+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Permutations

Permutations

CURRENT STANDINGS:

Swansea played 35 / 33 points / GD -25
    Southampton played 35 / 32 points / GD -19
    Stoke played 36 / 30 points / GD -33
    WBA played 36 / 28 points / GD -24

Remaining fixtures:

SWANSEA:
    Bournemouth (A) - LOSE - Anything but a Bournemouth win relegates us
    Southampton (H) - DRAW - Any other result relegates us
    Stoke (H) - LOSE - Any other result relegates us

FINISH ON 34 PTS

SOUTHAMPTON:
    Everton (A) - LOSE - A draw would still in theory keep us up, but we would have to overturn a GD of 4 in the remaining games
    Swansea (A) - DRAW - Any other result relegates us
    Man City (H) - LOSE - If they lose to Everton and draw with Swansea, again we could stay up if they drew this and we overturned GD

FINISH ON 33 PTS

STOKE:
    Palace (H) - DRAW - means Stoke would have a chance of staying up by beating Swansea on the last day and overturning goal difference.
    Swansea (A) - STOKE WIN - Stoke's only chance will be to win this by 2 or 3 goals if they draw v Palace and all results go this way.

FINISH ON 34 PTS

WBA:
    Spurs (H) - WIN
    Palace (A) - WIN - Only Southampton have a better goal difference than us. So if both teams end up on 34 points we may have to win this by a 2-3 goal margin to stay up.

FINISH ON 34 PTS AND STAY UP ON GD

So there you have it, we need a miracle to stay up. In truth it would be a miracle if we even went into the Palace game with a chance still. But you never know, football's a funny old game....

One way to look at it is to find out what odds you would get from a bookmaker of predicting all those results successfully. I don't think many people would take that bet expecting it to pay off. Yes there's still hope, and if it did happen it would make the great escape under Robson look lame, but to anyone but the most optimistic West Brom fan it's a pretty irrational hope.

If we were in control of our own destiny I would agree there is a chance, but expecting other teams results to fall into place....no chance...

Quote Originally Posted by Calgarybaggy View Post
    One way to look at it is to find out what odds you would get from a bookmaker of predicting all those results successfully. I don't think many people would take that bet expecting it to pay off. Yes there's still hope, and if it did happen it would make the great escape under Robson look lame, but to anyone but the most optimistic West Brom fan it's a pretty irrational hope.
    We were down with 20 minutes of the season left under Robson. Then fortune saved the Albion. Jon Fortune, Baggies hero.

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    We were down with 20 minutes of the season left under Robson. Then fortune saved the Albion. Jon Fortune, Baggies hero.
    In reality it was the dickhead who committed the foul way out on the wing in the other game that saved us...

As far as I'm concerned we just have to concentrate on beating Spurs on Saturday. If things go our way then we have to concentrate on beating Palace on the last game of the season. The rest, we have no influence over. The odds are stacked against us but that's all we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    As far as I'm concerned we just have to concentrate on beating Spurs on Saturday. If things go our way then we have to concentrate on beating Palace on the last game of the season. The rest, we have no influence over. The odds are stacked against us but that's all we can do.
    We do usually play well against Spurs and are quite capable of turning them over...I will be predicting a win this week.

Am I right in thinking that if Stoke win on Saturday in their early kick off, then we will be relegated before we kick a ball on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer1962 View Post
    Am I right in thinking that if Stoke win on Saturday in their early kick off, then we will be relegated before we kick a ball on Saturday?
    Yes. If Stoke win in the early game we are relegated by virtue of the fact that Swansea still have Stoke and Southampton to play and accumulation of points puts us down...

Lets hope they don't as I'm hoping we go into the game with Spurs with at least something to play for

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)