+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul cook

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Congratulations to Wigan on winning the league..
    And in turn, congrats to burnleh for earning the right to play sporting club bobajob of Macedonia in Europe.

Solid defense and physical football gets better results in the English game in my opinion. You know I've been saying this for years.

The club and best of all Mowbray was very vocal about congratulating Wigan on winning the title. And wishing Shrewsbury well n the play offs having given us such a good race over the season.

Equally, it's in no way arrogant that Mowbray has put on record he doesn't consider winning promotion (title or finishing 2nd) whilst manager of Rovers, any kind of achievement. As it isn't. For a club the size of us, it's simply a step in the right direction. We should get promotion out of that league, and we did. Simple as that. Much more importantly it's about next season. You just can't sit still and pat yourself on the back here. You need to be planning & scouting for next season. And getting the highest crowd of the season in that league, and getting the highest attendance of home fans inside Ewood since the Prem days, was also a huge achievment for TM. That was all down to him that 26k.

And I severely doubt Cardiff & Warnock are losing any sleep over finishing 2nd in the Champ. All that counts unless it's the Prem, is promotion.
    Last edited by champs95; 09-05-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    Solid defense and physical football gets better results in the English game in my opinion. You know I've been saying this for years.
    But those qualities only get you so far - as Sam has often discovered. To go to the top, you also need highly-skilled players with the touch of class that keeps, for example, the top six PL teams in the top six.
    I'm all in favour of hard work and defensive solidity, but you can't argue that's ALL you need!

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    But those qualities only get you so far - as Sam has often discovered. To go to the top, you also need highly-skilled players with the touch of class that keeps, for example, the top six PL teams in the top six.
    I'm all in favour of hard work and defensive solidity, but you can't argue that's ALL you need!
    Not true aucks. I'd say pretty football has the shortest shelf life. Under kidd it relegated us, under souness(the best footballing manager we've had), it lasted a couple of seasons before we were perennial strugglers, under ince it was a disaster.. Whereby under Hughes and allardyce we were never in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    Not true aucks. I'd say pretty football has the shortest shelf life. Under kidd it relegated us, under souness(the best footballing manager we've had), it lasted a couple of seasons before we were perennial strugglers, under ince it was a disaster.. Whereby under Hughes and allardyce we were never in trouble.
    Well, I'm not disagreeing in terms of staying up. No-one better than Sam.
    I'm saying that you can't get right to the top without high-class players who create and score a lot of goals.
    Sam's reliance on the long ball means you need to score from quite a high percentage of the small number of chances you actually create. And 15 nil-nil draws aren't going to be winning you anything.
    My problem with Sam was not that he preferred the long-ball game; it was that he so rarely varied it, even when he had more creative players at his disposal. He utilises that particular "trick" better than anyone, but it doesn't stop him being a one-"trick"-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Well, I'm not disagreeing in terms of staying up. No-one better than Sam.
    I'm saying that you can't get right to the top without high-class players who create and score a lot of goals.
    Sam's reliance on the long ball means you need to score from quite a high percentage of the small number of chances you actually create. And 15 nil-nil draws aren't going to be winning you anything.
    My problem with Sam was not that he preferred the long-ball game; it was that he so rarely varied it, even when he had more creative players at his disposal. He utilises that particular "trick" better than anyone, but it doesn't stop him being a one-"trick"-pony.
    Rovers aim is to be what we were when Sam was fired. Comfortable midtable in the premier league. Anything more than that is a massive bonus nowadays.

Burnley-esk ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)