+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Repeatedly tonking the Wo1ve5 especially in the games that matter

Repeatedly tonking the Wo1ve5 especially in the games that matter

If as seems likely we are a division below the Wolves it will seem strange to me as for nearly all of my football life (my first match was in 1962) we have both looked down on them from our league position (sometimes by as much as 3 divisions) and whenever I have been there almost never lost. So to cheer myself up I had a little look at the games I recall attending.

I may have seen earlier fixtures but the first I have a memory of was an early season 4-1 win at the Hawthorns under the floodlights.

Truly the only game I remember being at when we lost was a 2-0 defeat at Molineux in the early 70's. I distintcly remember Johnny Kaye playing right back and being given the run around by Wagstaffe.

I have been to 20+ BCD's so I have plenty of other memories of Albion wins to keep this thread going.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    If as seems likely we are a division below the Wolves it will seem strange to me as for nearly all of my football life (my first match was in 1962) we have both looked down on them from our league position (sometimes by as much as 3 divisions) and whenever I have been there almost never lost. So to cheer myself up I had a little look at the games I recall attending.

I may have seen earlier fixtures but the first I have a memory of was an early season 4-1 win at the Hawthorns under the floodlights.

Truly the only game I remember being at when we lost was a 2-0 defeat at Molineux in the early 70's. I distintcly remember Johnny Kaye playing right back and being given the run around by Wagstaffe.

I have been to 20+ BCD's so I have plenty of other memories of Albion wins to keep this thread going.
    Enjoy the SECOND Division

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65 View Post
    Enjoy the SECOND Division
    Evewolf...you know we tonked you most games and still you come on here and take more tonking from all the baggie posters....god you must be a glutton for punishment....

GLM, it sometimes pays to do a bit of research before making comments like "we tonked you most games".

If 9goals (usually) selective era starts from the 4-1 win in August '67, the record for you against Wolves is:

W 22
    L 15
    D 19

Go back another 10 years and we would have the bragging rights to date.

Good to see it's us looking forward though, not constantly back into the murky past.

Last edited by Newcy Wolf; 07-05-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Whatever position we finish this Year, we're still 11th in the All-time League - compared to Wo1ve5' 14th.
    And we're nearly 400 pts clear of them. If Wo1ve5 finish a full 20 places above us every Year for the next 20 years they can brag that they're the bigger Club.
    (I'll probably be gone by 2038, so it ay likely to happen in my lifetime - and I couldn't stand the humiliation).

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    Whatever position we finish this Year, we're still 11th in the All-time League - compared to Wo1ve5' 14th.
    And we're nearly 400 pts clear of them. If Wo1ve5 finish a full 20 places above us every Year for the next 20 years they can brag that they're the bigger Club.
    (I'll probably be gone by 2038, so it ay likely to happen in my lifetime - and I couldn't stand the humiliation).
    Talksaft, how is this points system worked out?

Brings a smile to my face that one of them has took the time and looked at all those results, Thought that might happen.

Of couse my memory is selective. Isn't everyones? You must have a queer memory if not. And surely no one can have forgotten 1-5, 0-3,3-0 or play offs. Don't worry I'll remind you of them all later if you can bear to go on reading. So it's no sophism on my part just an honest reflection of games I attended and remember v Wolves.

Anyway my next memory is 1-0 in the Championship Play Offs.

I picked my son up straight from Junior School to drive the 170 miles to the Hawthorns. When we got there I guessed he must be hungry but he said he was so nervous he couldn't possibly eat. From the match I only remember Kevin Phillip's goal at the SME and then the Albion CH passing the ball past Kiely. Only the BRE blowing so hard actually gave the Albion defender time to get back and clear it mm's from the line. The only chance they had all game.Who was the Albion CH?
    And on the pitch after the match.
    On the way back the wife called every 1/2 hour to make sure we were OK. Got back about 2. Next morning I went to work and the lad went to school one very happy Baggie.
    And talking of Keven Phillips how many did he score for us v the Wo1ve5?
    Seem to remember he had a predliction for scoring against them whoever he played for. Anyone confirm? Perhaps Eve or Newcy can look it up and come on here with the total.

Who put the ball in the Dingle's goal
    Who put the ball in the Dingle's goal Super Kevin Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by Newcy Wolf View Post
    Talksaft, how is this points system worked out?
    Starting in 1888-89, 12 points get awarded to the Top team (PNE) and 1 for the bottom team.
    The League gradually increased (upto 36 by 1900) and the winners get 36 pts and bottom Club get 1.
    By 1921 there were 66 Clubs (Winners get 66, and bottom Club get 1).
    From 1951 onwards 92 for finishing Top, and 1 for finishing bottom.
    (In the days of 3rd Division North and South, the points are awarded equally by respective positions, so that the Top team in North Division get 48 and Top South Division get 48. Those finishing Second get 46 pts, etc).

You might not like it, Newcy, but it's the only scientific way to grade all Clubs in the All-time League.
    You could always argue that no respect is given for success in the European Cup, or F.A.Cup, but the All-time League is what it is, and can't be argued with. How many points would you award for winning the F.A.Cup, for instance, 92? 50? 10?
    If you're interested I'll post the All-time League to include this season, next week. (You'll still be finishing with 73 pts, while we outgun you on 74 or 75!)

I put all data together at work a few years ago when I was killing time! I did it because a nauseating fan on one Board kept going on about how much "bigger" Wo1ve5 were But the fact is that Albion are far "bigger" based on those unarguable stats.

Number of Teams (thus Points awarded):

1951 to present 92
    1924 to 1950: 88
    1922 to 1923 86
    1921 66
    1920 44
    1906 to 1915 40
    1899 to 1905 36
    1895 to 1898 32
    1894 31
    1893 28
    1892 14
    1888 to 1891 12

It was just a question TalkSAFT.

Am i right in saying that on that basis Everton would be classed as a bigger club than Man. Utd having hardly ever left the top flight league and thus possibly accruing more 'points'?

Who made up this points system? Yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Brings a smile to my face that one of them has took the time and looked at all those results, Thought that might happen.

Of couse my memory is selective. Isn't everyones? You must have a queer memory if not. And surely no one can have forgotten 1-5, 0-3,3-0 or play offs. Don't worry I'll remind you of them all later if you can bear to go on reading. So it's no sophism on my part just an honest reflection of games I attended and remember v Wolves.

Anyway my next memory is 1-0 in the Championship Play Offs.

I picked my son up straight from Junior School to drive the 170 miles to the Hawthorns. When we got there I guessed he must be hungry but he said he was so nervous he couldn't possibly eat. From the match I only remember Kevin Phillip's goal at the SME and then the Albion CH passing the ball past Kiely. Only the BRE blowing so hard actually gave the Albion defender time to get back and clear it mm's from the line. The only chance they had all game.Who was the Albion CH?
    And on the pitch after the match.
    On the way back the wife called every 1/2 hour to make sure we were OK. Got back about 2. Next morning I went to work and the lad went to school one very happy Baggie.
    And talking of Keven Phillips how many did he score for us v the Wo1ve5?
    Seem to remember he had a predliction for scoring against them whoever he played for. Anyone confirm? Perhaps Eve or Newcy can look it up and come on here with the total.

Who put the ball in the Dingle's goal Super Kevin Phillips.
    Dodgy Sodje.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)