+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing the Ref.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    Yes. It’s also time they were made to do what they are paid to do - or dispensed with.

From very early in the game, Preston knew they had a very weak (pathetic) referee, and exploited it to the full.
    I don’t blame them, they wanted to win - I do blame the referee who let them get away with it.
    Trouble with that Ronnie is there wouldn't be enough to go round.

Apply the rules consistently and the job becomes simpler but they all have to do it all the time.

Before next season the authorities should tell all clubs that eg shirt pulling or man handling a player in the area will be a penalty,no discussion, no argument.The players would soon get the message after the first 3 pens against them.

I'm not a big fan of rugby( union particularly) but they have a much better way of reffing and controlling a game.

Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post
    Trouble with that Ronnie is there wouldn't be enough to go round.

Apply the rules consistently and the job becomes simpler but they all have to do it all the time.

Before next season the authorities should tell all clubs that eg shirt pulling or man handling a player in the area will be a penalty,no discussion, no argument.The players would soon get the message after the first 3 pens against them.

I'm not a big fan of rugby( union particularly) but they have a much better way of reffing and controlling a game.
    Been saying that for a while Tony. We’ve have the tail wagging the dog situation here with rules. It’s a foul if some player manhandles another or grabs his shirt. The excuse the pundits give that it’s part of the game is a load of owd codge. It isn’t part of the game it’s a foul and refs should be told to start giving them. At present it’s a free for all in the box at corners etc.

The problem with the penalty area melee at a corner is that it is not an even playing field. Attacker fouls a defender - it’s a free kick that’s no more dangerous than a goal kick. Defender fouls an attacker - it’s a penalty and very likely a goal.
    Forwards foul every bit as often as defenders do. They are all at it. Very often the referee will see both sides fouling. What does he give?

Likewise, an attacker handles the ball into the net - it’s a yellow card. A defender handles the ball to stop it going in - it’s a penalty and a red card. Why the difference?
    As an (ex) defender, it all seems most unjust to me!

The problem with the penalty area melee at a corner is that it is not an even playing field. Attacker fouls a defender - it’s a free kick that’s no more dangerous than a goal kick. Defender fouls an attacker - it’s a penalty and very likely a goal.
    Forwards foul every bit as often as defenders do. They are all at it. Very often the referee will see both sides fouling. What does he give?

Likewise, an attacker handles the ball into the net - it’s a yellow card. A defender handles the ball to stop it going in - it’s a penalty and a red card. Why the difference?
    As an (ex) defender, it all seems most unjust to me!
    I bet tha were more Mr MORGS than Bobby Moore Ronaldo.Nowt wrong wi that tho,Mr Morgs is my favrit BLADES player this century.UTCB

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    I bet tha were more Mr MORGS than Bobby Moore Ronaldo.Nowt wrong wi that tho,Mr Morgs is my favrit BLADES player this century.UTCB
    Correct! Although I had one thing in common with the great Bobby Moore - lack of pace!

Correct! Although I had one thing in common with the great Bobby Moore - lack of pace!
    I am saying you were a clogger,with a thou shalt not pass attitude Ronald,but polite with it,`Sorry Ref,I got there as quick as I could,the blighter was too fast for me`

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    I am saying you were a clogger,with a thou shalt not pass attitude Ronald,but polite with it,`Sorry Ref,I got there as quick as I could,the blighter was too fast for me`
    100% accurate BD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12