+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: End of the Match Day Programme ?

End of the Match Day Programme ?

EFL clubs are to vote on the future of the match day programme, with a vote to take place in June.
    EFL have revealed several of its members have questioned the requirement for clubs to offer a physical version of their product, in a era of social media.
    Many clubs have reported a drop in sales, in the current climate & there will now be a ballot on the issue during the close season.
    A statement by the EFl said, " At its summer meeting in June 2018, EFL clubs will vote on a proposal that will determine, whether or not it is an absolute requirement to produce a match programme, from the start of season 2018/19 onwards".
    But the 5 competitions they cover, Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy, & Sky - bet play-offs would continue to have a match day programme.

A little more info on Sky football news.

The way of the world sadly

Do they sell a digital version for tablets etc?

Would save trees.

Any financial implications to the club or is it minimal in the modern footballing economy? I suppose the sellers will lose out on what's probably important income for them.

Could save Zippy some space
    Last edited by CAMiller; 01-05-2018 at 04:15 AM.

One assumes that clubs will continue to produce a paper programme if there is a financial benefit for them in doing so.

I haven't bought a programme in years, but it is a shame for people for whom collecting them is a part of their pleasure in following the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Any financial implications to the club or is it minimal in the modern footballing economy? I suppose the sellers will lose out on what's probably important income for them.

Could save Zippy some space
    I sold all mine early last year Cam.....firstly for space and secondly for the fact that i was buying them, not even reading some of them and just putting them in one of many bookcases i had dotted around the house.
    At one point i had around 12,000 programmes, 8,000 magazines and over a thousand books....i live in a 2 bedroomed terraced house and although i'm very OCD and had them very neatly stored in alphabetical or chronological order, you can imagine the space limitation it caused.
    I buy the occasional one now, get it signed and framed to adorn my walls and that's about it.
    The only thing i saved which i'll never part with is my complete collection of Rothmans Football Yearbooks which are priceless to me for reference purposes now my brain is getting fuddled.

I only buy programmes for the high profile games or buy them at away games for a relative that can't get to that particular match.
    Still good value for money at £3 but can well understand why they are considering a vote on the future of the programmes.

Quote Originally Posted by zip64 View Post
    I sold all mine early last year Cam.....firstly for space and secondly for the fact that i was buying them, not even reading some of them and just putting them in one of many bookcases i had dotted around the house.
    At one point i had around 12,000 programmes, 8,000 magazines and over a thousand books....i live in a 2 bedroomed terraced house and although i'm very OCD and had them very neatly stored in alphabetical or chronological order, you can imagine the space limitation it caused.
    I buy the occasional one now, get it signed and framed to adorn my walls and that's about it.
    The only thing i saved which i'll never part with is my complete collection of Rothmans Football Yearbooks which are priceless to me for reference purposes now my brain is getting fuddled.
    That's a fair sized collection Zippy as well as a fire hazard I just tossed out my collection of only around 200 after carting them from UK to San Jose (Do you know the way?) and then Seattle.

I kept a couple for rileyev.the.third so if he's looking in I haven't forgotten. In fact they are in SY but just not made their way to you yet. By all accounts from your recent post reading programmes is not your top priority at the moment Must be catching as my cousin has acquired a girlfriend 19 years his junior.

Understandable some clubs are wasting their money and time but I think our club sells well.

I have a programme every home game and some away.

I think ours has been quite good this season and the minutes page is quite interesting

I’m sure our club make some money on them with the advertisements

I suppose some fans are tight *******s

Did you know that Ron Hull gives 10% off to Millers for hiring his skips upon production of programmes?
    Last edited by millertop; 01-05-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Match programmes have been produced for well over 100 years. I would have thought that programmes generate income through advertising, provide an up-to-date fixture list, give ticket details,etc and are a good way of communicating with fans generally. I usually buy one when I go to a match. The big clubs probably don't care about any of that for the amounts of money involved. It's another negative aspect of the Sky-ification of football, and not in the interest of ordinary fans. I wonder which clubs have initiated these proposals?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast