+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Penalty Shootout Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    No.

No pressure. No repercussions for missing. Players won’t have played 120 minutes of football.

Taking penalties is not an exact science. Make your decision as to how you want to hit the ball and where. This should be done before a ball is kicked.

IF penalties are required KN and the coaching team should know what each player wants to do. I would make each player tell the manager his plan, and the manager can back it and make sure the player is committed to it. More often than not it’s a poor penalty caused by ‘changing your mind’.
    What happens when the keeper is covering the part of goal stead has pre chosen to shoot at?

You can have a favourite place to aim but you have to be able to change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by caj85 View Post
    What happens when the keeper is covering the part of goal stead has pre chosen to shoot at?

You can have a favourite place to aim but you have to be able to change your mind.
    I never said anything about favourite sides. I was stating that a player should have made his mind up BEFORE he pops the ball on the spot.
    The player then should have the conviction to trust himself in what he has decided.
    Some of the best penalty takers in football would often mix it up in terms of where they went, what they all have in common is the confidence to back themselves.
    Watch the Ronaldo penalty in the last minute v Juventus. He knew where that was going and backed his ability to do it.

I never said anything about favourite sides. I was stating that a player should have made his mind up BEFORE he pops the ball on the spot.
    The player then should have the conviction to trust himself in what he has decided.
    Some of the best penalty takers in football would often mix it up in terms of where they went, what they all have in common is the confidence to back themselves.
    Watch the Ronaldo penalty in the last minute v Juventus. He knew where that was going and backed his ability to do it.
    So you chose to put it top right. You walk to the spot and place the ball down, take a few steps back and look up at the goal. You then see the keeper covering more of the goal where you intend to put the ball. What should you do? Still go for that top right? If the keeper saves it everyone will be quick to jump on his back telling him how stupid he was to try it.

You speak about the confidence to back themselves which is correct, but that confidence has to be there to adjust in any situation.

I find it ridiculous to say a player should tell his manager where he is putting it before even facing the goal.

How many goalkeepers stand anywhere other than centre? Only someone stupid would do or suggest they do that.
    I can only assume that you have never played a game in your life where you needed to take a penalty!?!?
    Last edited by Notts78; 02-05-2018 at 08:41 AM.

How many goalkeepers stand anywhere other than centre? Only someone stupid would do or suggest they do that.
    I can only assume that you have never played a game in your life where you needed to take a penalty!?!?
    It's quite common for a goalkeeper to stand off centre to try and manipulate the takers decision.

No.

I would make each player tell the manager his plan, and the manager can back it and make sure the player is committed to it.

just about qualifies for the most stupid thing I've read this year, well done you just took over from the op's original post.
    Last edited by maddogslater; 02-05-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    just about qualifies for the most stupid thing I've read this year, well done you just took over from the op's original post.
    Nope. I'm the stupid one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12