+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: AFC Marketing - as usual shambolic

AFC Marketing - as usual shambolic

The club, like much of British business has panicked with the GDPR deadline on 25 May and scrambled around to do something about compliance. They have chosen the most business-disadvantageous route, the 'double opt-in' i.e. you already receive email from the club but you are required to state your willingness to continue doing so. One of the companies I work with modelled this approach based on other emails and expected a 7% response rate were they to take this approach. Given AFC used (or tried to use) the ticketing site for their initial requests for confirmation they could reasonably use 'legitimate interest' as a reason for continued mailings: if you registered and bought a ticket, you are likely to be interested in information from the club.

So their first attempt was understandably a failure. The link to specify your preferences went through to the ticketing site (what has receiving emails to do with ticketing?) which required a Dons ID to log in (so scurry to find that) and then, after logging in, there was no link to the Data Protection options they advertised in the email.

Having presumably little response they encourage people to opt in by offering a draw for a season ticket. The email includes the addressee’s Dons ID (one step forward) has a click here option but with the html link forgotten so no click possible (three steps back). There is a link on the AFC website which offers the same thing as ‘a competition’ but the log in doesn’t work.

The costs of the new stadium are going to require a massive marketing effort to prevent the club sinking into a financial quagmire. It doesn’t look they are up to it.

I found the data protection thingwy quite easily to be fair.

I was confused. Think I have done it but not sure. Don't think I'm totally technophobic so think the OP has a point.