+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok 3, 5 or 7 games - thoughts?

Depends on the 4th placed team.

If it's Dunfermline, who are favourites, we seem to have the sign over them and I can see us getting to the semis.

If it's Caley I fear we are out - team in excellent form and know how to beat us.

Livingston in the semi is brutal tbh - they are ****e but have a good team spirit and work ethis which we lack. If it's a game of football we put them out easily but if it's a battle I reckon we bow out there.

I don't think we are good enough to beat any top flight team over 2 legs.

Likeliest are Partick, Hamilton, County or the Dees.

Dee's have already beat us this season at a canter.

Partick include guys like Osman, Sammon, Doolan, Lawless - all players who would stroll into our first XI - imagine Scobbie vs Sammon FFS.

County have Schalk, Draper, Davies - the thought of Schalk running at our defence gives me the heebie jeebies whilst Draper destroys any of our centre midfielders at a canter.

Hamilton have Templeton, Crawford and Mackinnon - same again - Templeton is a class above anyone we have and has carried them most of the season, Crawford is quality and MacKinnon will do a Draper on our midfield.

I'd most like to face Hamilton if I'm honest as their defence looks woeful, but then that depends on our ability to create and take chances which I have no faith in.

I don't think any of our players would be starting at any of the above clubs. Sad times.

It is likely that most of our squad have some idea about what they are doing once the season ends. A high percentage of them know that their United days are well and truly over, irrespective of what we achieve or don't achieve in the play offs. Most know there will not be any new or extended contracts offered no matter how well they play now. I reckon most are dreading the play offs outcome and can't wait to see the season out to be on their way?

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect a very different mentality from any of the other teams we may meet?

Quote Originally Posted by FTD1983 View Post
    Depends on the 4th placed team.

If it's Dunfermline, who are favourites, we seem to have the sign over them and I can see us getting to the semis.

If it's Caley I fear we are out - team in excellent form and know how to beat us.

Livingston in the semi is brutal tbh - they are ****e but have a good team spirit and work ethis which we lack. If it's a game of football we put them out easily but if it's a battle I reckon we bow out there.

I don't think we are good enough to beat any top flight team over 2 legs.

Likeliest are Partick, Hamilton, County or the Dees.

Dee's have already beat us this season at a canter.

Partick include guys like Osman, Sammon, Doolan, Lawless - all players who would stroll into our first XI - imagine Scobbie vs Sammon FFS.

County have Schalk, Draper, Davies - the thought of Schalk running at our defence gives me the heebie jeebies whilst Draper destroys any of our centre midfielders at a canter.

Hamilton have Templeton, Crawford and Mackinnon - same again - Templeton is a class above anyone we have and has carried them most of the season, Crawford is quality and MacKinnon will do a Draper on our midfield.

I'd most like to face Hamilton if I'm honest as their defence looks woeful, but then that depends on our ability to create and take chances which I have no faith in.

I don't think any of our players would be starting at any of the above clubs. Sad times.
    This. Sadly.

Capable of 7 but could well be 5 given how we have done against Livi this season.

Dunfermline should make it through and hopefully we could beat them.

If we got to final I’d like Partick - we beat them (just) last time we went up

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    Capable of 7 but could well be 5 given how we have done against Livi this season.

Dunfermline should make it through and hopefully we could beat them.

If we got to final I’d like Partick - we beat them (just) last time we went up
    Dunfermline have been due one over us for some time, but the reason they haven't so far is simply because they aren't good.
    The two defeats against Livi were some of our worst performances. The 3-0 at Tannadice was a stroll because we played decent.
    Against the Premier team however just see us getting a doing at their ground. But would love history to repeat itself against Partick. The two games we had against them were incredible, absolute bedlam.

If we have a couple of solid performances where we grind out a win or draw then gives us the best possible chance of getting up (thats a big IF tho) im confident of beating any of the teams at home so depends on away form imo. Momentum is a big thing in the playoffs as last season showed us. we didnt go into last seasons playoffs in great form and managed to negotiate ourselves to the final so i dont see why we cant do something similar this year but we really do need to stop the stupid results or we will have no chance!

I have a feeling if we can get to the final this year we would win it! i think the biggest problem for us will be getting to the final in the first place. Dunfermline/ ICT and livi will be tricky but if we can grind out performances and not just crumble then im confident of getting the results we need.

the final will be just as tough esp after the grueling schedule but after hopefully picking up the momentum from the previous rounds we can take that into the final. last year our squad depth wasnt good and ran out of steam! this year we have a bigger squad and more options so some of the fringe players could become crucial if we progress to final.

I personally would want revenge on Accies. County have improved in recent weeks Partick might have improved form also so wouldnt fancy them. Dundee i reckon are safe but if we wanted the best chance of us turning up then i reckon a derby final would be the best case!

prediction= Promoted!
    realistic prediction= fall in final!
    What will actually happen= lose in QF

Bump

Interesting to read the predictions back.

OK I'm going to stick my neck out and predict we will play 4 more. 2 days rest before the next game is brutal treatment but maybe we're building a siege mentality

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)