+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Youth setup - flack flying

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Words fail me. Isn’t it a massive waste of time and money for clubs of Notts size to have academies? Doesn’t anyone who’s any good get picked off by bigger clubs for peanuts?

Isn’t the future getting players who’ve been let go by Prem/ Championship sides? Seems to have worked for Accrington,
    I agree with the futility of it all as far as the lower leagues are concerned. Isn't it such a shame that those kids that aren't quite the next Beckham are denied even a chance to develop with clubs like us. The Premiership (or whatever they call themselves) has been a curse on the development of kids in the home nations.

My view is that Notts shouldn't even have a youth set up. The lower league clubs sold out to the big boys years ago meaning they can cherry pick the best ones for peanuts and only pay anything if they eventually play at the top level / for England. The vast majority won't.

totally agree smiffypie it's a shame if it's all true, why offer a contract then dump them after just 3 weeks, it must of been demoralising for the 5 lads and you can see why so many young talented boys stop playing football altogether
    I find it amazing that Alan Hardy as not answered the original twitter post of do you think you have failed these boys even tho you bang on about youth
    As to Hardy spending weekends with the junior sides it's because is daughter plays for the boys side

Hardy employs Nolan to make these decisions if after 3 weeks of watching them he thinks they are not good enough then that is his choice.

One thing that REALLY bugs me is we keep signing players like Hodge & Saunders etc EVERY summer and they never get any chances at all why are these players even signed this has been happening for a long time now.

As Joey Barton said to lads at QPR football is very brutal & cut throat you have to really believe in yourself to make it and some have the skills but maybe not the mindset.

It is sad to see people saying we should get rid of the youth set up but as the big boys can take who they like when they like you do have to have a think about where it is going in leagues one and two.

Football sold out to money years ago that's how it is now as we are seeing with Wembley possibly being sold to an American horrible thought.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Football sold out to money years ago that's how it is now as we are seeing with Wembley possibly being sold to an American horrible thought.
    Wembley ceased to be what it used to be for me when it was knocked down and rebuilt. Will never hold the magic the old stadium did. Really couldn't care less who owns it now, it's just another cash cow either way.

They should have found a way to keep the twin towers when they rebuilt it

Steven Gerrard has been brutally frank with the youngsters at Liverpool and made it clear talent isn't enough to succeed. You have to have the 100% desire and belief be do anything to win.

I have a true story about Alan Shearer. A guy who coached him at Newcastle as a lad told me that Shearer wasn't one of the best players in the youth set up at that age. Thats why Newcastle didn't snap him up as a scholar. What he did say was that Shearer was tremendously motivated and determined to win and would kick his Grandma if it meant him being in the team or winning. A few years later when he had literally just broken into the Southampton team he rang up his ex youth coach and said, I'm going to be Englands Centre Forward for the World Cup in the USA. Shearer full filled his promise, unfortunately England didn't.

Then you look at Ronaldo, naturally he's a lot skinnier and weaker than he his. The guy works harder than anyone still to this day to make himself such a good player. In my view the Worlds best. Alex Ferguson had to literally drag him of the training ground and out of the gym in his younger days due to his absolute mental desire to succeed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123