+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Star: An open letter to Sheffield Utd owners

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
    As a forum, this place would be pretty boring if everyone just focused on the positives all the time.
    It is rare, CD, for anyone to focus on the positives, any of the time. Whilst it is eminently possible for it all to go boobs skywards, I think we also need to accept that, based on what we actually know for certain about the current state of play with KK/HRH/CW (which is the square root of 'feck all'), that there are other outcomes too which don't include pestilence and floods. Until this whole thing has come out in the wash, there may be a value in keeping just a sliver of open-mindedness, instead of convincing ourselves, and over-stating how completely disasterous its all going to be, no..?

it appears I'm in a minority of one, then!

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    It is rare, CD, for anyone to focus on the positives, any of the time. Whilst it is eminently possible for it all to go boobs skywards, I think we also need to accept that, based on what we actually know for certain about the current state of play with KK/HRH/CW (which is the square root of 'feck all'), that there are other outcomes too which don't include pestilence and floods. Until this whole thing has come out in the wash, there may be a value in keeping just a sliver of open-mindedness, instead of convincing ourselves, and over-stating how completely disasterous its all going to be, no..?

it appears I'm in a minority of one, then!
    make that two FKB

It is rare, CD, for anyone to focus on the positives, any of the time.
    Which reminds me, where is Rod?

Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post

FKB, it's a fair point, but what would be the point of this place if people didn't engage in prognostication and interpreting everything as some kind of auger of doom?

Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post
    think he's just popped in tt

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    think he's just popped in tt
    Jinxed it, been a wonderful weekend too but all good things.............................

You forgot earthquakes and locusts Gray!

I think its typical of Unitedites to fix on the worst possible outcome on any situation with the club, but that doesn't make it the most likely one. Other outcomes including 'We were worrying over nowt', and 'Its all so much better now the Prince has taken over' are equally possible.

UTB
    I’ve spent most of my working life planning for the worst case scenarios FKB and still do to an extent.

It’d be nice to sit back and say ‘Be reight!’, my Missis’s family are brilliant at that, but unfortunately when things do go tits up, the ‘Be reights’ rarely come up with a solution because they never really saw the problem coming.

As those who know me in the real world say, I’m a glass half full person, a cheery chappie most of the time, but if an iceberg approaches, I think it’d be dereliction of duty for me to to sit back and throw a few rocks in the malt. It’s just not my style mate.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    I’ve spent most of my working life planning for the worst case scenarios FKB and still do to an extent.

It’d be nice to sit back and say ‘Be reight!’, my Missis’s family are brilliant at that, but unfortunately when things do go tits up, the ‘Be reights’ rarely come up with a solution because they never really saw the problem coming.

As those who know me in the real world say, I’m a glass half full person, a cheery chappie most of the time, but if an iceberg approaches, I think it’d be dereliction of duty for me to to sit back and throw a few rocks in the malt. It’s just not my style mate.
    I get that Gray, but this whole situation and our response to it just makes me wonder how much of this is self fulfilled prophesy. Once you only see the downsides, then you discount the possibilty of an up side and you anticipate failure, and that is a joyless endeavour.

We still rail against the Board for selling Mick Jones (52 years ago now). Maybe we actually have an institutionalised lack of ambition. Maybe we're always thinking 'better sell him now, cause he might break his leg next week'. Maybe as a club (including the support), we just expect everything to end in tears, and it does end in tears because we never give it a real chance to do anything else, which just reinforces our view that everything we do ends in tears.

Having a plan to deal with disaster is sensible. Planning as if it IS going to be a disaster is corrosive.

I get that Gray, but this whole situation and our response to it just makes me wonder how much of this is self fulfilled prophesy. Once you only see the downsides, then you discount the possibilty of an up side and you anticipate failure, and that is a joyless endeavour.

We still rail against the Board for selling Mick Jones (52 years ago now). Maybe we actually have an institutionalised lack of ambition. Maybe we're always thinking 'better sell him now, cause he might break his leg next week'. Maybe as a club (including the support), we just expect everything to end in tears, and it does end in tears because we never give it a real chance to do anything else, which just reinforces our view that everything we do ends in tears.

Having a plan to deal with disaster is sensible. Planning as if it IS going to be a disaster is corrosive.
    Life always ends in tears. I thought everyone knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chips1889 View Post
    Life always ends in tears. I thought everyone knew that.
    All the more reason not to cry all the way through it...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast