+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Anway for expats to watch the game?

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    No offence taken matey, it's not personal. Good luck finding the station. The receiver is available in Canada. Adios.
    Fair dos sorry about the tampon comment.

No worries mate. Good luck x

Bloody foreigners go abroad scrounging off other countries then come on here scrounging for free TV. Bloody plastics

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Bloody foreigners go abroad scrounging off other countries then come on here scrounging for free TV. Bloody plastics

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Be willing to pay if only could find a seller. Pay for Sky but no footy on here.

Quote Originally Posted by sickly_child View Post
    I was under the impression I am both an expat and an immigrant.
    You have to have gone to a better safer place to be an immigrant. I don't class myself as an immigrant when asked by a French national I just use my first sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Sorry, but I think that you are. As the Quo once said... Don't Waste My Time.
    Don't Waste My Time
    ( Rossi / Young )

You spend my money
    You drink my best red wine
    You think it's funny
    To see me all the time
    Sitting with my head hanging down
    Treating me just like a clown
    You spend my money
    But come on honey don't waste my time

When you get older
    You'll see what you have done
    You hung on my shoulder
    And loved me just for fun
    But some day when I'm older too
    I'm gonna come and make fool out of you
    You spend my money
    And honey
    You sure did waste my time

You spend my money
    You drink my best red wine
    You think it's funny
    To see me all the time
    Sitting with my head hanging down
    Treating me like a clown
    You spend my money
    Come on honey don't waste my time

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    You have to have gone to a better safer place to be an immigrant. I don't class myself as an immigrant when asked by a French national I just use my first sentence.
    To be fair I think I have gone to a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    It is true, WanChaiMiller, that the term expat - particularly for British expats - is perceived a bit differently in Asia/Middle East than in North America and possibly Australasia. I think it has a lot to do, as you say, with how recently the location stopped having any kind of colonial status. I felt this most strongly in Hong Kong before the handover in 1997.

It's also a lot to do with the recent history of how expatriate employees were treated by their employers. It's changing now but, until recently the deal in Asia/Middle East often provided, a nice housing allowance, special schooling arrangements, club membership, maid and driver and so on. This conveyed the sense of being privileged and somehow in an elite apart from the local population. This is still the case - though to a lesser extent but it gives rise to exactly what you say. This isn't only for Brits, of course. It's largely the same for other Europeans and Americans.

Expats working in the US and to a great extent in Australasia, on the other hand, are employed on pretty much the same terms as locals. This changes the meaning of the word.
    Spot on CT. I know you lived in HK so will know what Im getting at.

I didnt want to expand for fear if hijacking Sicklys thread and upsetting Sota.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Spot on CT. I know you lived in HK so will know what Im getting at.

I didnt want to expand for fear if hijacking Sicklys thread and upsetting Sota.
    Funnily enough I am going to Hong Kong and mainland China with work in July. Never been to either.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast