+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Somewhere in a foreign field....

Somewhere in a foreign field....

if some of you guys travel out to Myanmar(Burma) to watch your team when you get tired of that and boozing in the bars here is a suggestion. In Rangoon there is a Commonwealth and British war cemetery called Taukkyan.It is worth a visit. It contains nearly 27,000 graves and no doubt some are from Yorkshire. There is a similar one in Singapore, when I served in the Marines in the far east I made a point of visiting them, they are truly inspiring and moving. When I asked how the grass over the graves was so immaculate and different from the local type they said that was because the turf had all been shipped over from England.

So.......Somewhere in a foreign field there is a place that is forever England.

indeed ,

if i die think only this of me , that there is some corner of a foreign field that is forever england .

rupert brooke 1887 - 1915

Quote Originally Posted by Marley past ghosts View Post
    indeed ,

if i die think only this of me , that there is some corner of a foreign field that is forever england .

rupert brooke 1887 - 1915
    - what a fecking plum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    - what a fecking plum!
    its called knowledge , something you lack both about this football club , and the first world war.

its called knowledge , something you lack both about this football club , and the first world war.

Wasn't it the second world war?

Quote Originally Posted by leedsutdman View Post
    Wasn't it the second world war?
    he died in 1915 , i think the second world war started a bit later than that

Quote Originally Posted by claw84 View Post
    if some of you guys travel out to Myanmar(Burma) to watch your team when you get tired of that and boozing in the bars here is a suggestion. In Rangoon there is a Commonwealth and British war cemetery called Taukkyan.It is worth a visit. It contains nearly 27,000 graves and no doubt some are from Yorkshire. There is a similar one in Singapore, when I served in the Marines in the far east I made a point of visiting them, they are truly inspiring and moving. When I asked how the grass over the graves was so immaculate and different from the local type they said that was because the turf had all been shipped over from England.

So.......Somewhere in a foreign field there is a place that is forever England.
    True, was it ever so.

he died in 1915 , i think the second world war started a bit later than that
    I was talking about Burma. You know, what the post was relating to.

And your "KNOWLEDGE" was provided by Mr Google no doubt - far too late for a thiko like you to try to demonstrate your "Knowledge" of anything - least of all anything remotely intellectual.

Go insult a few more plastics that can't get to games or even this site due to geography or illness - much more your "style"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)