+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Well said. Swale is a good bloke and deserves a bit more respect for giving his time keeping us all in order on MAD . Well trying his best ! Can't be easy with the likes of Elite and Sidders. Me , I'm a dream.
    Quite right. We are fortunate that this board is moderated by sensible people.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I always had a lot of respect for his achievements, but Sir Alex went up a bit more in my estimation when he attended Jimmy's funeral in person. If I remember correctly I think Man U had a game that night, so it would have been easy for him just to send a message of sympathy and make the game his priority. Forget how good a manager he was, to me this shows that he never forgot his roots and his friends, and as Cher just said, "That's class".
    Mmm and he went back to Notts afterwards for the wake, he didn't need to do that either. At the church, I could hear someone behind me singing the hymns with a beautiful voice, so turned to see who it was, and it was Sir Alex.

Quite right. We are fortunate that this board is moderated by sensible people.
    When it's moderated. I believe TB's comment that Jacob's family deserve to die is still up - for example - despite having been called out by about 10 hall-of-famers.

My point is that if him and tricky are allowed to post their bilious filth most of the time, then all 'new' posters take it as licence to do the same. In that sense, and with all due respect to the mods, drive-by modding is almost as good as no modding.

Re: Sir Alex. My old man still talks about meeting the Man U directors in the old director's bar at Meadow Lane at the time they were discussing the fans who wanted rid of him after his first season at Man U. They had to withstand a lot of pressure to not let him go. On such stands is history made.

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    When it's moderated. I believe TB's comment that Jacob's family deserve to die is still up - for example - despite having been called out by about 10 hall-of-famers.

My point is that if him and tricky are allowed to post their bilious filth most of the time, then all 'new' posters take it as licence to do the same. In that sense, and with all due respect to the mods, drive-by modding is almost as good as no modding.
    I wouldn't but can't anyone have a go ?

Could you report that post please sol, or link to it? I haven't seen it and to the best of my knowledge no-one has reported it. Calling out is good but doesn't help solve the problem. Reporting it would be really helpful.

Take your point about drive by modding, and that's where a visible editor who manages the site would make such a difference. I haven't got the time to do anything other than pop on here occasionally, and am sure It's the same for Swale. It's a thankless job, and the best thing would be for more people who do have the time (and no hidden agendas against other posters :-D !) to take some of it on. Until then, if people could report offensive stuff, that would be great.

Anyway, back to Sir Alex. . .

With the Sirrel connection, I do wonder if Ferguson's name came up in the summer of 1983 when we were looking for a replacement for Howard Wilkinson. He was still at Aberdeen then. I reckon he would have done a better job than Larry Lloyd.

That's a very valid point Sol, but you have to take into account that our mods have stated that they can't be on here 24/7. Some nasty stuff has occasionally got through unchallenged, but even then it's subjective. I've seen how mods who moderate on personal dislikes rather than Footymad rules (Romanis, Tricky and Basie over the river) can kill a board stone dead in an instant. I was once given a 7 day ban on there for 'being right' just because a moderator was proved wrong and was pathetic enough to use his so called 'power' to try and come out on top!!! On balance I think we do pretty well to keep a vibrant messageboard going here.

That's a very valid point Sol, but you have to take into account that our mods have stated that they can't be on here 24/7. Some nasty stuff has occasionally got through unchallenged, but even then it's subjective. I've seen how mods who moderate on personal dislikes rather than Footymad rules (Romanis, Tricky and Basie over the river) can kill a board stone dead in an instant. I was once given a 7 day ban on there for 'being right' just because a moderator was proved wrong and was pathetic enough to use his so called 'power' to try and come out on top!!! On balance I think we do pretty well to keep a vibrant messageboard going here.
    I've got no dramas with the mods on here although I did get banned once for some innocuous statement about people being Chinese or Japanese which was a reference to King Of The Hill. Other than that I think they do a splendid job of not getting involved. APart from the odd cock head the board moderates itself.

You let Tarquin lower the tone for months and years cuz you sympathize with his bigotry, then you decide to 'moderate' when it suits you. It must be very hard for the tone-lowerers to keep up.

You are correct in that I moderate when it suits me. As a volunteer I think you'll find that is my prerogative. Now take a chill pill before it starts suiting me to moderate again. [This is an attempt at humour, before anyone starts!]

As Cher has so clearly explained previously, it isn't a case of 'when we feel like it', rather it's 'when we have time to do it'. In order to have 'full time' moderation we'd need a dozen or more moderators and, unfortunately, only my self and Cher have taken on the thankless task at this time. I do appreciate that stuff gets through the net but if it's reported we can respond in a more timely fashion.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 07-05-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast