+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumb Questions About Playoffs...

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    If I am correct I don't think the away goals rule counts in this years play-offs either.
    You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    If we do make the final - it's hard to image we'd be as inept as we were at Wembley against Bradford.
    Agreed, that day at Wembley was a real low point. The Bradford fans outnumbered us by quite a bit (I think it was their first ever Wembley trip) and then scored in their first attack without us ever looking like getting back into the game. If nothing else the team we have now is well-drilled and you cannot imagine us capitulating in quite the same manner.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post

Also I think those playoffs only had three teams from the promoting division joined by one threatened with relegation from the division above. Whichever won stayed up or went up.
    Wow, that's not something I'd heard of but I'm glad they scrapped it. A team who have had led an awful campaign in the league above shouldn't be given a second bite of the cherry alongside team's who've fought hard for their play-off positions.

I'm also glad we don't have relegation play-offs like in the Bundesliga. It seems like a sadistic way of prolonging the agony of relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    If I am correct I don't think the away goals rule counts in this years play-offs either.
    From Wiki.....Before the 1999–2000 season away goals were used as a tie-breaker after extra time had been played, however, this was abolished following a club initiative launched by then-Ipswich Town chairman David Sheepshanks, after his club had twice lost on away goals in 1997 and 1999.[2] Since then away goals have played no part in the play-off system.

Quote Originally Posted by DomdomPie View Post
    Wow, that's not something I'd heard of but I'm glad they scrapped it. A team who have had led an awful campaign in the league above shouldn't be given a second bite of the cherry alongside team's who've fought hard for their play-off positions.
    There was a reason for that, the top flight was being reduced to 20 teams at the time over the course of two seasons (so they went down to 21 for one year and one club each week was without a fixture, 2nd tier similar with 23 clubs). So Charlton could have been the 4th team to go down from the top flight in 1987 had they not beat Leeds.
    Once the restructuring was over, it was play offs as we know them today.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    From Wiki.....Before the 1999–2000 season away goals were used as a tie-breaker after extra time had been played, however, this was abolished following a club initiative launched by then-Ipswich Town chairman David Sheepshanks, after his club had twice lost on away goals in 1997 and 1999.[2] Since then away goals have played no part in the play-off system.
    They should scrap the away goals rule in Europe now too. It made sense at one time because going abroad was like going to the moon in the 1950s and 1960s, even in the 1980s when crossing the iron curtain, fans didn't travel much then, hotels for players could be very poor, refs could be bribed etc. there was a huge advantage playing at home, but today they're all pampered wherever they go and a team like Liverpool going to Roma is not much different to going to Southampton (where they'll travel by plane as well).

This thread has been an enjoyable read for me - glad I asked. Thanks to all who replied, and especially to MAD_MAGPIE for the detailed response - particularly on the logic behind having playoffs. When I was thinking about them before I was somewhat cynical, but that explanation helped me see how it very much is a means of giving a lot of teams something to play for for longer throughout the season. And if Nott's history is anything to go by then Elite might do well to lump on.

A follow up, if I may: upthemagpies mentioned that Warnock didn't hide his disdain for playoffs. Did he ever explain why?

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Crazy under Barnwell. Anyone remember the opening game of the season against Wigan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQtyPenEMM4 4-4
    Vividly!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

As a Notts fan, they have been fantastic, we've never suffered an injustice (gone up when we've been highest placed, stayed down when not) and I've very much enjoyed Fword's failures in them.
    Yep. We'll always have Yeovil. Booked your hotel for Wembley yet anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Yep. We'll always have Yeovil. Booked your hotel for Wembley yet anyone?
    See thread: Roll Call For Coventry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12