+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match ratings

Match ratings

Collin-7-made one or two decent saves never looked in much trouble
    Tootle-8- mom-made some good saving tackles
    Brisley-5- looked shaky at the back without Duffy
    Jones -5- got caught out especially in the first half, didn't look fully fit
    Hall -6- ok but the middle of our defence looked shaky
    Virtue-6- steady and worked hard
    Hewitt-7- plays the holding roll well
    O'Connor-7- nice to see him back as a steadying influence
    Grant-7- more involved today than in recent weeks
    Stead-6- Usual work ethic but often got battered from behind most of the game
    Forte -6- Didn't get any real chances
    subs-6
    I never thought I would say this but we missed Duffy today mainly for his organisation as we looked shaky down the middle.
    A draw was a fair result imo.

It's seems a churlish point to make when we've kept a clean sheet against the best scorers in the division, but our defenders give me a heart attack at times with their shadow play, as I call it. We seem to stand off attackers and not make a tackle for far too long, and several times today we survived because of Luton's uncharacteristically poor finishing rather than our interventions. I know you can't dive in, but at some point surely you've got to try and tackle or at least get your foot to the ball rather than just looking at it?

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Collin-7-made one or two decent saves never looked in much trouble
    Tootle-8- mom-made some good saving tackles
    Brisley-5- looked shaky at the back without Duffy
    Jones -5- got caught out especially in the first half, didn't look fully fit
    Hall -6- ok but the middle of our defence looked shaky
    Virtue-6- steady and worked hard
    Hewitt-7- plays the holding roll well
    O'Connor-7- nice to see him back as a steadying influence
    Grant-7- more involved today than in recent weeks
    Stead-6- Usual work ethic but often got battered from behind most of the game
    subs-6
    I never thought I would say this but we missed Duffy today mainly for his organisation as we looked shaky down the middle.
    A draw was a fair result imo.
    Just about right 61 apart from, Grant-5 and Virtue-4 . Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Whaaaaat? He had a handful of chances, how he managed to not get on the end of a couple of the balls put across I'll never know. Think you're being kind to Virtue too, when the ref sent off Hylton it just made the game 10 against 10.

I thought Tootle had a brilliant game and thoroughly deserved man of the match.

We were taught a footballing lesson today.

It's like someone has told us the ball's a nuclear bomb that will detonate if we retain possession. Everyone, under pressure or not, looks desperately uncomfortable with the ball and in a huge hurry to knock it long. It's desperate to watch.

Collin 7 Still not his biggest fan but was pretty solid today, distribution also much improved.
    Toots 8 MOTM today, made some great last ditch tackles and always a threat when given the chance on the overlap, which unfortunately is not often enough.
    Brisley 5 Agree he might have missed Duffy, caught flat footed and out of position too often.
    Hall 5.5 See Brisley but a bit better.
    Jones 6 Always been concerned he cannot defend and was found wanting again on several occasions today. However always a threat going forward and can actually cross the ball.
    Virtue 6 worked hard, lacked quality. Just think he’s half a yard and half a second away from being a very good player, not his best today though.
    Hewitt 7 Hewitt was basically Hewitt!
    O’Connor 7.5 Great awareness, positioning and always talking to the young lads. Great to have him back in time for play offs.
    Grant 6 One decent shot on goal.
    Stead 6 Worked hard, couldn’t win a ball in the air to save his life today.
    Forte 6 Had a few opportunities to do more than he did today but no one can deny we look more threading with him on the pitch.
    Subs 6 Thought Alessandra and Husin both did ok when they came on. There is a good player in Husin I’m sure of it. Smiths last game?

I accept we were up against good opposition, but I think your marks are a bit generous i961.

Collin - 6 - competent.
    Tootle- 7* - good defensively and going forward.
    Brisley- 6 - ok against a good attack.
    Hall- 6.5 - covered well.
    Jones - 4.5 - all over the place defensively, didn't offer much at the other end.
    Virtue- 5.5 - not as involved as he has been.
    Hewitt- 6 - put himself about well.
    O'Connor- 6 - neat and tidy but no real impression.
    Grant- 5.5 - seems to have lost his ability to beat a man and shoot.
    Stead- 5.5 - never offered any goal threat.
    Forte - 5.5 - didn't make the most of the few scraps he got.

Subs-

Alessandra - 5.5 - another winger who can't beat a full back.
    Husin - 5.5 - never adjusted to the pace of the game.
    Smith - 5 - needs to work on his hairstyle.

Disappointing. We were second best throughout, and even when we were playing 10 men they had the better chances. Their passing and movement were a few levels above ours, and I think they'll be disappointed not to finish with 3 points. On the plus side, an excellent crowd and whatever happens in the playoffs we won't be humiliated by the inbreds!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It's seems a churlish point to make when we've kept a clean sheet against the best scorers in the division, but our defenders give me a heart attack at times with their shadow play, as I call it. We seem to stand off attackers and not make a tackle for far too long, and several times today we survived because of Luton's uncharacteristically poor finishing rather than our interventions. I know you can't dive in, but at some point surely you've got to try and tackle or at least get your foot to the ball rather than just looking at it?
    This is one of my frustrations too much standing off, and we even let it happen in our box and let opposing players get a shot at goal. Why? Also when down to ten men we passed the ball right back to Collins and then he kicked it out under pressure from a Luton player to another one. I think if they had a full 11 we may have lost that game. Twice with ten men they still managed to get behind our defenders and cut our defence wide open. The sign of a good team though if you can go down to ten and it makes little difference.

Good to see Alan Sheehan get a good reception and I thought at the end both sets of fans were an absolute credit to their club.

Said it all when he brought Smith on with 9 minutes to go and they were down to 10 men , Nolan was happy with a point . So was I .

Luton looked a good footballing side. They were strong on the ball and always looked to slot balls in between our defence. Quite a contrast with our style of play! I think their formation really works well. If you have two good wing backs, you basically gain an extra man in defence and midfield. The result was they always had 5 or 6 players in our half when attacking, whereas we tend to hit it forward so early that we just have Stead and Forte and nobody else supporting.

I went with a few non-Notts fans yesterday, and I said to them at half time that we usually play like this, and pretty much every half time I wonder how the hell we are near the top of the table, but then we usually go on and get a result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast