+ Visit Doncaster Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sat 5th

Thanks guys for the birthday wishes.

"Congratulations Waldron for another faultless organizational performance" but I was hoping for a few mistakes in my favour (LOL). Well done Scarjo on 3 half-season wins in a row. Thanks to everyone else for taking part or we wouldn't have the fun we have.

Scarjo, I went to Thorne Grammar School and I captained some chess matches against your school between about 1967 to 1970. I probably still have the dates, names and moves in my old chess book.

I vaguely remember the beginnings of a chess club at DGS Silvertop (possibly in 1967), in all probability at the initiative of a Maths teacher. Although maths and further maths were 2 of my A-level subjects, I wasn't interested in playing chess at the time (so I didn't play against you). I never got hooked on the game, though I did learn how to move the pieces around in a haphazardly fashion when my father-in-law became president of a club in France in the early eighties and taught me a few moves. I accidentally beat him once (but never again...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12