+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T: Sky loses La Liga coverage

O/T: Sky loses La Liga coverage

Sky loses the next three years of La Liga coverage to that household name 'Eleven Sports':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43976560

Depends what platform they use for broadcasting it, but a silly move by La Liga on face value. The profile of Spanish football has increased considerably in this country by being on the largest subscriber channel alongside lots of other football, but I can't see (as) many people paying a subscription just to see that brand.

Presumably the deal is lucrative in the short-term, but effectively they are consigning themselves to a backwater (like Premier Sports) and it gives other foreign leagues the chance to steal the biggest UK 'stage'. Like them or loathe them, Sky are the place to be in terms of the UK satellite sports market.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 03-05-2018 at 09:03 AM.

To be honest I thought Sky just had the rights to Madrid and Barcelona's games, I never saw any matches not involving those two teams apart from the odd Atletico game and nor would I really be interested.

I'd imagine it was mostly their choice and they decided it wasn't worth paying over the odds for La Liga when (I would imagine) most people over here only watch games involving the big two.

Yes they do show other games but they are not normally on at peak times.Sunday 11am ish is a favourite.
    Think the phase your looking for Jackal2 is la ligue not looking at the bigger picture.No pun intended.Same can be said about us Notts' fans sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Yes they do show other games but they are not normally on at peak times.Sunday 11am ish is a favourite.
    Think the phase your looking for Jackal2 is la ligue not looking at the bigger picture.No pun intended.Same can be said about us Notts' fans sometimes.
    I read somewhere that Sky lost to an 18 million pound bid which to me indicates two things: firstly that the UK market isn't very important to La Liga when compared to the huge Asian deals, and secondly that Sky didn't really care that much about keeping the rights.