+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: United 0 Preston 1 - report

United 0 Preston 1 - report

The Blades slim chances of the playoffs ended with flat and disappointing defeat at home to Preston North End. The visitors kept themselves in with a chance of making the top 6 after a narrow win earned when Alan Browne converted a rebound after Jamal Blackman had pushed out a long-range shot. Once again United had more of the ball, had more opportunities but looked pretty clueless when it mattered and limply went down to defeat in the end. It was another game with a bit more quality at both ends, the Blades would have easily won. The game ended with a lap of honour but manager Chris Wilder speaking rather publically about the boardroom situation and an emphatic statement that suggested if the two co owners did not sort matters out he will be off.

The game was played in unseasonably cold condition with rain and wind allied to a less than warm temperature. Both teams still had a chance of the playoffs albeit needing a lot of results to go either teams’ way. Wilder brought back Clarke, Sharp and also Kieron Freeman for a surprise return.

The game began in scrappy fashion with misplaced passes from both sides. It had the feeling of an end of season game with little to play for as Preston defended but United could not muster any real chances.

Robinson had a shot blocked by Evans for Preston before Clarke the got in but his effort was deflected behind. There has been little quality of note early on and Fisher was booked for a late tackle on Stevens and then Harrop clumsily upended Basham to also get a yellow card. Clarke had the best chance of the game when after a decent move; the ball came over from Stevens and Rudd and a defender blocked it out. Fleck then was booked after he gave it away and him and O’Connell dithered leading to the midfielder fetching his man down. Fleck and then Freeman had shots blocked as United ended the game on top. The half time whistle came though with few chances or moments of quality from either side.

The second half saw Clarke sprint away and have a shot saved fairly comfortably from Rudd. Robinson then had a cross shot narrowly evading Harrop. Preston then nearly got in again as Johnson probed with a good run. Evans had a poor few minutes as he got booked and then gave the ball away. From the resultant break; Harrop took a shot that Blackman weakly parried and Browne showed real desire to beat two United defenders to the punch and slide home.

United had a good spell of possession after the goal but too often the final ball came to nothing. Basham and Stevens sent crosses in that missed everyone and then Duffy took too long. A dangerous corner was headed clear before Brooks came on for Evans as United now had Fleck as the holding midfielder and Duffy and Brooks just behind Clarke and Sharp. Despite this attacking formation, the Blades could not create much and took too long to move the ball forward. Preston got men behind the ball and easily soaked things up. Indeed, but for an offside trap it would have been 2-0 as sub Clarke bundled home. Stevens was booked for a cynical foul as Preston broke not long after.

Baldock came on for Freeman and then soon after Leonard for Stearman but the home side lacked ideas and the crowd began to get frustrated as the final ball continued to disappoint. United’s best chance of the game came when after Baldock’s cross was punched clear; Duffy teed up Brooks hit a curling shot that was tipped over from Rudd. Sharp was then booked for pulling back Huntington as United began to get frustrated. The clock ticked down and Preston’s game management meant it was very stop start. Robinson broke and nearly added a second as Blackman tipped over. This chance was as good as anything United had created all game. Preston took and won several corners to waste a good portion of the 6 minutes additional time. A final free kick opportunity came and Blackman went forward but a foul was deemed to have been committed and that was it.

United – We actually were better than Preston but it was two poor teams. There were maybe a couple of chances each way. They scored one and had another saved. We had the Brooks effort and a few blocked but overall did not work the keeper anywhere near enough. We had so much of the ball but put in so many poor balls or took too long to move it on and create openings. The build up was agonisingly slow and then when it got to someone, the final ball often wretched. When the odd decent ball came in; we did not show the hunger to get in and they defended well. I felt like we could still be playing until August and not have scored. Key men such as Duffy and Fleck were off their game and I felt Sharp and Clarke did not look goal threats at all. The wing backs were wasteful when they got forward and of course we gave away another incredibly sloppy goal. The only player who came out with any credit was Basham – who was superb. A few others seemed to go through the motions today. Maybe they were just physically and mentally tired. It looked all a bit much for some of them to get on the ball and make things happen. It was all a bit safe. Did we really want to score a goal or make a chance? The evidence suggested not.

It was annoying as technically and in terms of play we had so much more of the ball and to be honest Preston looked a really poor side and one that should have been dispatched easily. However, we take forever to move it on and then when we do, ordinary teams like them get men behind the ball and we keep recycling it but go nowhere. We have no pace and real creativity up top and thus we almost have to make or take the perfect goal.

At the other end we make errors and teams capitalise as they are much more ruthless sadly. It is a shame today petered out but in truth that sums up the last few months where we have not been good enough. Are some of the players good enough for a team serious about the top 6 – probably not and Wilder knows that and today was a casing point.

I will put my views on the season in a few weeks when I do my review; but despite the feeling of what a good season; it all feels a bit flat tonight. If we had played well and won; then at least we would have finished on a good note but the last few games we have been really poor and looked a side on the beach.

Of course, Wilder has gone public on his frustration behind the scenes saying it needs sorting out. Sadly, I am sure I am not alone in thinking this is the sort of situation that could go on for years not months and I see no way that there will be a quick end to the situation. Neither will budge and it will end up in the courts and be something that runs and runs. I might be wrong but would be stunned if the situation is resolved by the start of next season. Wilder then has a choice. He carries on with a team and limited investment that would mean anything around mid-table next season would be a success and indeed a struggle could be on the cards; or he seeks an opportunity with a club that can match his ambition. I think he will stay. Not sure a sideways step; at least in divisional terms to someone like a Southampton or a West Brom is that an attractive a move. However, if we are in the same situation come Xmas; he will go to the first decent job that presents itself. We then could be in bother and I feel have much more chance of exiting the league back down the bottom end than the top end again which would be a massive disappointment after the work of the last 2 years.

Player ratings

reston – Poor really. They have had a great season and to be where they are is testament to the players and the management team but they played very little football today and it was very scrappy. We should have been good enough to beat them but we were not. They threw men in the line of the ball and defended with numbers but barely had an attack of note all game and it was a classic smash and grab job. They time wasted even at 0-0 and were quite cynical. How the keeper survived until stoppage time without getting booked I do not know… Pearson the lad in midfield’s antics were equally embarrassing too. A decent player but he feigned injury THREE times. They had a number that just fell on the floor for no reason. That is up the ref to penalise though and he let them get away with it time after time.

Football wise they played little and how they won that game is a bit ridiculous but they scored and we did not. They still have a chance of the playoffs but even if they sneaked in; be very surprised if they did anything in them. Lack quality throughout the side but will say they have finished in a decent position and have overachieved. Like us, not sure they will be as high next season as they will probably invest about as much as us – sod all. Credit to them for a good season though and shows with organisation and work ethic what you can do. They got the sort of win today that we have been unable to do a lot of the season; a hard-working performance where they do not really deserve it but do what they need to in both boxes. Shows for all the ball possession and pretty football; it is a bit pointless if you do nothing with it.

Opposition Man of the Match: Huntington and Davies won everything and Sharp and Clarke did very little. Take your pick between them. Johnson and Robinson were lively in spells.

Opposition Weak link: The right back Fisher was poor and got booked and moaned all game. The lad Pearson I like but I felt he did little today.

Blackman 5.5/10 – Had little to do really but at fault for the goal. Made one good top over from Robinson and a few catches but made a bad error on the goal. I felt he could have actually held it but at the least had to push it away from goal and he put it right into the path of the striker. Poor error really to end his Bramall Lane season.

Freeman 6/10 – Good to see him back. Looked rusty to start and kicked it out a few times or overplayed it. Got forward when he could but final ball was lacking. Had one shot blocked at the end of the first half. Improved as the game went on and had some decent runs down the right second half but no end product. Baldock is the better option there no matter how good Freeman was last season.

Stevens 6/10 – Sure he will get a lot of criticism but in general play he was better than Freeman and kept it better and got forward more but again his final ball was lacking although he put one good one in first half and one second half that missed everyone. He was poor on the goal but equally O’Connell did not react very well either when the rebound went off Blackman. He needs some competition.

Basham 8/10 – Man of the match by a country mile. Competed harder than any other Blade. Won all the loose stuff, used it well and played intelligently. Looked like he really cared and was so up for it. Shame no one else was. He was excellent today and carried the fight. As my Uncle said, it was like he was playing them on his own at times.

O’Connell 6.5/10 – Thought he was ok in general play but then he was slow to react on the goal when him and Stevens both looked favourite. He then let Robinson get away and it was nearly 2-0. The rest of his game was ok and he used it when he could but has to concentrate better.

Stearman 6.5/10 – He was ok and did try and at least carry it forward. Not sure he quite dominates like I would want him to or any central defender and is maybe guilty of being too nice. Preston did not really have a physical threat though so an easier game for him in this sense. We just concede too many goals at the moment so we may need to bring in a more domination player and one may have to come out.

Fleck 6/10 – Thought he tried to get on the ball and at times did some good things but equally was sloppy at times. First half he gave it away more than he has for some time and then picked up another daft booking – again this was his fault for giving the ball away. Second half did a few decent things but his final ball/shot was lacking and at times took too long (obsessed with always going left) to move it on. Had better games.

Evans 5.5/10 – Anonymous for the most part. I get called for criticising him but not sure what he offers really. He is neat and tidy on the ball but it is mostly sideways and backwards. Sure, he scored 2 great goals against Boro and an assist v Millwall but in the last two crucial games he has offered next to nothing. He is very slow and this hinders us both defensively and going forward as he lacks pace to get ahead of players or to get back and track. His corners were mostly poor too aside from one good one driven over 2nd half – the rest were floated and cleared easily. He gave it away three times today that led to them breaking; once he hacked someone down and then on another they scored. He was taken off not long after which summed up how much he was contributing. Not sure I see this great prospect that many do sadly. It is a game of opinions but he does not affect games positively enough for me.

Duffy 6/10 – Not really his day today – even though he saw a lot of the ball. Not a lot, if anything came off for him. Surprised he stayed on but Wilder felt maybe that he would give us that one moment. Overplayed it all day and was quite sloppy in possession. He kept trying and for that give him some credit and did not hide. He was always looking for the ball but when he got it cannot recall one decisive forward pass that came off. Did not really link with others or create much for the front two. Too often he took too long to make decisions. As with Evans; (yes, I know he scored at Brum) but offered up two quite lame performances the last two weeks.

Clarke 6/10 – Not his best game but he had little service at all. He did try and I saw him chase things down a lot and try and cause problems but when he had it; it did not always stick. He had one half chance that was deflected over and then had another which was blocked. He could have done more second half I felt though as despite little service – he should have put more of a shift in. He got frustrated that no decent balls came into the box. Ironically when a few good ones came in; he was flat footed. He ended up coming into midfield a lot as he was so frustrated with the lack of service. Ended up with some daft fouls near the end.

Sharp 6.5/10 – I felt he did try and held it up or got in front of his defender a few times and like Basham was one of few who seemed to bust a gut. At times his touch was not great though and missed a half chance when Freeman put him in – he also mis controlled second half with a half chance. He kept plugging away but gave away a number of fouls and got frustrated and was rightly booked. He showed like he really cared though today.

Subs:

Brooks – Tried to get on the ball but tried to be too clever at times. Needs to be more direct and run at defenders but it all got a bit crowded and became hard for him to find space. He has had a bit of a disappointing end to the season after getting back into the team – he now is back as sub again. I would have played him and Duffy from the start – we had nothing to lose but it is hard for him to always get into games from the bench.

Baldock – Came on for Freeman as he tired. Had a few decent runs but as with everyone else nothing decent in terms of the final ball.

Leonard – Played as centre back as we tried to be more attacking. He did ok actually when he came on and used it well and kept it moving. Not made the impact we hoped though.

Manager: Wilder 6/10 – I thought he would have freshened it up but opted to give a final chance for the final home game for the side that has played most of the season. It was odd but outside of Blackman, Stevens, Stearman and Evans it was 7/11 that won the League One title. No offence to them but you realise we have not pushed on in the windows if we have the bulk of the same side – that was too good for League One but lacked the pace/class to push us higher up this league. Today, the side looked flat again and lacked hunger and energy. The pressing and attacking we saw earlier in the season was not there and we looked a side ready for the summer. He made chances but these did not make much difference. He now faces a summer where the uncertainty means he will not have a clue if he can spend any money at all; let alone big money. One thing is for sure, he has got the maximum out of this squad. I do not see any higher than mid table for this side which is not a criticism; just reality. Indeed, without the start we had this season or the goals that Clarke and Sharp provided; it will be tough to be even mid table; in my opinion. Coutts coming back is the one sense of hope and also if Brooks can get playing consistently but not sure many of these players will improve next season. Baldock, O’Connell, Basham, Clarke, Duffy, Sharp, Fleck all played about as well as they can do or are going to do. Some may drop off next season.

Officials – Another crap ref. Getting to be the same every week. Did not penalise some ridiculous timewasting. Allowed them to do what they wanted 2nd half. Kept pointing to his watch but needed to book a few players. He then failed to see some obvious things like goal kicks that did not go out of the box or throw in’s as he seemed to totally mistrust his assistants. There was another odd moment where the ball was out for a goal kick I felt but he let the keeper pick it up and take from his hands – unless it hit Brooks who was offside and the red just waved play on. He seemed to let him put it down and then pick it up again. It was bizarre. Never really had proper control of the game from start to finish. Most of the bookings he gave were right but there should have been more.

Crowd – A really good crowd of 28,568 and Preston maybe only brought a 1,000 but it was very quiet in a flat game. Many actually did not stay at the end which was disappointing after a decent season but the poor performance and result maybe meant some just decided to go home. We are going to finish 11th – mid table so despite us doing well and maybe overachieving; it is not as if it was a big celebration at the end so I will not criticise those for going. Equally those that stayed; well done for giving them a round of applause for a group that for the most part always did their best. I will not be at Bristol next week but will be compiling my end of season review to come in a few weeks where I rate every aspect of the club and every player once again. Bet you cannot wait!

pathetic at the end by blades fans cant have been more than 7k left in ground when they came back out the team and management deserved so much more after the season weve had

Great report again DB. As always, it-s the first thing i read after a match, thanks for all your effort 10/10.

Can't wait for your end of season report ! I am sure you won-t hold back and it will be a great read if a little sombre.

Look forward to your match reports every week DB as I don't get to all the games any more.

Also enjoy your season reviews as well as I believe you get things pretty much spot on.

Something needs to be done about the time wasting thingy. As you say ref very lenient especially with the goalie. They stopped United getting into any kind of rhythm going down feigning injury etc. Completely hideous at times!!Fans don’t pay good money to watch this kind of thing. Preston were worse than Norwich at it if that’s possible!!

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    pathetic at the end by blades fans cant have been more than 7k left in ground when they came back out the team and management deserved so much more after the season weve had
    Why is it pathetic? I dint stay i had no intention of stayin,more than 28k turn up and still some feel the need to have a dig at fellow BLADES.Perhaps some like me have been disapointed wi the last few months of the season but still turned up at BDBL to watch games,or some were goin out for the evenin.I agree wi your report DB and Bash was as ya said MOTM by a country mile.By the way ya can add yesdi's goal to a rather long list of poor goals we've given away,Jamal shudda done alot better. UTCB

Personally rod I thought the amount that stayed behind to show their appreciation was disappointing I thought they deserved more but it's just my opinion. I'm with you DB on Evans he's not the answer more of the problem if you ask me (yet again opinions) only one grouse on the scoring O'Connell a tad high for me seeing as he got caught out a few times otherwise a comprehensive report as usual many thanks for the work you have done this season top reporting

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    Personally rod I thought the amount that stayed behind to show their appreciation was disappointing I thought they deserved more but it's just my opinion. I'm with you DB on Evans he's not the answer more of the problem if you ask me (yet again opinions) only one grouse on the scoring O'Connell a tad high for me seeing as he got caught out a few times otherwise a comprehensive report as usual many thanks for the work you have done this season top reporting
    It just meks me smile at times on here, fans that actually attend games at BDBL tend to get more stick than those that don't/won't go but as always each to their own.I stayed behind last season to see the league champions be presented wi the trophy,cos as ya know it dunt happen for us very often does it? I've never really been bothered by end of season laps of appreciation tho,as i said on another thread i show my appreciation by renewin my season ticket every season, but as ya know i'm a TRUE BLADE so i'm alluss gunna renew if possible aren't i?.UTCB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast