+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A posh raid

A posh raid

Rumours about we are not only looking at jack marriot but Marcus maddison too
    If we could land both of those players it would be a great start.

Marriott's record speaks for itself. He is quite small, though (5' 7"), which would mean him playing alongside Graham, I'd have thought. That would, in turn, mean we couldn't also play both our No. 10s (Dack and Armstrong) at the same time, as we have this season.
    I think I'm sidetracking to the "tactics" thread again here!
    I know Saxo won't agree with my opening paragraph, but I was a defensive midfield player myself and I think the caution is ingrained! Four players IN FRONT OF the midfield is too many for me - especially if one of the midfielders is a genuine attacking winger as well. Our "Smallwood" figure would die of exhaustion!

Can’t recall who / which manager said it but you sound like: ‘ when we kick off we’re immediately a point to the good ‘
    The inferred aim is to retain that point initially and look for ways / opportunities to obtain the extra 2 . Glass half full 😉
    Alternatively ‘glass full ‘ sees it as 1 is just not good enough and we need / want / deserve all 3 no matter what .

Can’t recall who / which manager said it but you sound like: ‘ when we kick off we’re immediately a point to the good ‘
    The inferred aim is to retain that point initially and look for ways / opportunities to obtain the extra 2 . Glass half full 😉
    Alternatively ‘glass full ‘ sees it as 1 is just not good enough and we need / want / deserve all 3 no matter what .

Both approaches have their merits, but only the eventual outcome lays bare the justification of either being seen as ‘a point well fought / gained’ or ‘fortune did favour the brave’.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    The inferred aim is to retain that point initially and look for ways / opportunities to obtain the extra 2 . Glass half full ��

Both approaches have their merits, but only the eventual outcome lays bare the justification of either being seen as ‘a point well fought / gained’ or ‘fortune did favour the brave’.
    Very few teams get away with the "Let's win 4-3" game-plan in the long run. Kevin Keegan nearly pulled it off at Newcastle, but fell at the last hurdle!
    The funny thing is, despite my natural caution, if I was a manager, I'd always have a winger in the team. They are often flakey, but you can make allowance for ONE highly-skilled player who contributes little to defence. Mowbray was using Chapman very effectively to cause chaos in the last half-hour, so perhaps that's a good compromise.
    To be fair, there are "wingers" and "wingers", anyway. Bennett and Conway are one type; Chapman, the other.
    Of course, the best player to have is a central midfielder who is skilful, passes accurately, runs all day and tackles.
    Not a lot of them about, unfortunately, and they don't come cheap!

Yep,

A fledgling Tugay you mentioned!
    That’s certainly reaching high!
    He was a one off, more chance of me winning lottery, esp as I don’t do it 😂

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)