+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Notts went wrong

Where Notts went wrong

I was so looking forward to this but what a disappointment. In my opinion this club is nowhere near ready to step up a division. You can blame the ref all you like but if Notts had held on for a 1-1 draw it would have been an injustice for Grimsby.
    Is this the kind of rubbish that has been exciting some of you this season?
    Take something as basic as throws. Grimsby used them to make ground and Notts couldn't handle it. When it was Notts' throw in they buttoned us down and turned defence into their attack. And I lost count of the foul throws we got away with.
    Grimsby built from the back and big kicks from the keeper - a staple of Notts game - was something they rarely resorted to.
    Grimsby used full width on the pitch whereas Notts funnelled attacks on right or left but hardly ever switched quickly from one to the other.
    The most obvious difference between the sides was pace. We are full of old players who can't suddenly turn on a sixpence and startle the opposition with an unpredictable move.
    Last of all, the supporters. What an ugly crowd they turned into at the end of the game, turning on their own and ramping up the abuse on their own players at close quarters.
    Notts County are a long long way from being ready to move up the league and, if by some fluke they did, at least half a dozen new faces are needed. Players who aren't afraid to play the ball on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I was so looking forward to this but what a disappointment. In my opinion this club is nowhere near ready to step up a division. You can blame the ref all you like but if Notts had held on for a 1-1 draw it would have been an injustice for Grimsby.
    Take something as basic as throws. Grimsby used them to make ground and Notts couldn't handle it. When it was Notts' throw in they buttoned us down and turned defence into their attack. And I lost count of the foul throws we got away with.
    Grimsby built from the back and big kicks from the keeper - a staple of Notts game - was something they rarely resorted to.
    Grimsby used full width on the pitch whereas Notts funnelled attacks on right or left but hardly ever switched quickly from one to the other.
    The most obvious difference between the sides was pace. We are full of old players who can't suddenly turn on a sixpence and startle the opposition with an unpredictable move.
    Last of all, the supporters. What an ugly crowd they turned into at the end of the game, turning on their own and ramping up the abuse on their own players at close quarters.
    Notts County are a long long way from being ready to move up the league and, if by some fluke they did, at least half a dozen new faces are needed. Players who aren't afraid to play the ball on the ground.
    notts have been this bad all season it was only the good form of the lone players that put them in this position. Its a very poor league

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I obviously didn't go but these comments have reared their head often this season. I took a look at the top of league one this morning and it could easily read like the top of the championship there is some serious quality there. If by chance we do go up this year major investment in YOUNG and GOOD players will be needed ie not the likes of Saunders etc. I think we would be nailed on favorites for the drop next year as it stands. I dont think it would do Notts any harm to have another season in league 2 personally not that I dont want us to go up but more that I doubt it would actually do us any good to go up this year. It's a marathon not a sprint me duck.

I think you nailed it on the head Sidders

If we did win promotion, even Kev & Alan must know we'd come straight back down with most of this squad

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    If we did win promotion, even Kev & Alan must know we'd come straight back down with most of this squad
    They think they are all world beaters.

I think motivation is the key to where we went wrong. If ever i hear a player, manager or owner say " whatever happens today it's been a great season. We could never have expected to be in this position ..etc etc" i think i'll go mad!!
    We should be saying " we have a fantastic chance to finish in glory. Let's give it our maximum and don't let fear or anyone get in the way of our success.."
    They should not even privately be contemplating failure.
    We now have another chance so let's not blow it through fear

Quote Originally Posted by loiretchersteve View Post
    I think motivation is the key to where we went wrong. If ever i hear a player, manager or owner say " whatever happens today it's been a great season. We could never have expected to be in this position ..etc etc" i think i'll go mad!!
    We should be saying " we have a fantastic chance to finish in glory. Let's give it our maximum and don't let fear or anyone get in the way of our success.."
    They should not even privately be contemplating failure.
    We now have another chance so let's not blow it through fear
    I don't think we will blow it through fear Steve. More through ability or lack of.
    Last edited by navypie; 29-04-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I don't think we will blow it through fear Steve. More through ability or lack of.
    Maybe but you know what they say" Bull**** baffles brains everytime"
    So we could just carry this off 😊😊

Quote Originally Posted by loiretchersteve View Post
    Maybe but you know what they say" Bull**** baffles brains everytime"
    So we could just carry this off ����
    Goes without saying I hope we do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast