+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth setup - flack flying

We won't be seeing any youth team players progress in the first team. KN seems to want to sign all of his old playing buddies. Barton for one. We have some cracking young players, but I think they would have a better chance at another club where both the manager and chairman are singing from the same hymn sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by mods100 View Post
    having now read twitter and this thread it is not about certain people or players being good enough, the question was asked to Mr.Hardy what is his opinion of the treatment of the 3rd year scholars this season due to him constantly tweeting about youth and the class of 2018 the bottom line is he has never responded to the question WHY ? I watch our youth team when work permits for the last few years and last years bunch were not bad at all in particular the captain of the u18 this years are also talented
    If the tweets are true that only after 3 weeks fitness training 5 boys were sent back to the u18 Mr Hardy as got to answer the question surely even to say this was not true
    The way the youth team is trained has nothing to do with Alan Hardy though, who is he to question training methods? Feel free to ask the question of a coach but we have no divine right to have it answered. Long term, you could question Alan Hardy for not improving the coaching standard or academy set up if we're not producing any young talent but he's been here for just over a year...

correct it has nothing to do with Hardy , but come on if the lads are going to progress into the 1st team they need to be training with them on a regular basis that will help them to develop into better players, but if it is right they only trained for 3 weeks and 2 45 mins pre season games they had to go back to train with the U18 that is not fair on the boys ? what was the point in offering them a year's extension to there contract

[QUOTE=mods100;388 but come on if the lads are going to progress into the 1st team they need to be training with them on a regular basis that will help them to develop into better players,[/QUOTE]

That's why Alan Hardy is in the process of buying land to build our first training ground so that all teams train at the same place.

yes exciting times for Notts but you have to feel this years lads have been treated poorly from the start
    even this years squad photo as not got them in it so maybe the tweets have got some substance , not looking to rock the boat with anyone, but I find it appalling if true

How many successes has the youth set up produced in recent seasons?

I can only think of the lad that went to Liverpool. Pretty poor return.

Notts do not have a development plan for these boys. The players offered one year extensions last year have had virtually no game time or interaction with the first team squad. Instead of taking the responsibility for developing them further, (they have all shown potential at some point) they farm them out to lower league teams as they have neither the structure the coaches or the desire to spend money to develop them further. The academy like most is not funded by Notts, they can put additional money in, but do they?. The scholars wages are paid by EFL. The players are then sent out to lower league teams on loan in the hope they will return ready to play Div 2 football. This will rarely succeed. These boys need to be in the club working with the first team daily, learning from them and playing in development games every week. Unfortunately the development games of which there were few last season were taken over by fringe first team players. Simply Notts do not INVEST in their youth. I hope this will change with Alan Hardy but the last 10 years at Notts Academy under every regime has proved fruitless.

Words fail me. Isn’t it a massive waste of time and money for clubs of Notts size to have academies? Doesn’t anyone who’s any good get picked off by bigger clubs for peanuts?

Isn’t the future getting players who’ve been let go by Prem/ Championship sides? Seems to have worked for Accrington,

Quote Originally Posted by LesBradd4England View Post
    Notts do not have a development plan for these boys. The players offered one year extensions last year have had virtually no game time or interaction with the first team squad. Instead of taking the responsibility for developing them further, (they have all shown potential at some point) they farm them out to lower league teams as they have neither the structure the coaches or the desire to spend money to develop them further. The academy like most is not funded by Notts, they can put additional money in, but do they?. The scholars wages are paid by EFL. The players are then sent out to lower league teams on loan in the hope they will return ready to play Div 2 football. This will rarely succeed. These boys need to be in the club working with the first team daily, learning from them and playing in development games every week. Unfortunately the development games of which there were few last season were taken over by fringe first team players. Simply Notts do not INVEST in their youth. I hope this will change with Alan Hardy but the last 10 years at Notts Academy under every regime has proved fruitless.
    This appears to be a different story to the one that AH is trying to portray. Seems to think Alex Howes on loan is a good thing for development and yet AH says he would have not let Jack Bearne go to Liverpool.

I'm simply trying to get to grips with the reality here rather than spin. Your post seems to lean towards we are being fed spin.

I know AH is keen on youth - U10's U12's Young girl's football etc as he seems to spend his weekend involved with them, but where are the Hateley's, Astle's etc going to come from? Are we doing anything positive? Maybe it's all in the pipeline, or maybe it's all merely an ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Words fail me. Isn’t it a massive waste of time and money for clubs of Notts size to have academies? Doesn’t anyone who’s any good get picked off by bigger clubs for peanuts?

Isn’t the future getting players who’ve been let go by Prem/ Championship sides? Seems to have worked for Accrington,
    I agree with this. It just doesn't seem to be worth the time, money and effort. If we're lucky enough to find a truly talented youth player, they'll be gone long before they kick a ball for Notts. When was the last time a quality youth player made an impact on the first team? Probably Kelvin Wilson, and that was almost 15 years ago. Since then we've just had a bunch of players that we would have never have signed otherwise, like Hollis and Thompson.

We're better off looking for quality players that haven't yet made it at bigger clubs, while also keeping an eye on upcoming non-league talent (although the latter rarely works out for us).

And sometimes you just need to push the boat out to get that player that makes all the difference - like Exeter did with Stockley.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 27-04-2018 at 05:57 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast