+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A good read

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    Thanks for spoiling it Aya,I think as you get older the more likely you are to cry,I can’t watch an episode of DIY SOS without the waterworks
    Sorry BD thought everybody knew............agreed re DIY SOS tho - always a tear jerker.

There are two issues being confused on here

- my point on entering a competition a to win

-and the emotional impact of such an aim.

Bully, you say that CW is not a win at all costs but prefers to play open attractive football. Maybe he thinks that the best way to get a win, a bit like Klopp.

Ronnie , you bring in the emotional aspect of winning and your phlegmatic approach to that- maybe it's conditioning due to the raised expectations being dashed time after time that's influenced that.

Foe me the joy of sport is the emotional attachment, the endeavour, the underdog's fight, the technique. class and skill that seperate the very best from the also rans.

Like many others it seems I can shed a tear, sob a sob, be rendered speechless because, if I did speak, I would be a blubbering wreck!

Think of Jess Ennis ( forget the stand stuff) busting a gut to WIN the 800 metres to seal the Olympic gold when she could have jogged home to a comfortable finish and still have taken the gold but no, she fought to stand out as the very best.

Stood at Lords in 1987 after watching a nail biter won by Yorkshire on the last ball and being so happy, so proud.

I could go on but, no , it's not as important as life or death but , boy, such occasions do enhance life.

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    Thanks for spoiling it Aya,I think as you get older the more likely you are to cry,I can’t watch an episode of DIY SOS without the waterworks
    I've been a bit tearful this week, but I think its just my hormones...

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    We should all cry more, its good for us. I cried at Coronation Street on Monday - incredibly sad watching Aidan's suicide
    Is that what thee 'some viewers/upsetting scenes' was on about then?

I watched it whilst reading the papers and didn't realise he'd done that, just thought it was the normal cliffhanger end of episode.

'Pay more attention' as my teachers used to say

Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post
    Is that what thee 'some viewers/upsetting scenes' was on about then?

I watched it whilst reading the papers and didn't realise he'd done that, just thought it was the normal cliffhanger end of episode.

'Pay more attention' as my teachers used to say
    What is it about the soaps now-a-days that they seem to need to deal with 'issues' all the bleedin time. Someone committing suicide isn't really a topic for 7:30 evening 'family' viewing, is it? Corrie in particular used to have laughs in it. The Duckworths, The Gilroys, there were some gritty bits too but it wasn't all depressing and disturbing story lines. Eastenders has always been about stupid people shouting at each other, but Corrie was better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    What is it about the soaps now-a-days that they seem to need to deal with 'issues' all the bleedin time. Someone committing suicide isn't really a topic for 7:30 evening 'family' viewing, is it? Corrie in particular used to have laughs in it. The Duckworths, The Gilroys, there were some gritty bits too but it wasn't all depressing and disturbing story lines. Eastenders has always been about stupid people shouting at each other, but Corrie was better than that.
    Never watche EE FKB, always thought they looked like they could do with a good wash as my mother used to say.

As you say, Corrie, and others, seem to think they are a vehicle for airing the ;issues' of the day whatever their suitabilty for the audience. If any normal street had serial murderers roaming around and,factories burning down and over the years, everybody had slept with/married everyone else you might find it just a bit far fetched!

Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post
    Never watche EE FKB, always thought they looked like they could do with a good wash as my mother used to say.

As you say, Corrie, and others, seem to think they are a vehicle for airing the ;issues' of the day whatever their suitabilty for the audience. If any normal street had serial murderers roaming around and,factories burning down and over the years, everybody had slept with/married everyone else you might find it just a bit far fetched!
    Apparently, Ms Oates wanted to take Corrie to darker places.....bit like Emmerdale is...I complained to ITV and got a reply to say Corrie has always covered everyday issues etc etc.....yes, grooming and rape and double murders and now suicide. Aidan must have been watching this show!

I always record both programmes and swizz watch to the better bits.....not many lately. It's a bit like watching Wedsnesday

everybody had slept with/married everyone else you might find it just a bit far fetched!

Isn't this just life in barnsley

Quote Originally Posted by Chips1889 View Post
    Apparently, Ms Oates wanted to take Corrie to darker places.....bit like Emmerdale is...I complained to ITV and got a reply to say Corrie has always covered everyday issues etc etc.....yes, grooming and rape and double murders and now suicide. Aidan must have been watching this show!

I always record both programmes and swizz watch to the better bits.....not many lately. It's a bit like watching Wedsnesday
    Mrs FKB likes these dark drama series at 9pm on the BBC. Some dreadfully convoluted thing about sadistic mass murder subtitled from Swedish is her kind of thing. Ideal late evening viewing. I normally just hide the kitchen knives (in case she get some ideas), and go to bed!

I just don't get why drama has to be so obviously eager to probe even further into the evil excesses of human nature than the one last week. Then again, maybe I'm just getting old...

Can't wait for the final series of The Bridge. Scandinavian noir at it's best. Filled the time in watching the excellent Flemish Salamander series.
    Soaps? Last time I saw one was when Natalie Imbruglia had me standing to attention in Neighbours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast