+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Match Thread vs. Grimsby Town (28.04.18)

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    All true, but at the end of the day, Wycombe had bottle. Exeter and Notts were ****ers.
    Wycombe have come close and bottled it in previous seasons, but they've cracked it this time, so perhaps again it's a case of learning from mistakes and growing as a club, and sticking with a good young manager for the long term. Not that I can believe many if any Notts fans would seriously not stick with Kevin Nolan, who has done a good job no matter how well or badly we do in the play-offs.

Also, regarding Durhampie's point, I think Nolan would like to employ a better style of football, but when he tried to rush it in mid-season, changing tactics to bring in Noor Husin, it cost us points and possibly automatic promotion. We may have a better idea of the type of team Nolan truly wants after a couple more transfer windows, but for now he's being pragmatic and employing the style he thinks suits the current players best, which is no different from what Neil Warnock did almost 30 years ago. Our results have certainly improved, even if we're not exactly the nicest team to watch.
    Last edited by jackal2; 28-04-2018 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Wycombe have come close and bottled it in previous seasons, but they've cracked it this time, so perhaps again it's a case of learning from mistakes and growing as a club, and sticking with a good young manager for the long term. Not that I can believe many if any Notts fans would seriously not stick with Kevin Nolan, who has done a good job no matter how well or badly we do in the play-offs.

Also, regarding Durhampie's point, I think Nolan would like to employ a better style of football, but when he tried to rush it in mid-season, changing tactics to bring in Noor Husin, it cost us points and possibly automatic promotion. We may have a better idea of the type of team Nolan truly wants after a couple more transfer windows, but for now he's being pragmatic and employing the style he thinks suits the current players best, which is no different from what Neil Warnock did almost 30 years ago. Our results have certainly improved, even if we're not exactly the nicest team to watch.
    Character and grit can only get you so far in any sport, we need to recruit well for next season, whether we go up or not and be tactically more astute and flexible. Unfortunately, KN, as well as he'd done with this sqaud, seems neither tactically astute or flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    Character and grit can only get you so far in any sport, we need to recruit well for next season, whether we go up or not and be tactically more astute and flexible. Unfortunately, KN, as well as he'd done with this sqaud, seems neither tactically astute or flexible.
    Totally agree with the first point.

I'll reserve judgement on the second. I actually think Nolan did try a dramatic shift in tactics mid-season when he signed Noor Husin and tried to get us playing football with a new formation, but the change was too sudden and it didn't work. To his credit, Nolan recognised this quickly and went back to his more basic 4-4-2 formula, whereas Keith Curle a few years ago stubbornly refused to recognise his system at home wasn't working and eventually lost his job.

I suspect Nolan does want to be tactically more flexible and to play a more attractive style, but as you say, this requires the right recruitment (ability and character) over several transfer windows. Even Pep Guardiola with all his resources needed time to create the Manchester City team we see today.
    Last edited by jackal2; 28-04-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Also, let's not forget, we were looking forward to a second-half of the season with Mason Bennett as an option up front, which may well have proved to be a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    Also, let's not forget, we were looking forward to a second-half of the season with Mason Bennett as an option up front, which may well have proved to be a step in the right direction.
    Letts face it take the loan players away then the notts team is total crap how they are in the play offs is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Letts face it take the loan players away then the notts team is total crap how they are in the play offs is beyond me.
    Can't help but agree, definitely over achieved, thank god that it's a pi ss poor division

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    As in take away Grant and Virtue? Those 2 are the worst players in the team! Grant is a no trick show pony and Virtue is very poor. Take those 2 out for O'Conner and Hawkridge.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314