+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Awful

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    The most disappointing thing about today was I felt we had a free roll of the dice, nothing to lose. What did we do , we looked once again like we were set up hoping for a draw. I have been to several away games and apart from Morecambe we haven't played well at all. I went today full of hope but just feel really let down.
    Another great following aswell navy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Fair enough, but you didn't address his comment that it was a 'God awful performance'. Does it not fit your slow and steady improvement narrative?
    I wasn't there, but a mate of mine who was would concur that it was a very poor showing.

I'm not sure I've got a "slow and steady improvement" narrative. I just recognise that unless you've got a mega rich owner there's really no other way to improve. Like the Accringtons and Burtons, we can't buy success, even if we've got slightly more financial clout than both.

The route to success (however far that can go) for clubs with limited resources does seem to be to get a stable owner, a good manager and grow gradually. I'm sure Accrington and Burton fans will have seen a fair few shocking performances mixed in with the good ones over recent years, but the overall direction of travel has been upwards. After many years of turbulence and general decline, Notts County now appear to be trying to follow a new, more realistic blueprint.

I appreciate that most football fans have to cope with financial reality every day of their lives, and they look to football for escapism and to live the dream, so 'voices of reason' sometimes get a cool reception, but I don't think I've said anything above that is unfair or unrealistic.
    Last edited by jackal2; 28-04-2018 at 08:30 PM.

We were terrible again, reminded me of Chesterfield. Knew within five minutes we weren't up for it at all. Entire back four plus keeper were shambolic, made all the worse by having our best defender sat on the bench. Noble probably the only one who looked reasonable. We are not very good but could have fluked a win if not for a couple of bad misses and a good save. Should have been 5 down at half time. Fair play to Nolan as he did change it and we were better with ameobi and hunt off the pitch. Replace the keeper, Duffy and hunt asap. Ultimately we don't deserve promotion, we are very lucky to be in the play offs, another's season in league two with 4/5 additions to the squad and we'll be ready

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mac pie View Post
    Ugly performance today.
    To many were hiding
    Grimsby were mediocre today.
    On a par with yeovil and were every bit worthy of there league position
    If we play away in the playoffs and produce anything like that performance then we are staring at another season in this league for sure.
    Was hoping for at least a point on my birthday
    Looking at the wider spectrum
    What a season on the back of what could of been national league
    Have we got the squad to win promotion ?
    Yes
    So let’s try and enjoy the notts county ride
    Always bumpy
    Always a twist
    Always nail biting
    See you next week
    Did you even tell them it was your birthday, Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Awful day
    Awful town
    Awful ground
    Awful Ref
    Awful fans. Notts fans didn't cover themselves in glory either. What was that all about , several fans rounding on one bloke ( who I think had complained about them standing up ) , very brave.
    God awful performance , we got what we deserved.
    Absolutely spot on.

Don’t go to many away games anymore but Christ, that was a depressing experience.

That first half, given what was at stake, was one of the most shambolic efforts I’ve ever seen. We made Grimsby look like the Dutch Cryuff-led team from the 70s. The second half was marginally better, but only in the way that having your left arm cut off is better than having your right arm cut off. That lot won’t get promoted while they’ve got holes in their arses.

As for those clowns in the stand, what an embarrassment. They can f00k right off as well. To be fair though, that was about as lively as our support got today, a lot of people seemed more keen to slag off our own players than actually supporting the team.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I appreciate that most football fans have to cope with financial reality every day of their lives, and they look to football for escapism and to live the dream, so 'voices of reason' sometimes get a cool reception, but I don't think I've said anything above that is unfair or unrealistic.
    What you say is absolutely true of a team in the Championship. Our 7 years in Division 2 in the 70s was a good time to be a Notts fan, I was never dissatisfied. We just slowly developed into a better team over time. But you are over thinking it now. This division is a pile of crap. Accrington haven't slowly developed, they just realised how bad League 2 is, and that it's just as easy to win it as get relegated if you just give it a go. This is what we lack still, ambition.

What you say is absolutely true of a team in the Championship. Our 7 years in Division 2 in the 70s was a good time to be a Notts fan, I was never dissatisfied. We just slowly developed into a better team over time. But you are over thinking it now. This division is a pile of crap. Accrington haven't slowly developed, they just realised how bad League 2 is, and that it's just as easy to win it as get relegated if you just give it a go. This is what we lack still, ambition.
    But where is the lack of ambition?

Alan Hardy was aiming for the play-offs from the outset and has funded Nolan (within the means of the club, as opposed to Munto-style) to sign various new players, and to retain the existing players he wanted. Nolan's rhetoric has been more cautious, as managers tend to be, but he has certainly driven a marked improvement in results, if not always with the most attractive football (yet).

If you improve from 16th to 4th or 5th place in the space of a season, how can that not be a sign that the people within the club are seeking to move in the right direction, and achieving a fair degree of success? By your 70's measure, we are developing into a more successful team a quite a fast rate.
    Last edited by jackal2; 28-04-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Which is why I consider the second half of this season has been a failure. All the talk of accepting where we are now in comparison to last season is defeatist BS. We have failed from a position of strength.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Which is why I consider the second half of this season has been a failure. All the talk of accepting where we are now in comparison to last season is defeatist BS. We have failed from a position of strength.
    I couldn't agree more. I never know why accepting second best is supposed to be positive.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    So what course of action would both you and Bohinen advocate? Sack Kevin Nolan for taking us from the brink of relegation to the play-offs?

Or do you agree with me that (even if you regard the second half of the season as a failure) the only sensible action is to ask Nolan & Hardy to look at where things went (slightly) wrong and try to put those lessons into action next season.

We could still win the play-offs, by the way!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast