, no thanks. I think we can get just about as good of players on far smaller salaries.

Is Loftus-Cheek an improvement on Saiss and N'Diaye? Maybe. But again, no reason for us to take him unless there's an option to buy.

Talisca, unproven and overpriced.

Of the names listed, the goalkeeper intrigues me most. I think Ruddy has been more than fine this season, but I think he can be improved upon and at the age of 31, he's not going to get any better. He is what he is. But Sa is a bit younger and has familiarity with Nuno.
    Last edited by MichiganWolf; 24-04-2018 at 05:42 PM.

I read somewhere that a goalkeepers peak years are between 30 & 35 due to the lack of intense training, sharp running, etc.

Whether there is any truth in this I don't know maybe abbo could shed some light with his fitness/training experience?

You are correct Newcy in the fact that goalkeepers do peak later in life. The wear and tear that is associated with outfield players can seriously limit their playing life. Many of our top keepers, Banks, Shilton, Seaman, et al, and our own John Burridge, were still playing at the top level well past their mid thirties, and there certainly have been keepers playing into their forties.

As long as they can keep their agility levels high, and remain injury free, they should be capable of having a longer playing career. As they age, they gain experience of the game which enables them to better read situations.

Thanks abbo.

We will need more cover but I'm sure Ruddy will do a job for a couple of years at least.

We are now being linked with a certain Bakary Sako. His contract runs out at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    We are now being linked with a certain Bakary Sako. His contract runs out at the end of the season.
    Hmmm. At least he had some tears when he knew he was going onto bigger and better things.

Looking at the situation, we are weak in the striker department. Bonatini unproven at Premier League level and Afobe, never hit the heights at Bournemouth, hence the loan.

I suppose we need cover in all departments..

Another name that has appeared as one on our radar is the 'Iranian Messi' Sardar Azmoun. The 23year old is currently playing with Rubin Kazan in the Russian League and the centre forward has scored 23 goals in 31 appearances for Iran. He scored goals against Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid last year in the Champions League.

The press are certainly busy at the moment. The latest name to surface is Judilson Mamadu Tuncara Gomes, known as Pele. Currently with Rio Ave in Portugal the former u21 International switched his allegiance from Portugal to Guinea Bissau. The 26 year old has played for Milan and Benfica. The 6ft midfielder is being strongly linked with Wolves in the Portugal press.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)