+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Last match

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester View Post
    What a fabulous day out! I wasn't going to go (150-mile round trip when I'm doing the same on Sunday is a bit much) after the lacklustre performance against Morecambe. I ain't half glad I did. Well done to the directors and management team who decided on the Academy XI, and well done to the lads who made it a proper footie game. The 'Crewe Way' may be old hat and trodden on by FA mismanagement and Premier League greed, but it was a simply joyous afternoon.
    PS Does anybody know how Sean Miller is? Worrying injury, but he kept upright until the final whistle.
    Amazingly he managed 60 minutes for Bakes on Sunday, despite carrying a leg at the end on Saturday (40 minutes more than Nick Powell who also played 90 the day before). Equally amazingly Colin Little played the full match (only 80 minutes) and still looked sharp and chasing down balls at the end, as well as showing you don't lose the goal poacher's instinct on a loose ball in the area for the goal!

It was a grand day out for Bakes yesterday, and very instructive as to who was still fit and who had the ability these days.

Great to see Deano still has it - harder to knock off the ball than Akinfenwa but with so much vision and ability. Rivo looked sharper in goal than some on the pitch but for me the outstanding player was David Wright. Fit as a flea and up and down the left flank (yes, playing the wrong side as so often) and hardly troubled all match - made you wonder if he fancies a one year deal for next season!

For many the ever popular Rodders was the highlight, but the sight of the manager sweeping passes all over the place (showing less pace than when suited and booted mind) and his trusty lieutenant Kenny running the show for the blues showed our future is in safe, footballing hands.

And don't forget our Under 18s Manager Lee Bell, covering acres of space in midfield alongside the little general James Collins for the reds! I thought Nick Powell was a useful RB when he came on too ......, while Mark Carrington reminded us of another Gudjon decision that wasn't necessarily in our long term interest. I see he's a regular for Wrexham, though not so many games this last season. Was surprised when he started at RB for the blues with Ollie Turton at LB, but it seems he plays there for Wrexham sometimes. Mind you, nothing beats King Kenny finishing the game at CH alongside Duggy!

And special thanks to Popey tbf. Played the whole game - nice tribute to Bakes

Was Dario there?

Only he has not been charged with anything, he is innocent until proven guilty. He has been suspended in HIS job as Director of Football and attending coaching sessions and so what was stopping him paying on the gate like any other member of the public in that game or any other game this last season? If it had been me and had a long association with someone like Bakes, then I would have gone as what could the FA do and anyway he is 75 now and unlikely to want to return to work and so two fingers Dario would have gone down very well with the fans and all those ex players...Maybe he thought by going he was risking some altercation with fans? I wouldn't think so myself.

I hope its all settled soon. How many attended this game?

But maybe he did attend?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Was Dario there?

Only he has not been charged with anything, he is innocent until proven guilty. He has been suspended in HIS job as Director of Football and attending coaching sessions and so what was stopping him paying on the gate like any other member of the public in that game or any other game this last season? If it had been me and had a long association with someone like Bakes, then I would have gone as what could the FA do and anyway he is 75 now and unlikely to want to return to work and so two fingers Dario would have gone down very well with the fans and all those ex players...Maybe he thought by going he was risking some altercation with fans? I wouldn't think so myself.

I hope its all settled soon. How many attended this game?

But maybe he did attend?
    He was at the meal and speeches - Scoff's posted tweet with him, Dario, Neil and Steve Holland together in photo. Attendance was 1450 as announced - though it felt like more tbh.

Absolutely spot on, whosbrian. We know Popey had a special bond with Bakes, but he played the full 90 minutes on Saturday as well and took the good natured booing in his stride. No matter what others might say he’s a decent footballing fella these days, never disses the Alex when on Radio Joke and remembers those he owes a lot to.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    Absolutely spot on, whosbrian. We know Popey had a special bond with Bakes, but he played the full 90 minutes on Saturday as well and took the good natured booing in his stride. No matter what others might say he’s a decent footballing fella these days, never disses the Alex when on Radio Joke and remembers those he owes a lot to.
    I thought that it was good of him to turn up to play, thought he looked better in a red shirt than the white of Vale, its a pity about the booing from one or two idiots but you will never get common decency from some people. On the whole he was well received and it was obvious he has a close bond with Bakes. I have got a lot of time for Pope as has been said he has never had a bad word to say about the Alex, although he plays for Vale he deserves a bit more respect from Alex supporters and I wouldn't mind someone who can score 20 goals a season being at the Alex. It was a good day out and a great occasion, I too thought it was more than 1450 at the game but pleased that so many people did turn up, it was well deserved.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234