+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: they think its all over ....

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    I'd like Barnsley to stay up,only cos I had Bolton to drop pre season
    If there is anyway Burton can escape at the expence of Bolton or Birmingham that would be very nice ending to the season.

Yes I'd have liked Brum to drop after their treatment of Gary Rowett last season pity we couldn't help them on their way

Plus burton due to their size and budget will always be perennial strugglers in this division so is one less place to worry about (although try telling that to Sunderland)

yes they are championship players now chips but they wernt originally my point is we cannot carry on trying to pluck gems from the lower leagues and still challenge for a top 6 finish wilder is a great manager in this field but he needs help from the boardroom if we want to continue to aspire to get to the premier league and he doesnt need vast amounts like carlos had at the sty to achieve it just give the bloke a fair crack of the whip all down to mcabe and princey now

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    yes they are championship players now chips but they wernt originally my point is we cannot carry on trying to pluck gems from the lower leagues and still challenge for a top 6 finish wilder is a great manager in this field but he needs help from the boardroom if we want to continue to aspire to get to the premier league and he doesnt need vast amounts like carlos had at the sty to achieve it just give the bloke a fair crack of the whip all down to mcabe and princey now
    Shoreham, it's not where they come from that's important. United have never bought the best and never will. We pluck good players from lower leagues and pay less that they are worth and most of the time this works- and that is the true secret of success for a team like us. Bit like Spurs with Naughton and Walker and Weeds with Jones and Sabella. Then there is Spurs and Dele Alli.

Only a handful of clubs pay top dollar and they are owned by billionaires (or fools).

You say we can't carry on finding such talent and I say we MUST carry on or we are doomed mate. Either we pay too much and suffer or we don't find the bargains and we suffer.....finding them is the only way for us.

but weve got a manager now chips who wont spend stupid money all im asking for is for him to be given a chance by backing him with sensible investment otherwise were stuck where we are for the foreseable future or maybe even worse weve a great opportunity here now great manager attendances on the up and a good set of players we just need to add to it by showing some ambition and that can only come from the boardroom

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    but weve got a manager now chips who wont spend stupid money all im asking for is for him to be given a chance by backing him with sensible investment otherwise were stuck where we are for the foreseable future or maybe even worse weve a great opportunity here now great manager attendances on the up and a good set of players we just need to add to it by showing some ambition and that can only come from the boardroom
    I think you are right or I hope you are but one little moan....Wilder seems to have wasted the money in January...only my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Chips1889 View Post
    I think you are right or I hope you are but one little moan....Wilder seems to have wasted the money in January...only my opinion
    Danny Wilson spoke about his recruitment at Barnsley when they got them promoted. He reckoned if you bring in eight, two will be good, three will be okay and three will be duffers. In Barnsleys case he got 5 good ones and no duffers that season, but bringing in players isn't a science, no matter how hard you try. ( I would still like to know why Holmes hasn't had more game time, tbf)

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    Danny Wilson spoke about his recruitment at Barnsley when they got them promoted. He reckoned if you bring in eight, two will be good, three will be okay and three will be duffers. In Barnsleys case he got 5 good ones and no duffers that season, but bringing in players isn't a science, no matter how hard you try. ( I would still like to know why Holmes hasn't had more game time, tbf)
    Wish we could find three "duffers"

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    Funny you should say that about the science FKB. I know it's a different game but England have just appointed a new head selector for the cricket.

Strauss wants him to concentrate on science and stats to provide more consistency when recruiting England players.

The stats show Gary Ballance as one of the best ever for England over his first 20 or so tests. make of that what you will.

The other intangible, in any team sport, must be how the player fits into the squad as a personality.Back to cricket for an example., do you tolerate an *rse like Pietersen for his ability?

Its that old Keegan and Toshack, Shearer and Sutton, Deane and Agana thing, where suddenly two players just have that instant understanding of what each other is going to do. You can't plan that stuff.

All this stats stuff is useful, it stops you misreading how players are performing, but its not the be all and end all. Then there are those who have so much to offer to the team, but you have to try and manage the downside. I'd rather have someone who can do the job, than someone who behaves acceptably.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast