Quote Originally Posted by redalwaysablade View Post
It was a superb win from that position, but how long will it take for the Top Five (minus Joe and Jonny) to start and put a decent score on the Board ? Gale just makes comments like forget the last innings and start again, something is fundamentally wrong behind the scenes in my humble opinion, which needs sorting pronto. I see Gale as more of a stumbling block than an advantage.

With regards to the Opening Game, given that major building work was being undertaken at Headingly, would it have been an impossibility for Yorkshire to have played at another venue ? Or would the powers that be think that would be unfair to others ??
The building work will be going on all season so that's something we have to live with.However the early start to the season to fit in meaningless competitions in blocks does beg the question as to what the ECB knows ar cares about 4 day cricket.

Amazingly Yorkshire's next 4 day game at Headingley isn't until the football seasons's well underway again, August 29th.If the ECB wants to blame the counties when the test teams lose they ave to let cricketers play proper cricket through the summer.

As for the coaching staff the jury is out for many and I have my doubts but we are constantly having to produce rabbits out of hats to play 1st XI cricket as so many are away for England constantly. Put Joe & Jonny into the team and no one would fancy bowling at us. Harry Brook will be the next one as he's alreadu England U19 captain and so bright on the radar. Ben Coad will be next as Broad & Anderson come to the end.

The coaching situation is a bit like when Ferguson left Manure and was replaced by Mpyes, not a bad manger but not stellar. Gale took over from Gillespie who also had a stellar record, from nowhere, with Yorkshire

Maybe Gale is too close to the current squad but, as a captain he had 2 championships a 2nd and 3rd place finish in his last 4 years.

It doesn't help when you choose one of the world's top 5 batsmen, Pujara, as your overses player aand he has a very poor start.Kane Williamson, another top 5 player is coming along soon so, hopwfully will hit the ground running.

To level the ground a bit I think the ECB should allow any county that has more than 1 centrally contracted players to recruit more than 1 overseas player, They don't , we suffer but, as we all know, England cricket is nowt without Yorkshire.