+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Promotion failure

Promotion failure

We have to be realistic and realise that promotion to the Prem is still going to be very difficult through the play offs. Whilst promotion is the ultimate ambition, for me staying in the Championship will not be the most disappointing aspect of us missing out (I’ve actually really enjoyed our time here). No, it would be the breaking up of what has become a very tight knit squad of players who, for the first time in years, seem to want to play for each other, the fans and the club. Staying in the Championship would surely see the break up of this squad leaving Bruce to build up from the bottom again. All rather depressing so come you Villa boys. Fight like lions!

Name:  31250471_1849071801819105_7135759369672589312_n.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  42.5 KB

I was thinking about this today and who would stay. I think most would stay and I think we should also keep Bruce.
    Play offs will be hard but will depend what villa turns up. The free flowing 4-0 one or the 3-1 loss one that looks a shambles.

Picasso - I have to say I like the championship. I like the ridiculous nature of the results where everyone can beat anyone. I like the fact that games are thick and fast. I like the fact we are competitive (this year at least) and there are some big teams in the 2nd tier. I wouldn't mind staying here for another season or two to build up a squad and indeed team that will grow together and be somethig special. But, it's the kudos of being in the premier league that I miss. Even being 17th means you are the 17th best team in the country!

Steve Bruce has done everythig expected of him. I expect Fulham to get the last place and by all fairness it should be a Villa v Cardiff final at Wembley. But, I can see Millwall going up as this is the crazy league afterall

It's been bloomin' great to see AVFC competing in a league for the first time in years, squads seem to change massively from season to season these days which is part of the reason why (I think) that clubs aren't dominant for years like Man U & Chelsea were not so long ago. Blues look like they will stay up, the Albion will be joining them which is good for derby day atmosphere - however the longer we are here the higher the risk of fading away as the financial situation changes.

If we go up I just hope we find a progressive manager that can blend the youth with experience and get us safely mid-table as a foundation for future success.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    It's been bloomin' great to see AVFC competing in a league for the first time in years, squads seem to change massively from season to season these days which is part of the reason why (I think) that clubs aren't dominant for years like Man U & Chelsea were not so long ago. Blues look like they will stay up, the Albion will be joining them which is good for derby day atmosphere - however the longer we are here the higher the risk of fading away as the financial situation changes.

If we go up I just hope we find a progressive manager that can blend the youth with experience and get us safely mid-table as a foundation for future success.
    I agree - I like Steve Bruce. I like his honesty and his passion for football and his ability to put a good quality championship side together. But that's the strange thing - he really is a championship manager - like Warnock, Megson, Clough, Coleman, Holloway, Monk, Adkins etc etc. I belive managers like Rowett and Dean Smith could have a go at stepping up but those I've just listed always seem to find their level at the championship and fighting relegated. That said, maybe if Monk or Clough got the chance to manage a mid-table team in the prem they might be able to step up

I guess all managers have to either take the leap or accept they've arrived at their destination if the Championship is the pinnacle for them. Eddie Howe has done ok, as has the guy at Watford, I'd like to see someone like Ranieri manage us - he did a brilliant job for Chelsea until the moneyman came in, think he would have continued to do so there.

Agree with all you guys, really enjoyed it in this league especially after all the years of sh*te we've had to endure!? Sadly, I can see us losing both final games but winning in the playoff final!?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)