+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anway for expats to watch the game?

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Expat!! What's wrong with the term immigrant?
    Depends on the context. We are all expats of the UK but immigrants of different countries.

see new topic
    Last edited by sota; 07-05-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Depends on the context. We are all expats of the UK but immigrants of different countries.
    That's right. My view has always been that expat denotes the more general state of living outside one's native country. An immigrant is someone who undertakes the more specific act of leaving his native country to live in another usually with the intention of staying their permanently.

Its just me. I have a problem with the concept of expat. It is the attitude I see of Brit Colonian right of passage that's evident where I travel in Middle East, South Asia and Far East. I understand its different in the States and NZ. No offence intended Silly.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Its just me. I have a problem with the concept of expat. It is the attitude I see of Brit Colonian right of passage that's evident where I travel in Middle East, South Asia and Far East. I understand its different in the States and NZ. No offence intended Silly.
    It is true, WanChaiMiller, that the term expat - particularly for British expats - is perceived a bit differently in Asia/Middle East than in North America and possibly Australasia. I think it has a lot to do, as you say, with how recently the location stopped having any kind of colonial status. I felt this most strongly in Hong Kong before the handover in 1997.

It's also a lot to do with the recent history of how expatriate employees were treated by their employers. It's changing now but, until recently the deal in Asia/Middle East often provided, a nice housing allowance, special schooling arrangements, club membership, maid and driver and so on. This conveyed the sense of being privileged and somehow in an elite apart from the local population. This is still the case - though to a lesser extent but it gives rise to exactly what you say. This isn't only for Brits, of course. It's largely the same for other Europeans and Americans.

Expats working in the US and to a great extent in Australasia, on the other hand, are employed on pretty much the same terms as locals. This changes the meaning of the word.

If you're in the US, all EFL play-off matches are streaming on ESPN+. You get a free 7-day trial, then it's $4.99 a month, which you can cancel at any time. If you sign up after Thursday, you'll be able watch both semi-final legs as part of the free trial.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    It is true, WanChaiMiller, that the term expat - particularly for British expats - is perceived a bit differently in Asia/Middle East than in North America and possibly Australasia. I think it has a lot to do, as you say, with how recently the location stopped having any kind of colonial status. I felt this most strongly in Hong Kong before the handover in 1997.

It's also a lot to do with the recent history of how expatriate employees were treated by their employers. It's changing now but, until recently the deal in Asia/Middle East often provided, a nice housing allowance, special schooling arrangements, club membership, maid and driver and so on. This conveyed the sense of being privileged and somehow in an elite apart from the local population. This is still the case - though to a lesser extent but it gives rise to exactly what you say. This isn't only for Brits, of course. It's largely the same for other Europeans and Americans.

Expats working in the US and to a great extent in Australasia, on the other hand, are employed on pretty much the same terms as locals. This changes the meaning of the word.
    Thanks for that CT. I've never visited that area so didn't realise there was an association as you describe. I did stop off in Singapore once for a couple of hours on the way to Australia and must admit they didn't seem to give me any preferential treatment

I was under the impression I am both an expat and an immigrant.

Regardless of that, did you manage to find what I hinted at or are you yet another wind up merchant?
    Last edited by sota; 08-05-2018 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Regardless of that, did you manage to find what I hinted at or are you yet another wind up merchant?
    OMG SOTA so sorry, no I didn't get what the name was. A bit slow Im afraid. No not a wind up merchant.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast