+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A controversial one .......

A controversial one .......

....for you all to ponder. I do think we will have money to spend, but I also believe we need to generate money from a sale or two, so we can re-invest that money in strengthening the side to do battle in the Champ.

I really like Dack. He got us up this season. But we have to be realistic. He's never played in the Champ. There will be a reason for that. I do have concerns about his injuries aswell. He has had the same one which saw him miss the first month or two of the season. He then got it again, and was injured for the final month. If we base our whole first 11 around this lad, it could backfire. I think he could go missing for a long spell in the Champ. I worry he may not have the impact required. But equally, I do believe someone will be willing to pay £8m for him. I just happen to think £8m spent wisely could see us get in the players who will push us on. Dack has been immense. He has been great to watch. But only when he fancied it. Which to be fair, from Oct - March he was on another level. But it is only the 3rd division afterall. We need more next season. It's a tough league. And being realistic, he hasn't played at that level. Do we cash in, generate money to be re-invested? Or risk keeping him? Unproven, injury prone. Tough one.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by champs95; 04-05-2018 at 12:15 PM.

I believe Tony will have considered this, definitely. Have to wait and see.

I think Dack would be hard to replace. I don't mean we couldn't get an equally good player; it's just that his specific role between the midfield and the attack has been at the core of the team's formation, so we would probably have to re-shape if we couldn't get like-for-like. Mowbray seems to me quite capable of doing that, because I suspect he re-thought his whole tactical plan for the season after those first two games. For example, did he or anyone else envisage Smallwood being at the heart of the team in every game?
    All the same, I suspect TM will be fighting to retain Dack. More likely, I think, is cover for Graham.
    I know Saxo would favour a proper target-man, and I agree that there's something to be said for that. After all, a lot of Dack's goals have come from his ability to feed on the loose ball. (I thought Džeko looked decent for Roma. Perhaps we could get him. )
    As Champs says, though, if someone comes in with a massive offer, who knows? I suppose a lot depends on how much extra Venky's are willing to fork out.
    As I said on the relevant thread ten days ago, I'd rather see us sign two or three good players than half a dozen of about the same standard as we have now.

I would recommend a Spell in the pit of despair for the person selling Dack for less than £15 million. His record speaks for itself. Build around him is my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by test View Post
    I would recommend a Spell in the pit of despair for the person selling Dack for less than £15 million. His record speaks for itself. Build around him is my advice.
    I don't know. Sounds a bit too much like build around Jordan Rhodes for me. It doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    I don't know. Sounds a bit too much like build around Jordan Rhodes for me. It doesn't work.
    Not quite the same, I reckon, Saxo. Lots of people have scored this season, and Graham has been just as pivotal to the system as Dack. I am almost certain Mowbray would prefer to have a fast, genuine winger as an extra possibility too. He genuinely seems to believe in this flexible approach he's talked about.
    The point about Dack is that he offers something a bit different and unpredictable in that free role. Even so, we have seen that other people can step up when he is not at his best (or absent altogether).
    I don't think TM is the type to get obsessed with a single-track style.

A tricky one
    I had 10 million going round my mind and if that was met we could invest in several key areas of the team however I would be unsure on selling players who clearly have a positive effect on the team as a whole
    Everybody has a price though.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)